1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Just rebooted and was checking out my multis. I have 22 but the next one down is 20. I guess I missed this somewhere along the way reading the thread. Is this how it is for everyone? You have your top one but then not the very next one down? So 5660 is 23 then 21 and 5670 is 24 then 22?
Doesn't really matter with my ram and this mobo 22 is probably the perfect multi for me anyway best combo of cpu speed and ram speed. Since my ddr3 1333 doesn't play well much over 15xx if I have a 23 or 24x multi it wouldn't make much difference really since my ram would be running even lower.

166BCLK for 3.65Ghz vcore at 1.5625v. I'm just upping the vcore to what I guess is enough I can always dial back later. Guess I'll try for 4Ghz now. Hope I can do it with 1.2v though it seems like 1.225v might be more common.

I'm like a kid on Christmas with this xeon. I did actually boot windows on 1.2vcore in the BIOS. CPUZ reported that voltage as 1.18v. That wasn't stable once I ran some tests though. Kicked it up two clicks to 1.2125v in BIOS which CPUZ reports as an even 1.2v.
Compare this with my i7 920 which was a D0. I needed 1.3v for minimal windows and 1.3375 in BIOS for rock solid stabilty. Going to give Frybench and Cinebench a go here in a minute. Even if I need another two clicks of voltage I'm easily running the same clockspeed as my i7 with two extra cores and on more than .1v less vcore.

Nothing is promised of course as I know primetime and many others seem to hit a wall around 4.3 even with 5660's on air. But it certainly seems I should be good for quite a bit more

I'm at 4.2GHz now but I can tell this is where the steep part of the climb is. Booted at 1.25v, not stable, 1.2625v more stable but Cinebench crashed, now at 1.275v seems better. To run 4.2 on my 920 I was pumping 1.4375v no joke. That's the main reason I left her at 4Ghz I saved a tenth of a volt vcore.
4 coolest core temps mid 30ºC, the two hot ones are low 40ºC. That's at least 10ºC cooler than my 920 at the same speed.
I think I'll settle on this 4.2 for now. I wanted some feedback on what the max volts people are pushing. I want to say the ceiling is lower on the xeon than 1st gen i7. i7 was fine 1.35v even 1.4v+. Seems people are staying closer to 1.3v for the xeon. At the rate this thing is going I'm looking at needing at least 1.3v for 4.3 and probably then around 1.35v for 4.4 if that's even possible.
Like I said I don't think I'll reach for more just yet, want to hear back from the more experience xeon OCers

970 sound right for the xeon 191x22 4.2Ghz in Cinebench R15?

Can't believe this was $70.

Although my temps are pretty decent and cooler than i7 was I'm kinda torn about maybe spending the same $70 I spent on the cpu and getting the D14 which is on sale at newegg for that price. I suppose I'll see just how much voltage I need for a max OC and thus how much heat I'm getting if I do in fact try for 4.4

running 1.35 core voltage, cpu pll voltage 2.1, qpi/dram 1.4, dram buss 1.66 volts, load line calibration auto (on), cpu differential amplitude 800mv, all power savings settings on, speed step on, core parking on, north bridge frq 3200mhz......idles around 30 degrees peaks around 70 degrees. 100% stable, sleep fully functional, running 200blck and memory at 1600mhz all slots used and set at 1t default timings of 7 9 9 24 88 1t...it runs at 2400mhz until the cpu is needed and then runs at 4200mhz....i can bench at 4400 or even higher but 4200 is rock solid and stays cool so thats where im staying...likewise a 5660 should have the exact same results as a 5670 in my opinion since im not even using my highest multi

970 sound right for the xeon 191x22 4.2Ghz in Cinebench R15?
yea thats about right...you can sorta cheat cine bench buy running it at high priority...mine fluctuates between 960 and 1005

Last edited:
running 1.35 core voltage, cpu pll voltage 2.1, qpi/dram 1.4, dram buss 1.66 volts, load line calibration auto (on), cpu differential amplitude 800mv, all power savings settings on, speed step on, core parking on, north bridge frq 3200mhz......idles around 30 degrees peaks around 70 degrees. 100% stable, sleep fully functional, running 200blck and memory at 1600mhz all slots used and set at 1t default timings of 7 9 9 24 88 1t...it runs at 2400mhz until the cpu is needed and then runs at 4200mhz....i can bench at 4400 or even higher but 4200 is rock solid and stays cool so thats where im staying...likewise a 5660 should have the exact same results as a 5670 in my opinion since im not even using my highest multi

yea thats about right...you can sorta cheat cine bench buy running it at high priority...mine fluctuates between 960 and 1005

Thanks prime
2.1 PLL yikes that's high mine is still 1.8
Lemme ask you this. Here's my temps via HWMonitor. First column is live, middle is min and right side is max which occurred during Fry Bench or CineBench
Xeon%2520Temps.png

Is the swing range from my coldest to hottest what others are seeing. With my i7 920 I had a coldest to hottest difference of usually 5-6ºC this is now 9ºC from colest to hottest core. Remounting the HSF didn't change the range difference either. On the one hand it seems my temps are right where yours are so I'm fine. Heck I'm not even using SpeedStep at the moment since I was always told to dial in the OC first then turn that on once you're settled.
If you're pumping 1.35v and I'm pumping 1.28v then my HSF isn't nearly as good as yours if our temps are almost identical. Which I'm not surprised by. I mean mine is literally a $20 heatsink. I guess it is good enough for what I'm doing at 4.2. Unless a better mounting heatisnk would give me temps much even and all closer to my coolest cores.
I have to believe if I get these temps with this thing a D14 would have me 5ºC less and perhaps more even temps from hottest to coldest core. Then again if it doesn't net me a higher OC what's the point?

BTW 3:36 FryBench par for the course?

To me as long as you temps don't go above 80 your just fine in that area but you need to use something like intel burn test at max settings for at least 5 passes to test for highest temps...occt, prime95 should all be tested at some point as well as hyper pi........but intel burn test is my first go to test for general temps and stability if set at max settings.
Its summer for a lot of us here and as long as you keep your temps below 80 i cant see temps being a factor...above 80 and i think its starts loosing stability and life span...my voltages are a bit on the high side for some people, but its cool, stable and if i run into problems i know what to look at first, i surely wont be raising them to offset stability, ill just lower my overclock and voltage if needed. If it showed any kind of stability issues or weird problems then i might be worried

BTW 3:36 FryBench par for the course?
yea thats a good score....mine is always around 10 seconds of that

and regarding my low temps...my case is a bit open air and kept clean....it gets blown out with a shop vac once a month at least and as shown in this pic sometimes i have extra cooling going on...but usually the fans is pointing at me;)
IMG_20140605_034722_5181_zps0b2ca4ef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Just picked up a 5650 as well for $74. Is there much difference between AT80614004320AD and BX80614X5650?

Hopefully it will overclock reasonably even with my Gigabyte UD3R - as I will be pulling out the 6x4GB generic Adata ram I have in there currently, does anyone have any recommendations for 8GB sticks?

Just picked up a 5650 as well for $74. Is there much difference between AT80614004320AD and BX80614X5650?

Hopefully it will overclock reasonably even with my Gigabyte UD3R - as I will be pulling out the 6x4GB generic Adata ram I have in there currently, does anyone have any recommendations for 8GB sticks?

Well both those codes are for 5650 xeons. My guess is maybe one is oem and one is retail:confused:

Deimos said he was using ripjaws 8gb sticks in his. There isn't really a right and best ram out there. Guys like what they like really. I'm a G.Skill guy myself but I've used most major brands in my near 20 years as a PC enthusiast. Right now if you are buying new 8gb sticks however it does seem G.Skill offers some of the best value and performance.

Also for the group since primetime didn't directly answer this does everyone else have the degree of temperature range on their six cores?

As noted in my pic above I'm fully 9ºC different from my coldest core to the hottest one and that's consistent on load or idle. If this is common I'll move right along but if not I can again try re-seating my heatsink and re applying my TIM. As noted above on my i7 I saw generally a 5-6ºC variance. I see others with much less. My thought is perhaps my HSF just does have 100% pure perfect contact. It might not be manifesting as a problem yet. But if I push this OC to its limit it could be.

Also for the group since primetime didn't directly answer this does everyone else have the degree of temperature range on their six cores?

As noted in my pic above I'm fully 9ºC different from my coldest core to the hottest one and that's consistent on load or idle. If this is common I'll move right along but if not I can again try re-seating my heatsink and re applying my TIM. As noted above on my i7 I saw generally a 5-6ºC variance. I see others with much less. My thought is perhaps my HSF just does have 100% pure perfect contact. It might not be manifesting as a problem yet. But if I push this OC to its limit it could be.
Sorry must have missed that point earlier...but i can only speak for myself but yea i get up to around the same temp variance between cores...funny thing is it just never struck me as odd....just seems to jump around from one core to the next......sometimes its the 6th core ......other times its a different one the hottest.....im mainly focused on which ever one is the hottest usually
Capture_zps31264148.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks prime
Yeah for me its very consistent single core is hottest. It makes me think possibly there is a direct connect issue with my heatsink.

BTW I'm running 200x22 right now. Just made the leap from 4.2 all the way here. Went right to BIOS vcore of 1.35v which cpuz shows as 1.336v. So small chance I might be able to roll this back a tick or two [doubt it] I did roll the ram back to just 6x so I'm underclocked on ram atm 1200Mhz instead of 1600. Wanted to eliminate that as a stability factor as going over 200BCLK with the 8x ram multi often gives my ddr3 1333 issues. That and I think my mobo in general has a ceiling of only 205-210 sadly. I guess I have a decent chip afterall. Not sure I'll permanently stay at 4.4Ghz though. No question 4.2 I can do standing on my head. At 4.4 temps on my hottest core exceed 80ºC even if the coldest 4 stay in the mid 70s on max load. Its here where I'd consider something like the Noctua if I made a decision that I have enough stability to try for 4.4 as my permanent. My HSF is good enough for me for 4.2. While I'm running 4.4 now 80ºC even if its just one core is something I'd like to tone down.

There's a big part of me that wants to see what lies beyond this point. 205x22 is almost surely my mobo's max if not the cpu's. Won't even pretend 210x22 is even remotely possible, certainly not with my present HSF. Though it certainly seems the OC gods were smiling down at me. Not sure it even matters but mine came from Carrollton Texas not Esiso in CA which is where I think most people have been getting their Xeon's. Not sure this means anything or not. Dell I know has a huge recycling center in Carrollton so I have to assume all the Xeon's from the Carrollton seller are coming right from Dell servers.

Again massive thanks to primetime and everyone else who inspired this cpu upgrade for me. It was a good day no doubt about it.:cool:

Ran the IBT saw 90-91 on multiple cores and yikes:eek:.
I mean here's the thing. Its stable for me at 4.4 for all the real life stuff I actually do. In my real life applications and programs there is nothing I do which puts it above the low 70's. Sometimes I think these torture tests are a bit excessive. I'm not a professional IBT runner. Even the stuff like 3DMark or FryBench its stable enough for those thats pretty much good for me. In games like Crysis 3 or Far Cry 3 I'm not seeing cores going over the low 70's there too at any point. The 90+ on IBT was shocking I'll admit that. I was running to newegg to get that D14 till I asked myself why. Everything I actually do puts me at a respectable ceiling under 80C and I'm stable.
No way I'm going above 4.4 though on my HSF. I might not use or even need IBT but if it hits 90 at 4.4 God only knows what 4.5 and whatever voltage I'd need for it would bring. Nah 4.4 was the max I was hoping for with this $70 investment and its been achieved. In fact like primetime I would not put it past me to dial back to 4.2 just so I can use the ram at 8x. Then again 4.4Ghz with 1200ddr3 is probably still better than 4.2Ghz with 1530ddr3.
Part of my appeal for the xeon is it was $70 and I'm done spending money. Sure $70 on the Noctua. A Couple hundred on genuine ddr3 1600 or higher would make this system better. But my intent was never to dump tons of cash on this aging rig. Xeon at 4.2-4.4 with my 7970 [which only cost me $120] is just fine. Sure I'm considering a second 7970 but thats for another day.
Time for sleep now.

This was after running 3 consecutive runs of 10 on Intel Burn test. I am still lowering vcore to see how low I can take it.

This was after running 3 consecutive runs of 10 on Intel Burn test. I am still lowering vcore to see how low I can take it.

rerun it a max stress level and youl get better results and higher gigflops;) (probably around 80 gigaflops)

I guess I do my runs ass backwards then. I usually pick a voltage which often times turns out to be too low and I end up raising it a tick or two at a time till I don't crash in the torture tests.

At 4.4Ghz I initally was rolling at 1.35v but moved up to 1.3625 and now am actually at 1.375v BIOS 1.36v CPUZ thanks to that damn IBT. I mean .01v isn't a lot mind you but if I don't make my system IBT proof I can tone down the voltage two clicks and still run everything I care to run. I suppose I'll just leave the 1.375v in the BIOS as is and just appreciate the extra stability.

It appears now I'm stable enough and can re-engage SpeedStep and shave a bit off them idle temps.

A question for primetime Deimos and whoever else is more knowledgeable than me. During OC testing I disable many of the cpu features like SpeedStep, C1E, etc. Do you guys re-enable everything once you settle on an OC setting? I know for me some of the ones which help BCLK I have left off with my i7 and I'm wondering if merely flipping the switch on SpeedStep alone is good enough. I definitely wanna keep my OC stability. I know with my i7 when I turned everything back on it was much less stable and I didn't ever take the time to test out each and every individual cpu bios feature.

A question for primetime Deimos and whoever else is more knowledgeable than me. During OC testing I disable many of the cpu features like SpeedStep, C1E, etc. Do you guys re-enable everything once you settle on an OC setting? I know for me some of the ones which help BCLK I have left off with my i7 and I'm wondering if merely flipping the switch on SpeedStep alone is good enough. I definitely wanna keep my OC stability. I know with my i7 when I turned everything back on it was much less stable and I didn't ever take the time to test out each and every individual cpu bios feature.

I know others do, but I don't touch any of the extra features, just leave them enabled. I don't really get the logic of turning them off, stable is stable, if it isn't stable with those features on why would I test with them off? For the most part is has little to no effect for my overclocking.

I've dropped down quite a bit now, as long as it is fast enough for gaming, my next priority is temps and noise.

Currently at 170 x 24 (4.08Ghz) with mem at 1700 9 9 9 24 2T, Temps are around 60C running IBT and Prime.

I'm considering water cooling my vid card next as the noise from it is obscene while gaming.

vcore above 1.35 is considered dangerous for these chips from whats been told to me, as well as it being much harder to cool.....for me going above that only made things worse....just something to keep in mind...this smaller 32nm process cant take the voltage the older process could without damage.:) I keep mine at the safe over volt limit lol...i have tested lower voltages on mine but would eventually fail a test at some point...so mine is practically glued to were it is

course with that being said if its only a 70 dollar investment some can afford to replace it....and truthfully i think you would experience instability before it starts to die...but thats just an educated guess and i guess i cant blaime you if trying to pass some benchmarks at 4.6 to 4.8ghz just for the challenge of it

I have to say my results have been close to the same as Deimos, but he has a point and i want mine stable with those features on.

Last edited:
I know others do, but I don't touch any of the extra features, just leave them enabled. I don't really get the logic of turning them off, stable is stable, if it isn't stable with those features on why would I test with them off? For the most part is has little to no effect for my overclocking.

I've dropped down quite a bit now, as long as it is fast enough for gaming, my next priority is temps and noise.

Currently at 170 x 24 (4.08Ghz) with mem at 1700 9 9 9 24 2T, Temps are around 60C running IBT and Prime.

I'm considering water cooling my vid card next as the noise from it is obscene while gaming.
Yeah I definitely turned the ones off which said might help BLCK OC. I know with the i7 some people disabled HT in search of cooler temps and higher OC's but I never did with my i7 and I won't do it now on the Xeon.
vcore above 1.35 is considered dangerous for these chips from whats been told to me, as well as it being much harder to cool.....for me going above that only made things worse....just something to keep in mind...this smaller 32nm process cant take the voltage the older process could without damage.:) I keep mine at the safe over volt limit lol...i have tested lower voltages on mine but would eventually fail a test at some point...so mine is practically glued to were it is

course with that being said if its only a 70 dollar investment some can afford to replace it....and truthfully i think you would experience instability before it starts to die...but thats just an educated guess and i guess i cant blaime you if trying to pass some benchmarks at 4.6 to 4.8ghz just for the challenge of it

I have to say my results have been close to the same as Deimos, but he has a point and i want mine stable with those features on.
Yeah you both got me thinking here. I mean I've been golden at 4.4Ghz. Yes its 1.375 BIOS and 1.36 CPUZ but I'm pretty sure I'd see the instability preceding a cpu death. Having said that I was rock solid at 4.2Ghz on nearly a full tenth of a voltage less and temps were cooler at load by 8-10, idle was maybe 2-4 different. Now I'm again considering the Noctua or Phantek HSF. That would likely give me the 4.2 temps at 4.4 with my current budget cooler.
bn2nrd.png

looks like what he was trying to do:)
Thanks

Just a comment about CPU death, I killled an E6600 back in the day, I'm not sure what did it but it was sudden, it seemed like an unstable overclock at first as the chip would still load in to windows. When I loaded up photoshop to work on photos the pictures would have green squares all over them. No amount of tweaking fixed it.

Just a comment about CPU death, I killled an E6600 back in the day, I'm not sure what did it but it was sudden, it seemed like an unstable overclock at first as the chip would still load in to windows. When I loaded up photoshop to work on photos the pictures would have green squares all over them. No amount of tweaking fixed it.

Deimos I see your sig says you're also at 4.4 but I thought I remember reading you actually dropped down to a lower speed on less voltage. Or am I mis-remembering? Quick scan of the past couple pages and I couldn't find it.
Even though I only got the 5650 it seems I'm getting the same OC results as 5660 and 5670 guys are getting. I know primetime was up at 4.4 and then backed down a tad. So it seems it doesn't really matter which of the three models one has the OC is pretty much the same. Only tangible difference is the extra multiplier or two. I must admit I firmly believe I can get a tad more out of my 5650 than just 4.4 I would definitely be at my mobo's limit though to kick the BLCK another 5 and certainly 10. If I had access to a 23 multi it seems might have a good shot at 4.5 or even 4.6 I'd also think I'd need to upgrade my cpu cooling solution for a stable 4.5 or 4.6.

I've got a Corsair Air 540 case coming later this week. Once I move into that I'll re-evaluate my temps and then make a decision on whether or not to upgrade my cpu cooling and thus will see if I drop down to 4.2 just to be frosty. Keep this 4.4 as it is stable and not excessively warm. Or push the envelope.

For anyone, if I wanna get the best 1366 cooler out there are we still talking Noctua D14 for air or perhaps the Phantek. I suppose I might consider a AIO like the H100. Guy I work with has that. He's got a 4770k but he only got to 4.2 on that before I started getting issues. We were both expecting him to hit 4.5 with ease on the cooler and cpu combo but no. Its going to be odd to spend more on the cpu cooler than the cpu :p

Then again I might just try picking up a higher cfm fan and seeing what that does; granted it'd be louder but it would also be way cheaper to pick up a 100cfm fan on slap that baby on here. I guess I'll see how the Air 540 treats my temps and go from there.

if i were going to replace my cpu cooler today....id be leaning on the best AIO package that i could fit in my case.....results should be close to the same and you should have more room in your case compared to a d14 with 2 fans....sorta depends on what case your using as well

Interesting results. I disabled HT just to play around and I got a big jump in GFlops and temps are down about 10C under load. I am still seeing how low I can get my vcore and other voltages.

if i were going to replace my cpu cooler today....id be leaning on the best AIO package that i could fit in my case.....results should be close to the same and you should have more room in your case compared to a d14 with 2 fans....sorta depends on what case your using as well

I have a Corsair Air 540 arriving Thursday. It can accomodate any of the H series AIO from Corsair. Not that those are the best but the 100-110 seem to review well along with the CoolerMaster and Antec. Having that said something like a D14 would work well in this case with unobstructed 140's blowing across the mobo.
First things first I'll move things into the Air 540 and see what that does for temps. If I don't like the margin of improvement then yeah I'll look at upgrading the cooling solution.

Also and this is merely a back burner thought. But suppose I wanted to ditch my 6x2GB ram for a 3x8GB set up or something like that. I've got ddr3 1333 which runs fair enough at 1600, cas timings are 9-9-9-24. So ddr3 1600 seems like a waste. Would I truly notice the difference if I got something like 2133 ram? Something I could run with a 10x multiplier instead of the 8x I'm using now. If its minimal I might just scrap the idea

Also and this is merely a back burner thought. But suppose I wanted to ditch my 6x2GB ram for a 3x8GB set up or something like that. I've got ddr3 1333 which runs fair enough at 1600, cas timings are 9-9-9-24. So ddr3 1600 seems like a waste. Would I truly notice the difference if I got something like 2133 ram? Something I could run with a 10x multiplier instead of the 8x I'm using now. If its minimal I might just scrap the idea

You'll be overclocking the memory controller so you'll have to factor in the extra voltage and heat. This may also mean a lower OC on the core. Even increasing the ram to just 1750Mhz there was a noticeable bump in temps of around 15C for me. Also the memory controller may not even be able to handle that clock speed, its pretty much a gamble just like overclocking the core.

Even on my 4770k I dropped my 2400 memory down to 1600 because the extra heat was significant and I wanted to keep that PC as quiet as possible. At those speeds the CPU was hitting 90C under prime with a fairly decent cooler, that dropped 20C by dropping the memory speed and I didn't touch voltage at all and the CPU is running at stock clock.

However you may still want to get faster memory as it will allow for tighter timings at a lower clock, the only problem is that there won't be an XMP profile for the lower clock speed so you basically have to test until you find the timings that work (no thanks).

You'll be overclocking the memory controller so you'll have to factor in the extra voltage and heat. This may also mean a lower OC on the core. Even increasing the ram to just 1750Mhz there was a noticeable bump in temps of around 15C for me. Also the memory controller may not even be able to handle that clock speed, its pretty much a gamble just like overclocking the core.

Even on my 4770k I dropped my 2400 memory down to 1600 because the extra heat was significant and I wanted to keep that PC as quiet as possible. At those speeds the CPU was hitting 90C under prime with a fairly decent cooler, that dropped 20C by dropping the memory speed and I didn't touch voltage at all and the CPU is running at stock clock.

However you may still want to get faster memory as it will allow for tighter timings at a lower clock, the only problem is that there won't be an XMP profile for the lower clock speed so you basically have to test until you find the timings that work (no thanks).
Good info Deimos thanks.
Yeah so I won't be rushing to upgrade the ram.
Sounds like I'll move into the case and evaluate the need or lack of need for improved cpu cooling or not.
If I seem OK enough its in search of my second 7970 or an 280x

Rampage III Extreme arrived today, much faster than I expected.

I probably won't get around to installing it till later next week.

I may have a crack this afternoon.

I have found a thread with a custom BIOS for the R3E that was updated less than a month ago.

The custom BIOS is based of an unreleased 1601 and has been injected with updated OROMs for the various add ons (LAN RAID eSATA)

R3E ZioMod BIOS

Whoa, there is a lot more on there too, found modded P6X58D-E and Premium BIOSes, some of you might be keen to check it out. the mods allow you to run newer drivers on the RAID controllers.

http://www.bios-mods.com/

I just searched and got results.

P6X58D Premium

P6X58D-E

P6T Deluxe

Some of these threads were started a few years ago but some are still active, YMMV.

Primetime, can you edit your OP to include some of the stuff that has been posted here? e.g. my pics and instructions for delid (link the post) links to the Bios-Mod forum etc? or we could start a new 1366 tips and tricks (2014) thread

Yeah I definitely turned the ones off which said might help BLCK OC. I know with the i7 some people disabled HT in search of cooler temps and higher OC's but I never did with my i7 and I won't do it now on the Xeon.

Yeah you both got me thinking here. I mean I've been golden at 4.4Ghz. Yes its 1.375 BIOS and 1.36 CPUZ but I'm pretty sure I'd see the instability preceding a cpu death. Having said that I was rock solid at 4.2Ghz on nearly a full tenth of a voltage less and temps were cooler at load by 8-10, idle was maybe 2-4 different. Now I'm again considering the Noctua or Phantek HSF. That would likely give me the 4.2 temps at 4.4 with my current budget cooler.

Thanks

I'm happy my x5670 is at 4.2. I am currently running it at 1.35V to stay completely stable. I did some stress testing at 1.30V and it crashes after 2 hours. I couldn't get it stay stable at 4.4 but that's fine, what's 200mhz really going to do? Plus going over 1.35V is not a good idea for this chip as I've read they have little tolerance. Would be a waste and difficult to keep cool just for something slightly faster. Good thing at 4.2 is that you could try to maximize your ram and try to keep the cas speed as low as possible, that's a plus. I was able to keep mine at 6-8-6-24 (instead of 20).

P6X58D Premium

P6X58D-E

P6T Deluxe

Some of these threads were started a few years ago but some are still active, YMMV.

Primetime, can you edit your OP to include some of the stuff that has been posted here? e.g. my pics and instructions for delid (link the post) links to the Bios-Mod forum etc? or we could start a new 1366 tips and tricks (2014) thread

sure i can take care of that;) now if you want to look a bit differently and include all the relevant information instead of links.....send me a pm exactly how you want it to look and i can cut and past it in:)

Last edited:

P6X58D Premium

P6X58D-E

P6T Deluxe

While that's a nice find, the bios for my mobo seems older than the one I have and it was merely a marvel controller update and I don't even use the Marvel. Pass for me but maybe others on different mobos find better things

Well I'm stuck, can't get the rampage 3 to post with the 5670 or the i7 930 and I can't figure out why. As a last ditch effort I threw in the 5677 and it worked, updated the bios but it still won't post with the 5670.

Anyone got any ideas?

Well I'm stuck, can't get the rampage 3 to post with the 5670 or the i7 930 and I can't figure out why. As a last ditch effort I threw in the 5677 and it worked, updated the bios but it still won't post with the 5670.

Anyone got any ideas?

So just so I understand. Fresh outta the box. 1st cpu tried was 5670 = no go. 2nd was i7 930 = no go. 3rd was 5677 and it was ok. You then updated to a factory bios? Or one of the modded ones you linked above? 5670 still won't post how about the 930?

If the 5677 would not have worked I might have guessed you had a super old BIOS pre hexa core support but that's not it if the 5677 is golden.

Back