1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Yeah it doesn't make any sense to me at all, even the original 0402 BIOS supports the 980X so it should work just fine. When I got the board to finally post with the X5677 I found that it had 12xx loaded on one bios, and 1501 on the other, they both should work fine.

Also the X5677 is identical to the X5670, it just has 2 cores disabled. All I get is the CPU error light permanently lit. get the same with the X5670 and the i7 930, it must have something to do with the delid. :(

Well I'm stuck, can't get the rampage 3 to post with the 5670 or the i7 930 and I can't figure out why. As a last ditch effort I threw in the 5677 and it worked, updated the bios but it still won't post with the 5670.

Anyone got any1. try resetting the bios as its slightly different from updating it..you never know
make sure the power supp is not missing any important wire going to the motherboad...it possible one dam cord got bumped and is missing a wire or 2

try taking anything out take case and reseet everything just to be sure:p

i wounder if your power supply doesn't has enough power? whats the make and model?

sometimes it helps pulling out every pci card in the board except the videro card...once you get it posting you can go back on at at time and possibly locate hopefully a faulty sound card or something

last but not least you have to try that cpu in a different pc....much as i hate to say it...it could have bit the dusk

hope one of these ideas helps bud....fucking killer system to go down:eek:

I'm going to switch back to my P6X58D.

I noticed that the wafer of both the X5670 and the i7 are slightly warped but the X5677 is completely flat, I'm guessing that is whats causing the R3E to complain, there must be something different about the socket on the board that makes it more sensitive to the warped package.

I'm going to try to flatten the wafer to see if I can get it working but at this stage I've spent many hours messing with this thing, at least I still have an option of building a server, albeit not exactly what I wanted.

try resetting the bios as its slightly different from updating it..you never know
make sure the power supp is not missing any important wire going to the motherboad...it possible one dam cord got bumped and is missing a wire or 2

try taking anything out take case and reseet everything just to be sure:p

i wounder if your power supply doesn't has enough power? whats the make and model?

sometimes it helps pulling out every pci card in the board except the videro card...once you get it posting you can go back on at at time and possibly locate hopefully a faulty sound card or something

last but not least you have to try that cpu in a different pc....much as i hate to say it...it could have bit the dusk

hope one of these ideas helps bud....fucking killer system to go down:eek:

Perhaps I should have mentioned, have been building PCs for 14 years, at least half of those years in a professional capacity.

Perhaps I should have mentioned, have been building PCs for 14 years, at least half of those years in a professional capacity.

nope that part was pretty clear....but we all tend to forgot her an there...good luck gettig it fxed

Sorry.. I been working a lot!

I am using a EVGA X58 3way Sli board with bios 83.. i'm trying to see how far I can push the chip on stock settings and why it says 1.2v as 23x is stock for 5660, these cpu's don't support 1600Mhz ram as it down clocks to 1066Mhz ..so I should be able to keep going till I reach an area the cpu does not like on the ram speed.. I am at 1333 now i think at 3.7Ghz as I did bump dram voltage up to 1.525v as stock for my ram is 1.65v at 1600Mhz..

I feel that ram speed is the key in being stable as to a point not to cross to which i have not found it yet as to see how far the cpu will let the ram run at ,,because Intel charts says 1066 and 1333 is all it can support.

http://ark.intel.com/products/47921/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5660-12M-Cache-2_80-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI

So before you start bumping that vcore up to unsafe levels which Intel says 1.35 max.. play with your ram speeds as to keep it at 1333 or below.

I think I have figured out the problem but I'm not sure exactly how to solve it yet.

I pulled the motherboard out and removed all my cable routing, re-installed the retention bracket minus the top plate to reduce flexing when the WB is installed, placed rubber washers on the WB retention bracket that goes on the back to ensure it wouldn't make contact with anything on the board, put the X5670 back in aaaaaaand.

It didn't work :mad:

So I thought fuck it, time to pull out the multimeter. a quick test and I find that all the voltages are normal except for the vcore which is 0.91v, seriously WTF? so the X5677 must be the only CPU I have that can POST with that voltage, IIRC my P6X58D runs this chip at 1.15v (or close to it) am I wrong here guys?

So what do I do with this motherboard? send it back? or should I chuck in the X5677 and boost the volts hoping it will stick when I change the CPU?

Anyone know a way of boosting the CPU volts without changing the bios?

Swapped out the cpu again, the x5677 gets 0.96v pre post which is 0.05 more than the x5670. It then almost immediately goes up to the default voltage and posts.

I'm going to try tweaking the volts but I don't think it's going to work.

I can't find any options to change the starting voltage.

Swapped out the cpu again, the x5677 gets 0.96v pre post which is 0.05 more than the x5670. It then almost immediately goes up to the default voltage and posts.

I'm going to try tweaking the volts but I don't think it's going to work.

I can't find any options to change the starting voltage.

fuck man....sorry you got a bad mb from ebay ...that shit sucks.....for shits and giggles possibly asus people could help......when i had an isue for this same cpmpany it was painless and easy.............but that was like 5 years ago and all they had to do was send me a new rom chip.....hopefully those assholes cross ship you a replacement:mad:

unnamed_zpsc4499572.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Deimos Thank You for the free biso mods page...as you can see mine is running the newer raid no problem as seen here ( before it was 9.xxx)

fuck man....sorry you got a bad mb from ebay ...that shit sucks.....for shits and giggles possibly asus people could help......when i had an isue for this same cpmpany it was painless and easy.............but that was like 5 years ago and all they had to do was send me a new rom chip.....hopefully those assholes cross ship you a replacement:mad:

Nope, MB is fine, CPU is fucked, threw it in the P6X58D, no post. I must have killed it when putting it in the R3E, possibly too much pressure from the WB when I screwed it on.

So lesson learned, delid is totally not worth the risk.

Back to the X5677 for now, I'm gonna order a couple of X5670s off ebay, There are a few listings selling pairs so I might as well get two and use one for the server at work and no more delidding. that was an expensive experiment...

Last edited:
Nope, MB is fine, CPU is fucked, threw it in the P6X58D, no post. I must have killed it when putting it in the R3E.

So lesson learned, delid is totally not worth the risk.

Back to the X5677 for now, I'm gonna order a couple of X5670s off ebay, There are a few listings selling pairs so I might as well get two and use one for the server at work and no more delidding. that was an expensive experiment...

what do you think Exactly caused the damage? Sees like it was working perfect for quite a few weeks? and if that was/is the case please edit the forum post i linked to explaining what is thought to have gone wrong, so see people don't make the same mistakes....if only reading the post linked to from the first page...it was said before and ill say it again you were being a pioneer in a subject that most don't have the balls to try;)

btw you can mail it to me for about 4bucks and i can try and see if it works in mine ( ack new zealand...errr would cost a lot to send here)

Last edited:
Deimos Thank You for the free biso mods page...as you can see mine is running the newer raid no problem as seen here ( before it was 9.xxx)

Awesome, notice any speed improvements?

I've just ordered a pair of X5670s for $320 + shipping.

At least I can get this R3E up and running now that I know I did something stupid...

Awesome, notice any speed improvements?
it wll be very tough to identify exactly the amount of speed improvement as there 6 year old enterprise level drives. but ill run a few tests when i get time:) ( i should have ran some quick before tests)

Your were not by chance using conductive thermal gresse? where you?

Last edited:
I was using the same thermal paste as before until I ran out.

I probably screwed the wb on too tight because when I installed the x5677 I checked the clearance between the block and the socket as I was screwing it on.

I can't see any physical damage but i can't think of what else it might be.

what do you think Exactly caused the damage? Sees like it was working perfect for quite a few weeks? and if that was/is the case please edit the forum post i linked to explaining what is thought to have gone wrong, so see people don't make the same mistakes....if only reading the post linked to from the first page...it was said before and ill say it again you were being a pioneer in a subject that most don't have the balls to try;)

btw you can mail it to me for about 4bucks and i can try and see if it works in mine ( ack new zealand...errr would cost a lot to send here)

I'm going to edit my first post on here with full delid details, I'll just go through and combine all my posts.

Well, I get to make my first post in this thread. Got my X5650 about a month ago before realizing my E760 motherboard was going to require a hard mod to work. Luckly, EVGA stands behind their products and took the nearly 5 year old motherboard back to do the mod for free. I would have done it, but I've yet void my warranty and there's only remnants of information left from 2011/12 when people were actively discussing such topics (image hosts be damned!).

With my motherboard back, I fired up the system on my bench and started looking for any immediate issues. Passed 24hrs of memtest. Just for fun I tinkered with overclocking. My board was always limited to 210 BCLK max, and this proved no different (All multipliers at minimum). I still hit a wall there, no matter where my VTT is set.

My old I7 920 would handle the 210 BCLK quite well. Did so for years at 1.45Vcore. But, It seems this Xeon isn't going to do so hot. When I put the multiplier back up to 20 and started aiming for 200BCLK, I found some tough sledding. Tried raising voltage little by little. Didn't seem to matter that I was at 1.35V. It was just a quick and dirty try, so I may be able to coax it higher. But so far, I think I only got to 3650Mhz on it without any immediate MemTest fails (I've yet to boot windows). Knowing these are a smaller process CPU I'm leery about raising the voltage above 1.3. That might even be too much.

Deimos sucks about the dead cpu's.

primetime you are spooking me with all this 1.35v max talk. Last week plus I've been pleasantly cruising along at 1.375v BIOS which for me only yield either 1.36 or 1.368 in CPUZ. Rock Solid at 4.4Ghz. No that my IBT, Cinebench runs are in the rearview I never see this baby over the low 70's on the two hot cores and the 4 cooler ones will usually stay below 70C when gaming or what not. I don't know there has to be a balance between voltage and temperature. I mean if I had some Intel stock cooler on this and was running stock speeds and voltages but was actually warmer that has to mean something. So many guys on genuine custom water loops [not AIO] are running higher voltages than any of us on air simple because they aren't approaching the temp threshold.

I have been kicking around the idea of upgrading my cpu cooling. On the air side either the D14 or maybe the Phantek. Then I say well if you're spending $75 on a cooler you're 2/3 of the way to a H100 or H220 or a Kraken but I keep reading about so many pump failures on all the models I'm looking at.

I kept my i7 920 for 4 years when I finally said upgrade time. To my wallet's joy this Xeon has extended my system by at least 2 more years maybe 3. So while want the biggest stable long term OC I don't wanna fry the cpu either.

I just got the Corsair Air 540 yesterday and moved everything in. Its a beauty of a case and even my lack of skills have me looking nice and tidy. I've got all the fans on lower rpm's since I'm showing it off this weekend but in a few days I'll try them back up to full song and then move the case down to the floor and put it right over one of my AC vents. The Air 540 has moderately big holes in the bottom and this should bring my ambient case temp down nicely.

I've seen someone running an x5660 at over 1.5v for a 5.2ghz overclock.

Intel lists the voltage range as 0.85 to 1.35v but I haven't seen anything to indicate what voltages would be unsafe.

I would guess running at 1.5v would shorten the life of the cpu but by how much is the question. Its kind of fun to push the limits of this once extremely expensive cpu that can be had for under $110 now. I would think at that speed it would be similar to a 3930k at stock but good luck keeping it cool.

I've seen someone running an x5660 at over 1.5v for a 5.2ghz overclock.

Intel lists the voltage range as 0.85 to 1.35v but I haven't seen anything to indicate what voltages would be unsafe.

Yeah. I've actually been toying with the idea of getting a second 5650 seeing which OC's better and running that one and then just keeping one for a backup or re-selling it.

I would guess running at 1.5v would shorten the life of the cpu but by how much is the question. Its kind of fun to push the limits of this once extremely expensive cpu that can be had for under $110 now. I would think at that speed it would be similar to a 3930k at stock but good luck keeping it cool.

Agreed. With my i7 I could run 4.2Ghz on 1.43v but that was my personal ceiling and I often dropped it down to 4Ghz at just over 1.31v. With this baby 4.4Ghz at 1.375v is my own self imposed ceiling...at least for now. I have not actually tried running it higher or with more voltage. I can get into windows on 1.35v but anything cpu intensive will fail. I'm pretty sure I could do windows on 1.4v at 4.5Ghz for a meaningless cpuz shot. Yeah unless I invest in a superior cpu cooler; one that keeps me below 80C on a torture test I won't be going any higher on speed or voltage. Having said that I am looking into better cooling solutions in terms of either a highest end air cooler or a high end AIO water cooler.
Problem I'm finding is conflicting reviews. It seems using the D14 as the reference that most of the $100 pricepoint AIO's can best it by a few ºC but I've seen reviews where the Kraken comes out on top, others where its the Corsair and still others where they're all tied. Apparently most AIO are just variations of the same reference model from Asetek. The one which isn't from them is the Swiftech H220. It usually beats anything pinned against it but there's so many stories of pump failures with it I'm actually thinking that an air cooler might be my best option.

Since I've got the pair of x5670s on the way, I might as well push this x5677 far as I can, might as well see what kind of temps I can push with my wc setup.

Old Today, 01:45 AM
Nate7311 2[H]4U, 13.6 Years

Well, I fried my L5639 the other night... 20 years in the industry and that's the 1st CPU I've seen die! Windows 8 just bluescreened on me and the box wouldn't post anymore. Swapped everything but the CPU in testing. finally decided to try that, and using the old 920 I got from someone in this thread she popped up. But, of course that was after I bought a 2600k + board from the F/S forum. I did get 10 months of almost double the stock vCore and at 4Ghz on it though!

we don't know what voltage he was using yet....details to follow...but its the first hocper to fail afaik:(

Did some more prodding with the overclock last night. All day yesterday I was thinking I wasn't going to get 4GHz out of my X5650. Then I reset myself and gave +200mv to QPI PLL and I was off to the races @ 1.3 to 1.35 VCore.

First boot at 4Ghz. 1.3V. Pretty sure i could go lower.
BSSz2Wz.png

Was able to boot with 211BCLK. Once in windows, I've tested up to 215Mhz and it's done OK. Just need to get it to boot up with higher BCLK's. My old I7-920 would never run 2:10 memory ratio at these clocks. Here's the xeon doing DDR-2100 CL9. Passed a few runs of y-cruncher 32M and didn't fail out of P95. Going to 1.25Vcore started producing errors in y cruncher, but never locked windows.

The funniest thing? My setup. We just moved to a newly-used house (hence the mold and other shit that needs cleaned up), and my "bench" is pretty much a disaster area. My water cooling gear is still to be unpacked. So I'm doing this with a dell HSF from a Dell Precision 490 and an Ultra Kaze 3000RPM. I can hardly wait to see what this thing will do under a water block. Too bad X5670's and 80's are still so expensive. I'd love to have a 24+ multiplier to try out.

Did some more prodding with the overclock last night. All day yesterday I was thinking I wasn't going to get 4GHz out of my X5650. Then I reset myself and gave +200mv to QPI PLL and I was off to the races @ 1.3 to 1.35 VCore.

First boot at 4Ghz. 1.3V. Pretty sure i could go lower.

Was able to boot with 211BCLK. Once in windows, I've tested up to 215Mhz and it's done OK. Just need to get it to boot up with higher BCLK's. My old I7-920 would never run 2:10 memory ratio at these clocks. Here's the xeon doing DDR-2100 CL9. Passed a few runs of y-cruncher 32M and didn't fail out of P95. Going to 1.25Vcore started producing errors in y cruncher, but never locked windows.

The funniest thing? My setup. We just moved to a newly-used house (hence the mold and other shit that needs cleaned up), and my "bench" is pretty much a disaster area. My water cooling gear is still to be unpacked. So I'm doing this with a dell HSF from a Dell Precision 490 and an Ultra Kaze 3000RPM. I can hardly wait to see what this thing will do under a water block. Too bad X5670's and 80's are still so expensive. I'd love to have a 24+ multiplier to try out.
Honestly if you get stability with a 210-215 BLCK you won't need more than the 22x multi of the 5650. Most guys, even on water aren't getting more than 4.6Ghz. If anything there seems to be a belief that the 5660 and 5670 OC better and or need less voltage for higher OC's. But to be frank I'm not really seeing it on the forums both here and at OC.net

Honestly if you get stability with a 210-215 BLCK you won't need more than the 22x multi of the 5650. Most guys, even on water aren't getting more than 4.6Ghz. If anything there seems to be a belief that the 5660 and 5670 OC better and or need less voltage for higher OC's. But to be frank I'm not really seeing it on the forums both here and at OC.net

Well, I'm considering how I want to build my own home server. So I'm looking to build a separate, more pedestrian, 1366 xeon system for that as one option. At the very least, I'll probably pick up a 5670 to do more overclocking and put the 5650 in the server. But I'd really like to go x5680 or x5675 for the multi. But they're still $300+. Hard to justify that jump in price for a few hundred more MHz.

My thought is, the farther away I can stay from max BCLK, the better for 24/7 use. I'd really rather be under 200MHz, just for piece of mind. My I7-920 ran it's whole life at max BCLK. And towards the end, I ran into a number of issue with data corruption and crashing. I've never been able to single out what the root of the issue was. For right now, I'm just assuming it was the CPU. I overheated it a number of times doing dumb shit, and I never ran it very cool under any condition. I'm hesitant to be that reckless with another system/CPU.

At the very least, I'll probably pick up a 5670 to do more overclocking and put the 5650 in the server.

I have a 5670......and in my opinion they end up the same place at 4200mhz (easily)....figured i would throw that out there in case money is tight

Well, I'm considering how I want to build my own home server. So I'm looking to build a separate, more pedestrian, 1366 xeon system for that as one option. At the very least, I'll probably pick up a 5670 to do more overclocking and put the 5650 in the server. But I'd really like to go x5680 or x5675 for the multi. But they're still $300+. Hard to justify that jump in price for a few hundred more MHz.

My thought is, the farther away I can stay from max BCLK, the better for 24/7 use. I'd really rather be under 200MHz, just for piece of mind. My I7-920 ran it's whole life at max BCLK. And towards the end, I ran into a number of issue with data corruption and crashing. I've never been able to single out what the root of the issue was. For right now, I'm just assuming it was the CPU. I overheated it a number of times doing dumb shit, and I never ran it very cool under any condition. I'm hesitant to be that reckless with another system/CPU.

I have a 5670......and in my opinion they end up the same place at 4200mhz (easily)....figured i would throw that out there in case money is tight

Yeah that's kinda my point for R&R. 5650 or 5670 they all seem to settle in the 4.2-4.4Ghz neighborhood.
R&R like you I'm a bit leary taking my BCLK too high. I only have ddr3 1333 so for me to run it at 1600 is already stretching it. I suppose I could use the 6x multi instead of 8x and or relax the timings. 210BCLK is about all my ram/mobo is good for. So me running my 5650 at 200x22 is very do-able. I'm even tempted to try for a 205x22 just to see if it can be donw. Rest assured 200x22 is my settling point though unless I dramatically improve my cpu cooling situation.
Anyway, as prime said if a 5650 will net you about the same OC as the 5670 or higher perhaps but the $$ saved into other parts of your desired server.

I see that I was mentioned :). Regarding my failure, I did have a few random BSOD reboots during gaming. Honestly, as fast as it rebooted, I never checked into it and always assumed my video card, guess I know different now. The 2600k (stock speed for now) Asus P8P67Pro that I replaced it with from the F/S forum feels just as snappy but is definitely smoother. The old proc would ocassionally have random pauses for a sec or 2 and then fly though all the stacked up commands. I was able to transfer the windows install right over and boot right up, so I don't believe that the pauses were anything but O/C related.

My final setup was as follows:
Asus P6T (runs fine with i7-920)
Xeon L5639
Mult: auto
BCLK: 200
Speedstep On
All CStates on
Ended up @ 3.6Ghz base clock and 4Ghz Turbo.

CPU voltage: 1.37
PLL voltage: 2.15
QPI voltage: 1.4
I was using a CM Hyper212 and my idle temps were 98F and in-game stressed were high 145F-149F. Being a network consultant, My main usage was typical office program stuff with frequent gaming. Having it to do over again, I think I'd have backed it down to 190 BCLK and tune to voltage down as well. After being out of the overclocking arena for close to 10 years, (yes, I remember running my Celly 300@450) this has been a blast to tinker with again. I may have to pick up another to play with.

Well boys I did a little messing around with my Xeon and 4.4 is in no way shape or form, the ceiling.

If you recall I just last week got a new case the Corsair Air 540. The bottom of this case has two medium sized holes for lack of a better term. So I thought why not take advantage of these. So I moved my case on top of the floor vent for my AC. During the summer my central air is on 24/7 and blowing to keep my house at 70ºF. This moved dropped my temps a few degrees on idle at my 4.4Ghz settings so I said let's see what happens.
As aforementioned I run 1.375v for 4.4Ghz. I upped the voltage .025v at a time and the overall CPU Mhz about a hundred at a time.
4.5Ghz on 1.4v
4.6Ghz on 1.425v
4.7GHz on 1.45v and this is where I stopped. Temps mind you were idling in the 35-45ºC zone, load temps would breech 70º on most cores with anything intensive like FryBench or Cinebench. I was doing a 32M Pi run when I BSOD for a 0x124 which is needed more vcore. I just wasn't willing to risk it at this time. I'm not pretending I was stable at 4.7Ghz at all because I wasn't. I also didn't want to pump more voltage thru just because I had relatively cool temps.
Still this has almost conceived me that with a better heastink and leaving my case atop my AC floor vent I definitely can stretch beyond 4.4Ghz for 24/7 running. I was at 214x22 for the 4.7Ghz and for the first time I was wishing I had a 23x multi.
It must be the better memory controller on the Xeon compared with my i7 because my i7 struggled past 210 on the BCLK.
With all the pump failures I read about with every one of the three AIO's I'd consider I think in the end I might just get the Noctua D14 and be done with it. The point remains the same though. OC is always proportional to cooling. I mean if we all had LN2 set ups, at least temporarily I'm sure these Xeon's would sail past 5Ghz en route to 6Ghz, BLCK issues aside.
Perhaps I just have a very special 5650 but I truly think and prime and Deimos have both mentioned temporarily running at 4.6Ghz I believe that the entire Xeon line here is capable of the upper 4Ghz zone as long as the voltage and cooling is there.
Now again, 24/7 I'm already back down at 4.4Ghz on my 1.375v. Sitting on that vent I have 2 cores idling below 30ºC and only my one hot was is above 34ºC. Max temps is low 70'sºC for the hot core and everything else stays in the mid to high 60's.
The temptation to get a 5660 or 5670 exists in me now more than ever. But again I might get a 5660 with the extra multi and it just might not OC as well. For now I'm back at my personal safety zone of 4.4Ghz @1.375v. Based on my testing I'm thinking with a better cpu cooler where its a Noctua or H100i, Kraken or Swiftech 220x I completely believe I could daily drive this cpu I have at 4.6Ghz 24/7. The voltage is concerning as I will forever be mindful of prime's warning. See what happens in the coming days.

I am happy with my L5640 at 3.8 but I really wonder what I could do with an 22 or 23 muli with my cooling. I am seeing 26C idle and mid 60s under load with my fans at 5v.

I really need to start from scratch and get some you experts to help me find my blck limit of my board so I can see how far this thing would go. My vcore is currently at 1.3 under load.

Well boys I did a little messing around with my Xeon and 4.4 is in no way shape or form, the ceiling.

If you recall I just last week got a new case the Corsair Air 540. The bottom of this case has two medium sized holes for lack of a better term. So I thought why not take advantage of these. So I moved my case on top of the floor vent for my AC. During the summer my central air is on 24/7 and blowing to keep my house at 70ºF. This moved dropped my temps a few degrees on idle at my 4.4Ghz settings so I said let's see what happens.
As aforementioned I run 1.375v for 4.4Ghz. I upped the voltage .025v at a time and the overall CPU Mhz about a hundred at a time.
4.5Ghz on 1.4v
4.6Ghz on 1.425v
4.7GHz on 1.45v and this is where I stopped. Temps mind you were idling in the 35-45ºC zone, load temps would breech 70º on most cores with anything intensive like FryBench or Cinebench. I was doing a 32M Pi run when I BSOD for a 0x124 which is needed more vcore. I just wasn't willing to risk it at this time. I'm not pretending I was stable at 4.7Ghz at all because I wasn't. I also didn't want to pump more voltage thru just because I had relatively cool temps.
Still this has almost conceived me that with a better heastink and leaving my case atop my AC floor vent I definitely can stretch beyond 4.4Ghz for 24/7 running. I was at 214x22 for the 4.7Ghz and for the first time I was wishing I had a 23x multi.
It must be the better memory controller on the Xeon compared with my i7 because my i7 struggled past 210 on the BCLK.
With all the pump failures I read about with every one of the three AIO's I'd consider I think in the end I might just get the Noctua D14 and be done with it. The point remains the same though. OC is always proportional to cooling. I mean if we all had LN2 set ups, at least temporarily I'm sure these Xeon's would sail past 5Ghz en route to 6Ghz, BLCK issues aside.
Perhaps I just have a very special 5650 but I truly think and prime and Deimos have both mentioned temporarily running at 4.6Ghz I believe that the entire Xeon line here is capable of the upper 4Ghz zone as long as the voltage and cooling is there.
Now again, 24/7 I'm already back down at 4.4Ghz on my 1.375v. Sitting on that vent I have 2 cores idling below 30ºC and only my one hot was is above 34ºC. Max temps is low 70'sºC for the hot core and everything else stays in the mid to high 60's.
The temptation to get a 5660 or 5670 exists in me now more than ever. But again I might get a 5660 with the extra multi and it just might not OC as well. For now I'm back at my personal safety zone of 4.4Ghz @1.375v. Based on my testing I'm thinking with a better cpu cooler where its a Noctua or H100i, Kraken or Swiftech 220x I completely believe I could daily drive this cpu I have at 4.6Ghz 24/7. The voltage is concerning as I will forever be mindful of prime's warning. See what happens in the coming days.

give us some pics of that super air cooled setup....and for those reading if your getting bsods or crashes.....it be a smart choice to back down the voltage and the overclock or end up like Nate7311 with a blown cpu:(

Last edited:
Im considering moving my 2500K build to my HTPC, and going with a X5650/X58. Couple of concerns though, jumped through about 5 pages here and a handful at ocn without finding anything.

How big is the drop in SATA3 and USB3 performance? Dont want to take a huge hit on my M500s, and I use a portable SSD to transfer files over USB3. Are there any cheap PCIe cards for SATA3 and USB3 that are better then the third party ones on X58?

I saw some game benches that werent comparing to anything. Anyone run game benches against any modern 1155/1150 i5s/i7s?

Im considering moving my 2500K build to my HTPC, and going with a X5650/X58. Couple of concerns though, jumped through about 5 pages here and a handful at ocn without finding anything.

How big is the drop in SATA3 and USB3 performance? Dont want to take a huge hit on my M500s, and I use a portable SSD to transfer files over USB3. Are there any cheap PCIe cards for SATA3 and USB3 that are better then the third party ones on X58?

EDIT:Misread

Remember kids, if you care about your cpu, do not exceed the following voltages:
vCore: 1.45v
QPI/vTT/UCLK: 1.35v
PLL: 1.9v
vDDR: 1.65v

Remember kids, if you care about your cpu, do not exceed the following voltages:
vCore: 1.45v
QPI/vTT/UCLK: 1.35v
PLL: 1.9v
vDDR: 1.65v

I thought that 1.45v max for 24/7 applied to the old 45nm CPU's. I would have assumed our max for 32 and 22nm is substantially lower. I understand temperature is a big player. But even under ideal conditions, I have to question 1.45v on these chips.

I saw some game benches that werent comparing to anything. Anyone run game benches against any modern 1155/1150 i5s/i7s?

The USB 3.0 gives pretty standard performance, most of the add in cards are PCIe 1x anyway so you shouldn't see any tangible difference.

The Marvel SATA3 controller is also using 1x PCIe lane, so running RAID is pointless because the max transfer speed is 500MB/s, in reality it's closer to 400MB/s. in small file sizes it is actually faster than my LSI 9211 running raid, the LSI card bests it in single disk performance though. (I have updated my page one post to include pics here).

I'll post some benchmarks of my RAID 0 configuration soon.

Back