1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Thanks again for your help! Based on the hardware that I have, what would you say would be a good starting point for OC settings?

First, run the CPU at stock speed and find the highest overclock you can get on your memory.
Then, lock in that memory speed and find the lowest voltage you can run 4.2GHz stable.
Finally, you can then work your way up in core clock and uclk to find the highest stable OC you can get while still keeping your chip cool.

Thanks again for your help! Based on the hardware that I have, what would you say would be a good starting point for OC settings?

people with hardware sigs are far more likely to be able to receive assistance......i for one have no idea what you have

Just got my x5650 and am trying to overclock. Currently I'm at 4.2 GHz which is Skyrim-stable but not Prime95-stable (4 GHz Prime95'd all night with in-place FFTs). I'm going to try to lower the memory mulitplier and see if it stabilizes. In the mean time, I have a question. I seem to have two cores that hit higher temperatures than the rest, both idle and under load:

idle_zps5db7424f.png

prime95_zpsd1f57e08.png

Is this something that can happen from extra core use, or do I need to reapply the thermal paste?

Also, I noticed that my chip came with a small but visible scratch on the lid near the center of the chip. Could this be the cause of the higher temperature on one core? If so, is there anything I can do about it?

Edit: Can I resize the above images to make them less obscenely large and blurry?

Last edited:
its perfectly normal for the most part.....its been talked about by more than a few people and i think its mainly just the way the chip is verses bad thermal grease application methods....never hurts to try for better right;)

Last edited:
As promised, some x58 vs x99 comparisons.
Fire Strike:
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/2888794/fs/2899587

Skydiver:
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/sd/2409635/sd/2400162

Cinebench:

This thing crushes cinebench! The clock is incorrectly identified. It's 4.5GHz.

I'll do some LinX as soon as I actually make this overclock LinX stable. Have yet to really master this chip, but it seems to be decent.

Thank you for the comparisons....very nice indeed;)....it also points out our current hexa cores ares still fairly competitive considering there age and cost

My 5670 arrived today, pink esd-ish bag dropped into a bubble mailer. I'll reflash to stock bios and install the cpu in the next couple days.

This chip runs cold, holy crap! With a 20C ambient (thermometer on same wall as computer), it idles average 24C stock, with voltage hovering 1.0V +/- 0.025V. Prime95 small-FFT runs 39-46C, and this P6T hasn't kicked out of turbo yet (24x multi, 3.2GHz), voltage steady at 1.176V.

Cooled with a Thermalright Silver Arrow and MX-4 paste, nothing crazy.

Hey all, long time [H] reader/lurker (15 years or so on and off). Just wanted to thanks for helping me extend the life of my 1366 rig! I was considering tossing it after putting together a $700 i5 system for my mother in law and being surprised and slightly jealous at how fast it was vs my 920 @ 3.8ghz.

While poking around looking for my next upgrade I stumbled on this genius thread and ended up pickup up a X5660 off ebay. It's running nice and cool at 4.2ghz stable at 1.275v (23x183). My P6T turbo throttle kicks it back down to 4ghz when I lean on it (transcoding, IBT) but never when I'm gaming so it's only a minor annoyance at least.

Either way I'm damn happy I only have to spend another $350 or so on a 970 to finish my upgrading instead of having to upgrade the entire platform. :)

Since my 5670 passed stock testing (eBay, never know!), I've spent this morning playing with bclk and uncore. Jammed it up to 200MHz bclk, 3200MHz Uncore at 1.30Vtt and have been doing testing as I drop Vtt and keep cpu at 3.2GHz. I'm down to 1.25Vtt now, but I'm not sure how much less this chip can take. My 920-D0 wanted 1.35V+ for the same bclk/uncore before I dropped in this Xeon. Temps are only up to 44-50C from a 21C ambient. I'm still quite impressed!

edit: I was stable down to 1.225Vtt, but the jump to 1.20Vtt got me an x124 stop code shortly after starting Linx. I'll live with 1.225Vtt. :D

Last edited:
3200MHz Uncore is not considered an overclock. You have to breach 3600MHz Uncore to be considered 'out of stock operation.'

You also have to remember that the load on your IMC is a big factor. A 6GB memory kit at ANY speed(even if it's like 2400MHz) will need less VTT than a 12GB memory kit at just 1600MHz. And likewise 24GB will require even more VTT.

TL;DR: If you were to change off your 6GB 1600MHz CAS 9 memory kit to a 12GB kit of ANY speed, you'll need to increase your VTT.

At stock 133bclk and uncore multiplier on auto, it runs at 133*16=2128MHz. My P6T doesn't change the auto multiplier for the uncore if I change from 1066MHz DDR3 to 1333, so it doesn't appear to be following the old 2:1 rule in this BIOS (I thought it might have been). The QPI link runs at 3200MHz stock, and mine was humming along at 3600MHz just fine at 200bclk.

I haven't updated my sig yet for the recent changes. I couldnt find any 12GB kits in stock that would have fit under my heatsink, so I got a 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance low-profile kit shortly before ordering my 5670. My 920 wouldn't seem to run any less Vtt with the dual channel kit at the same 3200MHz uncore as it was before.

Last edited:
32nm LGA1366 uncore lower limit rule is 1.5:1 vs the 2:1 of 45nm LGA1366. However, the actual 'rating' is still up to 3200MHz, and you still see performance improvements up until about 2:1.

Your transistors are now 32nm, and require less power than your old 920's 45nm transistors. You're also seeing lower voltage requirements because you're only using two of your three memory channels.

Lastly, silver arrow supports memory up to 45mm tall, you should basically be able to fit anything but the tallest modules. Here's a picture of 45mm tall mushkin ridgeback mounted under a silver arrow:
05205450229l.JPG

I actually happen to have one of those kits for sale that I was using with my 990x. 999052 1866MHz 9-9-9-27-1T 1.5v

The sink itself clears the proper dimm slots, but the dual 140mm fan housings and ends of the heatpipes leave impressions in the stock sound-deadening foam of my case panel (Silverstone Fortress FT01), and the first fan had to rest on the heat spreaders of my previous XMS3. I could have moved the fans to pull/pull and cleared space above the dimm slots, but there wouldn't have been much space to the rear case fan (and it'd be tight around the mobo backplate connections) and cooling/noise would have been affected. I didn't even think about changing the first fan to 120mm for clearance like in that pic, but it would have helped!

I didn't see any speed ratings for the uncore anywhere, I even had to change back to stock just to post up the speed above. All I really found was people saying that getting above 3200MHz uncore started requiring a fair bit more voltage. I'm not sure I'll bother overclocking my ram past the rated 1600MHz it's at now, but I may try dropping timings from 9-9-9-24-1T.

Currently priming 200x21 at 1.325V, temps 60-71C. :)

edit: Rats, got a x3b stop code right at the 1 hour mark of Prime small-FFT. Tried 4.4ghz at 1.35vcore to see if it would work, got the same 3b stop code while loading Windows. Looks like I've got enough wiggle room to get 4.2 stable at under 1.35V, so not too shabby. Currently at 1.3375V in bios, 1.336V in CPU-z.

Last edited:
Speaking of ram, what 3x4GB kit is everybodies favorite/recommended? Should i look for some samsung wonderram(worth it?) Or look at some 4x4 kits and just use 3?

Speaking of ram, what 3x4GB kit is everybodies favorite/recommended? Should i look for some samsung wonderram(worth it?) Or look at some 4x4 kits and just use 3?

Honestly if i were going to purchase new ran it likely be 8 gig sticks.....that its if i were:) but these are appealing if i were shopping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148540
Capture_zps3b531cda.png
[/URL][/IMG]
course i never been a person who could side grade.......has to be be double if im changing it out lol

Last edited:
i dont believe my mobo supports 8gb modules :(

right now i have a 3x2gb 1600

What board? Most didn't include them in their lists because they weren't out yet. It'd all be up to the bios, which should be updated for compatability. Even the older P6T Deluxe v1 special 0006 bios ran fine with 8GB modules.

I have a H60 leftover... is that enough to cool a L5639 to 4.0ghz likely? (GB UD3R MOBO, 24GB RAM)

Yes easily. I have a H55 cooling a x5650 at 4ghz which is hotter processor to start with.

The real question is if you'll be lucky enough to get a L5639 to 4ghz. Not always 'guaranteed' with that processor unlike a x5650-70.

Yes easily. I have a H55 cooling a x5650 at 4ghz which is hotter processor to start with.

The real question is if you'll be lucky enough to get a L5639 to 4ghz. Not always 'guaranteed' with that processor unlike a x5650-70.

Gotcha!

I'm finding the 48GB to be just a bit too much. I have somewhere else to put it and I'm currently looking for some 8GB modules with tight timings, havn't found anything in my area lower than 9 9 9 24 which is disappointing.

Yeah I'm in New Zealand so that isn't going to work, can't get any crucial ram larger the 4GB.

I'm looking at higher speed ram now, I can get G.Skill ram, that is about as good as I'm going to get here, the Corsair stuff is worse for more money.

This is probably the best I can get unless somone can recommend something that can overclock well.

What board? Most didn't include them in their lists because they weren't out yet. It'd all be up to the bios, which should be updated for compatability. Even the older P6T Deluxe v1 special 0006 bios ran fine with 8GB modules.

Foxconn flaming blade. Found a user with a bloodrage(higher end mobo) tried 3x8 and could not get it to post with 3 sticks, only 2

Last edited:
I guess my thought was you could run just 3 sticks instead of 6 and it would make it easier to overclock? I thought i remembered that in one of your lessons but i get confused easily lol....course i been using 6 sticks for years so what do i know:)

It's all about IMC load.

3x 2gb sticks is less load than 3x 4gb sticks.
3x 4gb sticks is less load than 3x 8gb sticks.
6x 2gb sticks is more load than 3x 4gb sticks.
6x 4gb sticks is more load than 3x 8gb sticks.

But, I would expect 6x 2gb sticks to actually be LESS load than 3x 8gb sticks.

My main issue is that $90 a stick is almost DDR4 prices. Can't really justify paying that much for ram for such an old system.

I'm stuck at what appears to be a stable 4.55ghz and I really want that rounded magical 4.6... However if I try to increase the blck beyond 208 it'll crash within 5 minutes yet 208 have been running ibt/prime for the past 8 hours.

Seriously wondering if I'm at the limit.

cpu: 1.45
ram: 1.6
pll: 1.9
vtt: 1.34

x20 w/turbo = 22 x 207.5 blck = 4.56ghz

ram set at x8 with uncore at x12.

I might try lowering the pll and turning off the turbo and use a high multi instead, but I doubt a crazy 230 blck x20 will be anymore stable than 208x22.

Opinions?

RJmpehC.jpg

I'm stuck at what appears to be a stable 4.55ghz and I really want that rounded magical 4.6... However if I try to increase the blck beyond 208 it'll crash within 5 minutes yet 208 have been running ibt/prime for the past 8 hours.

Seriously wondering if I'm at the limit.

cpu: 1.45
ram: 1.6
pll: 1.9
vtt: 1.34

x20 w/turbo = 22 x 207.5 blck = 4.56ghz

ram set at x8 with uncore at x12.

I might try lowering the pll and turning off the turbo and use a high multi instead, but I doubt a crazy 230 blck x20 will be anymore stable than 208x22.

Opinions?

RJmpehC.jpg

We have covered this topic to death lol.....use the highest multi possible and lowest blck to get your best overclock....this is proven time and time again in this thread since it allows lower voltages to achieve the same clocks

It's all about IMC load.

3x 2gb sticks is less load than 3x 4gb sticks.
3x 4gb sticks is less load than 3x 8gb sticks.
6x 2gb sticks is more load than 3x 4gb sticks.
6x 4gb sticks is more load than 3x 8gb sticks.

But, I would expect 6x 2gb sticks to actually be LESS load than 3x 8gb sticks.

My main issue is that $90 a stick is almost DDR4 prices. Can't really justify paying that much for ram for such an old system.

thanks for the lesson......now i get it;) And your right as truthfully i haven't needed more than 12 gigs so far

Last edited:
So I have 200x21 Prime "stable" (8 hours before I stopped it), 1.344v. I'll have to try the 22x multi and see what voltage I need for 4.2. I also have the P6T WS Pro bios ready on my flash drive, I might have to use it for the 24x multi to play some more.

So I have 200x21 Prime "stable" (8 hours before I stopped it), 1.344v. I'll have to try the 22x multi and see what voltage I need for 4.2. I also have the P6T WS Pro bios ready on my flash drive, I might have to use it for the 24x multi to play some more.

if you do try that let me know the full details on the cross flashing.......im not going to try it unless i get full sure confirmation it helps and doesn't screw anything up since at the moment everything is working perfect

if you do try that let me know the full details on the cross flashing.......im not going to try it unless i get full sure confirmation it helps and doesn't screw anything up since at the moment everything is working perfect

Well, I tried cross flashing my P6T Deluxe V1 to a P6T WS PRO (ver. 1205) a few weeks ago and everything went swimmingly. I can confirm cross flashing did allow my X5670 to lock in turbo multi (24x in my case) without any throttling whatsoever. Stability wise, I needed the same exact voltages as with an original P6T Deluxe BIOS. One thing I didn't like was that ASUS ExpressGate storage memory would appear as a USB drive in Windows. Anyway, I'm back to an original P6T Deluxe BIOS now. Too bad I forgot to test if I could decrease VTT voltage without losing stability while on WS PRO BIOS.

Well, I tried cross flashing my P6T Deluxe V1 to a P6T WS PRO (ver. 1205) a few weeks ago and everything went swimmingly. I can confirm cross flashing did allow my X5670 to lock in turbo multi (24x in my case) without any throttling whatsoever. Stability wise, I needed the same exact voltages as with an original P6T Deluxe BIOS. One thing I didn't like was that ASUS ExpressGate storage memory would appear as a USB drive in Windows. Anyway, I'm back to an original P6T Deluxe BIOS now. Too bad I forgot to test if I could decrease VTT voltage without losing stability while on WS PRO BIOS.

hmm what benefits did you get from this?

I myself have a rev 1 deluxe.

The biggest benefit was the ability to run my X5670 at turbo multiplier without throttling (when multi drops down in order to save power in this case). The WS PRO BIOS overcomes this issue by adding "High TDP Turbo Mode" which allows a CPU to go over its original power consumption "envelope" while in turbo mode, which is good news when you overclock. And this, of course, allows you to drop down BLCK frequency for the same overclock and thus offload some stress from the integrated memory controller (IMC). Also, don't forget to disable C-States when overclocking with turbo multiplier to prevent it from going to its maximum in single-threaded workloads (25x in case of an X5670).

Last edited:
Work had an extra x5660, so I took that home and installed it in my R3E. I booted up an only 16GB out of 24GB was showing. For the past two hours I've reset bios, gone through each DIMM, checked tracers, etc.

I installed the CPU and bent two pins. Bent them back and now I'm at 4.4GHz at only 1.36v with the 24GB of RAM. Better than my i7 970 that couldn't go past 4GHz without throwing errors at 1.4v!

Bent pins = bad. ;-)

Last edited:

If you could give us detailed instructions on how to to this including download links i would be much appreciated. I'll give it a try on my board and see if it at least allows me to lower my voltage if nothing else.....Who knows i might could get a higher overclock:D

Back