1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

What does everyone recommend for a used X58 board?

I traded for a 980X and I am looking to do a backup machine/girlfriends house computer.

Looks like most people are using the ASUS P6T but these still go for close to $200 used? Or I am looking in the wrong place?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Intel-D...145882028?pt=Motherboards&hash=item51c1ecf1ac

Are those any good? I don't think I will try for more than 4Ghz.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What does everyone recommend for a used X58 board?

I traded for a 980X and I am looking to do a backup machine/girlfriends house computer.

Looks like most people are using the ASUS P6T but these still go for close to $200 used? Or I am looking in the wrong place?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Intel-D...145882028?pt=Motherboards&hash=item51c1ecf1ac

Are those any good? I don't think I will try for more than 4Ghz.

Without question the King of X58 mobos is the Asus Rampage 3. Even on ebay nowadays good luck finding one for less than $300. Otherwise there are several slightly lesser but decent mobos out their. I have the P6X58D-E myself and its pretty decent. Lotta guys have the sabertooth. But Gigabyte was popular so was EVGA. At this point you kinda have to get what you can find used. Any semi-decent x58 should run you around $200 ebay maybe less if you find a good deal so yes you're looking in the right place.

Honestly I'd stay away from Intel boards since Intel has closed down its motherboard division.

The main expense with these machines is the motherboard it seems.

As Gonzo mentioned the R3E is king and I wouldn't trade it. However, every x58 I built for other people was on the Gigabyte x58 UD3H.

I have a P6X58D Premium which is a great board, 200BCLK is no problem and it is capable of delivering CPU killing voltage with a jumper on the board if you have a peltier or phase change.

After giving it further thought i guess gonzo had a really good point in that being about to use higher multi's does really help getting the highest speed....i sorta forgot but with my board im only able to use 22 multi in reality since 23 is not selectable and 24 appears to be just turbo speed

so that really only gives me 21 or 22....i guess im my case a 5660 would achieve that exact same overclock since....hmmmm i guess i will try around with 195 blck and see if shes 100% at 4300mhz and possibly i could lower one of my unsafe voltages....i could also try Zosons ideas and go for 190blck using the 22 multi...never hurts to try and see if i can get into the safe voltage range:) when i get time and give it some tests to see if it allows a bit lower voltage here and there

I put the following into Google: quick sync quality

The first hit is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

Quick Sync, like other hardware accelerated video encoding technologies, gives lower quality results than with CPU only encoders. Speed is prioritized over quality.[6]

We can also see from Anandtech's bench that in his suite of 20 tests, only two games show a difference greater than 3-5%: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/444?vs=1260

If we consider that very small performance difference with the very large performance gains in anything multithreaded, it's clear that socket 1150 systems have very little at all to offer anyone with an x58 based system.

After giving it further thought i guess gonzo had a really good point in that being about to use higher multi's does really help getting the highest speed....i sorta forgot but with my board im only able to use 22 multi in reality since 23 is not selectable and 24 appears to be just turbo speed

so that really only gives me 21 or 22....i guess im my case a 5660 would achieve that exact same overclock since....hmmmm i guess i will try around with 195 blck and see if shes 100% at 4300mhz and possibly i could lower one of my unsafe voltages....i could also try Zosons ideas and go for 190blck using the 22 multi...never hurts to try and see if i can get into the safe voltage range:) when i get time and give it some tests to see if it allows a bit lower voltage here and there

Can you not fully lock in 24 as a multiplier with your motherboard? I mean yes, it will be a "turbo" multiplier, but I can force it (all cores 24x) with my board.

Can you not fully lock in 24 as a multiplier with your motherboard? I mean yes, it will be a "turbo" multiplier, but I can force it (all cores 24x) with my board.

unfortunately no....Asus work station boards are very nice but don't have some of the features of the higher end models like the rampage 3 as some of the people here have...now im relatively sure if im only pushing 2 cores it will turbo to 24 but its no biggie since my chip is really only rock solid at 4200mhz......maybe just luck of the draw idk:)

unfortunately no....Asus work station boards are very nice but don't have some of the features of the higher end models like the rampage 3 as some of the people here have...now im relatively sure if im only pushing 2 cores it will turbo to 24 but its no biggie since my chip is really only rock solid at 4200mhz......maybe just luck of the draw idk:)

Don't feel bad :) I have an R3E and mine is happiest at 4.2 as well. Had a 5670 before my 5660 that barely did 4 at the same voltage...

Hello all. If i wefe to build a brand new system, zhould i look for an.x5650 and an X58 board to overclock ?

Well gents as you can see from my sig there have been a few changes in my rig. I have abandoned the hope for getting my channel A ram back. Nothing I tried worked. So I actually took out the first two sticks and I'm down to 8GB via dual channel. The bright side is my system performance does not appear to be worse for wear. Also took a shot in the dark that by reducing the burden on my IMC I might be daily to stabilize a higher OC. So I'm now at 4.6 [210x22] as my 24x7. This is with the exact same voltages [vcore/PLL/QPI] I ran at 4.5 [205x22]. Everything I can do at 4.5 I am now doing at 4.6. Although a reduction from 12 to 8 gig of ram was not my ideal I'm making the best of it and after all 8gb in win 7 isn't crippled. I'm not rendering videos with any frequency at the moment. Eventually I supposed I'll grab a 8gbx2 or 4gbx4 kit, probably try and sell my 2gbx6 .
Anyway, all things considered the only time my cpu really maxes out at the full 4.6 across all cores is during gaming for me right now. Truth be told I'm probably gaming on this rig only 5-10 hours a week. Right now just being on the internet, speed step kicks in and I'm actually down at 2.5Ghz most of the time. So I'm not truly at 4.6Ghz 24/7 but its there as soon as I call upon it.
So barring something unforeseen this is my new 24/7 daily driver. 210x22 but alas just with 2gbx4 :( oh well. BF4 is the only game I play where I've seen system ram use top even 6GB and I don't play that much anymore. Movie editing is so infrequent that I suppose this is good enough until I get around to doubling the ram. I've read enough data online to feel fine running dual vs triple channel. Seems like its a virtual wash.

Hello all. If i wefe to build a brand new system, zhould i look for an.x5650 and an X58 board to overclock ?

Depends on how cheap you can find a decent mother board for.....90% of us were just upgrading our 920's from years ago and already had everything else....If starting a new build most would try to invest in newer tech...if you do a lot of movie encoding then hexa cores would really benefit you.....you would just have to do the math and compare but if you found a good overclocking board for 200 or less then its a very good value but the higher the motherboard ends up being the less of a value it ends up being

I think in the end these cpu's more or less equal modern intel quad cores with ht (core i7's) in most category's except single core performance...on the amd side these still beat even the newest and fastest amd's with out breaking a sweat....if your budget allows for it go for the newer tech and if not these are still good systems but most of us stayed with it because of the low cost upgrades.

I got a 980x basically for free so I am trying to build my first x58 as a backup but if you do not currently have a system it isn't a great way to go. You can get a new 4th gen i5 and a cheap H81 motherboard for about the same price as some high end used X58 motherboards. X58 is fun because it kind of strikes me as Intel's last great power usage was no concern, heat was no concern, all-in enthusiast system.

Ugh, just bought the rog swift, so no money for that deal, amazing deal tho!

Just a heads up, here's the best deal I've seen on x5675's if you desire a higher multiplier. Beware the $8 s/h. Seller appears to be reputable. I'm debating it for myself, since turbo is a no-go for me.

Ugh, just bought the rog swift, so no money for that deal, amazing deal tho!

You can say that again. That's less than most of the 5660's are going for and less than all 5670's. 100% positive feedback with over 8K reviews. Plus is OBO so you could probably offer $120 to negate the shipping
25x multi across all cores wowza :eek: Only need 200BCLK for 5Ghz.:p

I just offered $120 to effectively get free shipping. Accepted :)

Bad news is, I need to do a solder reflow on my ICH10 :(

X58, IMHO one of the finest platforms Intel has made. Hopefully, I will get back on it soon, as I do need some CPU muscle, and my current rigs do not have it.

Just bought an X5650, hopefully it will arrive next week. Too bad I sold my RIIE as I need a mATX mobo for it to fit on my second rig. Hopefully a RIII Gene isn't that expensive. I also need to see if I can get my ole W3530 to 5 GHz just for the lulz :D

http://valid.canardpc.com/2704567

Just saw this on OCN.
900x900px-LL-cf3f8ac8_CPU-Z.jpeg

That vcore at that speed makes me tempted. I know I'm comfortable at 1.45vcore. I know YMMV but have to think 4.8 to do-able there

My biggest beef with OCN is they do not believe in stability. 99.9% chance that OC is not stable at all, and that voltage is the absolute bare minimum needed to boot windows and grab that screenshot.

Lastly, this person has two cores disabled so this cpu is running 4c8t not 6c12t. :rolleyes:

My biggest beef with OCN is they do not believe in stability. 99.9% chance that OC is not stable at all, and that voltage is the absolute bare minimum needed to boot windows and grab that screenshot.

Lastly, this person has two cores disabled so this cpu is running 4c8t not 6c12t. :rolleyes:
I might be able to run stable at that speed/voltage with my 5670 (all 6 cores though). I'm on my phone right now so I can't check just yet. I'm with you, if there is no benchmark included in the screenshot, I just assume it's a boot and screen grab.

Couldn't match his vcore exactly, mine would either come in at 1.328 (and not complete the bench) or 1.344, meh...I ran it at ~4520.

Hey boys we got a shout out in the article's sub title :p
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/08/29/intel_haswelle_core_i75960x_cpu_x99_chipset/1#.VADQNlVdWko
Although I kinda thought Kyle wasn't found of this thread with all the policing he's had to do here

Yeah I saw that.

I wish Kyle would have done the benchmarking with an overclocked 5650-70. With so many of us now using 6C/12T processors on x58 I think that direct official comparison would have been really neat-o. The x99 is really the only thing worth upgrading to.

While I do find X99 tempting, I don't see anything to it that would really boost my performance...most of the tools I work with are still very single-thread dependent..I'm not doing encoding of video more than once or twice a year. Looking at the gaming performance, it's pretty much dead even across all the latest platforms. GPU dependant.

Provided I don't kill my motherboard doing a solder reflow, I'll be with x58 for the foreseeable future.

Yeah I saw that.

I wish Kyle would have done the benchmarking with an overclocked 5650-70. With so many of us now using 6C/12T processors on x58 I think that direct official comparison would have been really neat-o. The x99 is really the only thing worth upgrading to.

Yeah it still won't change my opinion which is to wait for Skylake. Like he said in the article my money is better spent on a gpu.

If any of you guys are interested in adding a little pep to your x58 :D just got mine setup. Plextor M6e PX-AG256M6e

d2c2d62bb4f693662c450306503a21b7.png

Depends on how cheap you can find a decent mother board for.....90% of us were just upgrading our 920's from years ago and already had everything else....If starting a new build most would try to invest in newer tech...if you do a lot of movie encoding then hexa cores would really benefit you.....you would just have to do the math and compare but if you found a good overclocking board for 200 or less then its a very good value but the higher the motherboard ends up being the less of a value it ends up being

I think in the end these cpu's more or less equal modern intel quad cores with ht (core i7's) in most category's except single core performance...on the amd side these still beat even the newest and fastest amd's with out breaking a sweat....if your budget allows for it go for the newer tech and if not these are still good systems but most of us stayed with it because of the low cost upgrades.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/401796/FX_8320_Black_Edition_35GHz_AM3_Boxed_Processor

I can buy this fx8320 CPU for 119, plus a good motherboard about $100. $219 for the combo, which I plan to overclock to around 4.5 Ghz. Will this combo be better or worse than an x5650 + x58 motherboard ?

testing some advice from zoson....but so far looks very promising....4.5ghz with safe voltages but this could only be the start

Capture_zps0b43d1e5.png
[/URL][/IMG]
Yeah I saw that.

well to some degree we can do it our self, at least with POV-Ray
Capture_zps4347581c.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Capture_zps481eec15.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Running at 4200mhz is slightly faster than Haswell if I'm reading this correctly.... about 2 seconds faster anyway and ruffly 22 seconds faster than the AMD FX 8-Core Black Edition FX-9590. So all in all were not hurting to bad score wise:), but I will admit Haswell-E does look impressive compared to the rest(except for price:(). Kyle made a good point that this new chip and system could make a nice upgrade once prices come down a bit and its been out long enough:D. Makes a guy wonder how much better Intel Shylake can get.

Cinebench 11.5 is about that same following in between Haswell and sandy bridge
Capture_zpsd0d12374.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Capture2_zpsb9b417a8.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Ivy bridge, Haswell and AMD is again left in the dust even thought there much newer tech

Capture_zps0b43d1e5.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Capture2_zpscd853794.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
:eek: holy jebus what controller is that on? I couldn't do that on my x58 my evo capped at 270/270 :(

I'm sure it's just hooked into the on board Intel raid controller using nothing but win 8 stock drivers, but magician makes it look faster then it really is buy using system ram to boost the read speeds. So take it for for its worth, but it does make for a pretty benchmark.;)

I'm sure it's just hooked into the on board Intel raid controller using nothing but win 8 stock drivers, but magician makes it look faster then it really is buy using system ram to boost the read speeds. So take it for for its worth, but it does make for a pretty benchmark.;)

I've got the 840EVO myself and when I saw your numbers I too concluded you had rapid mode enabled. Still I'm super pleased with this drive. I also get some crazy above average synthetic bench data numbers but at the end of the day what matters is real world use. Even using this drive on SATA2 everything other than games opens instantly and I still remember this first time I tried Crysis on this last year compared with my previous HDD the load times were much faster. In fact to this day only BF4 still has long load times for me

testing some advice from zoson....but so far looks very promising....4.5ghz with safe voltages but this could only be the start

:) I like the sound of that. I mean I'm up at 4.6 myself but I am the limit on all his safe voltages i.e. vcore 1.45, PLL 1.88, QPI 1.35. I know you where running down at 4.2 for a long time but I'm not at all surprised to see you at 4.5. These chips are completely capable of mid 4Ghz speeds with 24/7 stability on anything. There is a part of me which was and I suppose maybe still is slightly concerned with voltages. I did run 4.4Ghz on vcore 1.35, PLL 1.8 QPI 1.3 for those first few weeks and those levels were nothing to worry about at all. But I suppose since I am stable at 4.6 I'm not worried enough to make a change. 4.6 vs 4.4 I guess that's not a titanic difference but the [H] part of me keeps me with the 4.6 on the higher voltage.

Please do share and revelations if you have them once all this testing is done.

Back