1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Sweet thanks and yes I see it in your sig as well.

Do it man. Only problem is those x58's a pretty pricey since the demand exceeds the supply. Tough to find a RampageIII less than $250

I should point out though, I'm unstable at 200BCLK, it was fine before I added my raid card.

I've dropped back to 170 x 24 (4.08Ghz) but on the plus side, the newer ram can handle the higher clock speed.

Finding a Rampage III for under $250 seems downright impossible, I'm looking at around the $400 mark including shipping. Still, $400 isn't really a whole lot more considering the fact that it is just $400 to obtain the last piece of a whole new X58 build.

I should point out though, I'm unstable at 200BCLK, it was fine before I added my raid card.

I've dropped back to 170 x 24 (4.08Ghz) but on the plus side, the newer ram can handle the higher clock speed.

Finding a Rampage III for under $250 seems downright impossible, I'm looking at around the $400 mark including shipping. Still, $400 isn't really a whole lot more considering the fact that it is just $400 to obtain the last piece of a whole new X58 build.

Fair point. I looked into the Rampage III as well. But as you said finding one sub $300 was few and far between. Especially if that's all you need to purchase since you already have all the other parts.
A guy I work with built himself a rig last year. Its a i7 4770k with SLI 760's, Asus Maximus VI Extreme mobo, 16GB DDR3 2133. I mean it was and still is a pretty high end system. He spent well over $1500 on all his components. And yet he's really not that far ahead of me in anything benchmark wise. When I drop my xeon in and if I added a second 7970 he'd completely be in my rear view for a fraction of what he paid.
Granted it doesn't make much sense to invest in a new to you build centered around x58. But if you have everything else expect maybe one component then by all means justify the purchase.

BTW guys I did order a 5650 finally. Didn't go with esiso though as their shipping window was longer. Got it from the guys in TX with priority shipping should be here Friday or Saturday. These guys didn't take $68 so they countered at $70 which I accepted. Hoping the OC gods smile down on me and that 22x multiple is full go for me on 6 cores. In reality if I can even match my 4Ghz OC I got on this 920 I'll be content enough for $70. Would love a little 200x22 luvin but seeing what others are getting out of their 5650's that might be a stretch.

Got a X5670 due in over the weekend. Hopefully I'll have a bit better luck with that on my P6T6 WS Revo than the 920 in there currently.

Glad to see the 1366 socket still kicking :).

I won an auction on ebay for a Sapphire Dual X HD7950 for $102 and shipping bumped it to $119 .. I already have a Sapphire Dual X R9-280 so I plan to CX them.

I havn't had the time to work on overclocking the X5660 because of work but I think that this setup should last me till we get something better to upgrade to as I still plan to add more ram as I have 6Gb now but plan to buy a 12Gb set soon.

I won an auction on ebay for a Sapphire Dual X HD7950 for $102 and shipping bumped it to $119 .. I already have a Sapphire Dual X R9-280 so I plan to CX them.

I havn't had the time to work on overclocking the X5660 because of work but I think that this setup should last me till we get something better to upgrade to as I still plan to add more ram as I have 6Gb now but plan to buy a 12Gb set soon.

Sounds like we're in the same boat then. Riding the x58 train another year maybe two.
Yeah between the ultra cheap xeon's and the low prices we can grab 79xx video cards for we're getting upper middle range performance for a deep discount.
I grabbed my Sapphire Dual X 7970 for $120 and since it was local pick up there was no shipping.
I'm already at 12GB 6x2GB but its been tough for me dialing in that ram with all 6 banks used. When I pop my 5650 in if I can't use the 22X multi I am likely going to be going high on the BCLK and thus high on my ram sticks and QPI. Overall I'd prefer moving down to 3 8GB sticks but still doubling my ram myself. Deimos did confirm 8GB sticks are A-OK regardless of lack of official motherboard support

Riding the x58 train another year maybe two.

Hell, I can't see any compelling reason not to rock this system for another 5 years.
I saw a leaked roadmap from intel for the socket 2011 based system with a "low end" hex core CPU with a price point of $600 and the octo cores are pushing the $1k mark. Clock speeds are still in the 3.5Ghz range.

NOPE

Hell, I can't see any compelling reason not to rock this system for another 5 years.
I saw a leaked roadmap from intel for the socket 2011 based system with a "low end" hex core CPU with a price point of $600 and the octo cores are pushing the $1k mark. Clock speeds are still in the 3.5Ghz range.

NOPE

FAWK. x58 it is then.

NOPE

Yeah its been plateau'd now for like 4-5 years, looks like that trend continues unless AMD can give a reason up the ante [doubtful]

Admittedly the rampage 3 is king of x58 boards but its not that necessary.....to my knowledge pretty much all asus boards will do 200 blck without to much fuss as well a quite a few other models and venders.....just saying if you can save a couple hundred dollars then i defiantly would...just something to consider and in all honesty this hole idea really benefited those of us already sporting well running x58 boards the most....as much as i love this cpu i would think twice about spending 400 on a mb this many generations back
I started this thread to inform people and help people save money on there cpu upgrades rather than spend money on newer sidegrades that in some cases could even be a down grade. Best of luck to everyone:)

Rampage III is on the way, managed to get a complete one for $300 + shipping.

This motherboard and a quad xeon will make a nice upgrade from the old Core 2 quad based servers I have. I will probably have to buy a bit more ram though, 12GB probably won't be enough to run the host + a VM running exchange and another VM as domain controller.

Admittedly the rampage 3 is king of x58 boards but its not that necessary.....to my knowledge pretty much all asus boards will do 200 blck without to much fuss as well a quite a few other models and venders.....just saying if you can save a couple hundred dollars then i defiantly would...just something to consider and in all honesty this hole idea really benefited those of us already sporting well running x58 boards the most....as much as i love this cpu i would think twice about spending 400 on a mb this many generations back
I started this thread to inform people and help people save money on there cpu upgrades rather than spend money on newer sidegrades that in some cases could even be a down grade. Best of luck to everyone:)

Yeah there are P6X58D-E and Premium's and Sabertooths which can be found for under $200 at auction. Honest truth is a P6X58D Premium went for $61 earlier this month on auction. I know because I was watching it and someone just out sniped me. I knew a $60 max big was too low but oh well.

I can't seem to get my x5670 stable at 22/200. I'm not sure if it's the cpu that can't handle it or if it's the ram that's crapping out. http://valid.canardpc.com/45vtxt

I have gotten it to 22/196 (4.3ghz) but I noticed something peculiar with the bclk. In the bios, it is set to 196, but when looking at cpuz it's showing 195.49 ~ 195.51 rather than 195.99 ish. How can I keep it closer to 196?

I can't seem to get my x5670 stable at 22/200. I'm not sure if it's the cpu that can't handle it or if it's the ram that's crapping out. http://valid.canardpc.com/45vtxt

I have gotten it to 22/196 (4.3ghz) but I noticed something peculiar with the bclk. In the bios, it is set to 196, but when looking at cpuz it's showing 195.49 ~ 195.51 rather than 195.99 ish. How can I keep it closer to 196?

I Think its the upperlimit of the cpu myself...i could never get 200*22 100% stable either so i settled on 21*200 for 4200mhz and called it a day.....possibly in the winter when everything is cold might can do 4400 but im not gonna hold my breath since i think its more than just the heat/

edit: if you suspected your ram just lower the ram speed in the bios....that part is very simple to do

I Think its the upperlimit of the cpu myself...i could never get 200*22 100% stable either so i settled on 21*200 for 4200mhz and called it a day.....possibly in the winter when everything is cold might can do 4400 but im not gonna hold my breath since i think its more than just the heat/

edit: if you suspected your ram just lower the ram speed in the bios....that part is very simple to do

Yeah, dump the RAM down and raise blck and multi.

This is exactly what I did. On the plus side, I'm still able to maintain 6-8-6-20 timing on my ram.

I don't think it's possible for me at all since I'm air cooled.

Last edited:
I know there is a difference between the x5650 and the x5660 in regards to being able to use higher multis for a better OC, is there a difference between the x5660 and x5670 other than stock clockspeed?

I know there is a difference between the x5650 and the x5660 in regards to being able to use higher multis for a better OC, is there a difference between the x5660 and x5670 other than stock clockspeed?
Thats a good question and it would really depend on what kind of prices your finding, but with that being said, I think they both hit the same overclock of 4.2 (I am not able to use the highest multi anyway at least at 200blck)
Some people are getting 4.4 to 4.6 but for me those clock speeds are only benchmark stable...I might pay an extra $20 at most for the 5670 if i had to do it all over again cause from what i can tell there end up the same speed

From what I can see, these are the low-end of prices:

5650 - $75
5660 - $125
5670 - $175

I can see the reason why people would pay $50 for the 5660 over the 5650 but can't understand why people would pay $50 more for the 5670 over the 5660 (if there is no multi difference). I'm thinking of just selling all my x79 gear off and going to x58 for everything as I have several boards laying around already and some extra l5639s and l5640s as well as a couple quad core xeons and i7s. I prefer the x5650 to my L56xxs so i'll probably just sell em for the same price and scoop up x5650s.

Just installed a $120 ebay X5660 in my old Gigabyte X58 UDR3 motherboard with 12GB of Corsair RAM. Overclocked it to 4.2Ghz on air stable at 1.296V (Cooler Master 212 Evo). Thanks HardOCP members for the idea! :cool:

i am not a 1366 OC expert but:

Higher multi SKUs allow you to reach 4.2GHz with sub-200 bclk. some mobos have issues with bclks above 180. SR2 sound goes nuts above 180, for example.

Q1 2011 SKUs like X5690, X5675 are from a more mature process, so you either have a better OC headroom or need less voltage at same clock. Even if the process did not mature between 2010 adn 2011, going for a 2011 SKU would net you a CPU 1y younger. :D

Yea I just haven't seen any indication to show that a x5660 can oc higher or better than a x5670. I have a lot of boards to play with and some systems to build.

What variant board?

Ah sorry, I should have been more specific for certain, I was at work and it slipped my mind. It is a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0. RAM is CMX4GX3M2A1600C9. QPI is set at 3600Mhz. Bclk at 200, CPU multiplier is X21 turboboost off, but other power saving features are turned on. Idle temps are ~36C and Prime 95 temps ~70C Max.

Last edited:
Just installed a $120 ebay X5660 in my old Gigabyte X58 UDR3 motherboard with 12GB of Corsair RAM. Overclocked it to 4.2Ghz on air stable at 1.296V (Cooler Master 212 Evo). Thanks HardOCP members for the idea! :cool:

Can you post your config? I am currently doing 21x200 with 4.8 qpi. This push my ram to 1600. At first it was on 6-8-6-20 timing but I found it unstable so now I'm only 8-8-8-22. Vcore is on 1.35v and vdimm on 1.5v.

Just installed my L5640 and have it at 17x200. Not sure how high it will go. I have the vcore a little high right now but check my bios and see if anything jumps out as needing a change.

I might switch to the X5660 if I can't get a least 3.8 out of this one.

Idle temps are 32C and 68C load with ambient 74F in the house.

System Specs:
NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black
Corsair AX750
EVGA X58 FTW3
Xeon L5640 @ 3.4
24gb (6x4) Corsair Dominator
MSI R7970 3gb
2 256gb Samsung SSD Raid 0
300gb WD VR scratch drive

Cooling:
HK 3.0 LT
EK 7970
Switech MCR 360, 240, 120
Corsair SP120 in push/pull wired at 5v
Hidden XSPC dual res with D5 vario
Enzotech rotaries with 7/16 tubing, no clamps, heat shrinked connections.

Can you post your config? I am currently doing 21x200 with 4.8 qpi. This push my ram to 1600. At first it was on 6-8-6-20 timing but I found it unstable so now I'm only 8-8-8-22. Vcore is on 1.35v and vdimm on 1.5v.

Here is my config:

Clock Ratio=x21
Turbo Boost =Disabled, all other energy saving settings enabled.
QPI Clock Ratio=x36 (7.2Ghz)
UnCore Clock Ratio=x16 (3200 Mhz)
Bclk=200
System Memory Multi(SPD)=x8 (1600Mhz)
PCI Express=Locked at 100 manually
CPU CLK DRIVE=800mV
PCI Express CLK Drive=900mV

Voltages
CPU VCORE=1.296
QPI/VTT=1.295V
CPU PLL=1.860
DRAM=AUTO

This is my setup with a X5660 @ 4.2Ghz. Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Here is my config:

Clock Ratio=x21
Turbo Boost =Disabled, all other energy saving settings enabled.
QPI Clock Ratio=x36 (7.2Ghz)
UnCore Clock Ratio=x16 (3200 Mhz)
Bclk=200
System Memory Multi(SPD)=x8 (1600Mhz)
PCI Express=Locked at 100 manually
CPU CLK DRIVE=800mV
PCI Express CLK Drive=900mV

Voltages
CPU VCORE=1.296
QPI/VTT=1.295V
CPU PLL=1.860
DRAM=AUTO

This is my setup with a X5660 @ 4.2Ghz. Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions!

NICE! Thank you. Gave me an idea to tweak my settings slightly and ended up with 6-8-6-24 stable memory now, and Vcore is currently at 1.3026, but most of the time it's around 1.29V. :D
http://valid.x86.fr/8mfzg7

Last edited:
The max I could get it in the BIOS, is 150 MHz. I had to drop to using 3 sticks of RAM, so I'm back to 12GB at the moment. Will most likely pick up 3 x 8GB sticks.

But, using EasyTune6 in tandem with the BIOS....

IT FUCKING WORKED.

gS9eLJZ.jpg

Just installed my L5640 and have it at 17x200. Not sure how high it will go. I have the vcore a little high right now but check my bios and see if anything jumps out as needing a change.

I might switch to the X5660 if I can't get a least 3.8 out of this one.

Idle temps are 32C and 68C load with ambient 74F in the house.

System Specs:
NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black
Corsair AX750
EVGA X58 FTW3
Xeon L5640 @ 3.4
24gb (6x4) Corsair Dominator
MSI R7970 3gb
2 256gb Samsung SSD Raid 0
300gb WD VR scratch drive

Cooling:
HK 3.0 LT
EK 7970
Switech MCR 360, 240, 120
Corsair SP120 in push/pull wired at 5v
Hidden XSPC dual res with D5 vario
Enzotech rotaries with 7/16 tubing, no clamps, heat shrinked connections.

Nice setup!

The max I could get it in the BIOS, is 150 MHz. I had to drop to using 3 sticks of RAM, so I'm back to 12GB at the moment. Will most likely pick up 3 x 8GB sticks.

But, using EasyTune6 in tandem with the BIOS....

IT FUCKING WORKED.

gS9eLJZ.jpg

I have herd those gigabyte boards are a bitch to overclock...looks like your getting there anyway.....Man asus boards are so easy in comparison ;)

I have herd those gigabyte boards are a bitch to overclock...looks like your getting there anyway.....Man asus boards are so easy in comparison ;)

It's great for the i7 920.

It's a fucking bitch with the 6-cores. Not sure about i7 970 / 980X / 990X, but it likes to be a real twatwaffle with the Xeons. This one worked out a lot better than the L5639.

I'm pretty satisfied with what I got now. I was fine with 3.6 GHz, but was interested in getting another two cores. ;)

Might eventually try to get a higher multi Xeon though.

Why did my CPU all of a sudden decide it wants to boot at 19x multiplier?

Update: Apparently Turbo was working and bumping the multiplier up, but I didnt realize it worked with Xeons.

Last edited:
Why did my CPU all of a sudden decide it wants to boot at 19x multiplier?

Update: Apparently Turbo was working and bumping the multiplier up, but I didnt realize it worked with Xeons.

personally mine drops to 12x when not in use....but jumps to 21x as soon as its needed...i guess my point is what is the multi when the cpu is in use? i actually have all c states, core parking, speed step enabled on purpose.....fuck its summer...less heat coming out my pc the better.......cause when i need the power it jumps to 4200mhz anyway;)

yours should be running at 21x when needed right?

yours should be running at 21x when needed right?

The L5640 only runs at 17x, this is one of the reasons I am thinking about switching to an X5660. The low power Xeons just cant get that high with the low multi. I am running a 205 bclk but I am not sure my board can go much higher.

The L5640 only runs at 17x, this is one of the reasons I am thinking about switching to an X5660. The low power Xeons just cant get that high with the low multi. I am running a 205 bclk but I am not sure my board can go much higher.

Yeah various and dare I say most x58 mobo's start getting problems in the 200-210BCLK zone. Almost all of the them struggle at 210-220BCLK. Rare indeed is a 220+ BCLK, definitely not the norm. Myself 205-210 was where I really needed to have everything dialed in perfect for even near stable operations. I'm on P6X58D-E btw.

Well my Xeon is out for delivery. Just a few more hours. I'm sending my 920 into retirement with a voltage party. I've been content enough to run at 4Ghz for the longest time. Typing this at 4.2Ghz. I've always had a hungry D0. Need about 1.33v just for a rock solid 4Ghz. Sure I can get into windows on 1.3v but passing FryBench or 3DMark I need 1.33v. I'm at [email protected] right now. Temps in high 40ºC but again I'm just typing in Chrome brower here. Might try for 4.3Ghz though me thinks I'll end up near 1.5v and this is just on air with 212+. Problem is I'm already at 200x21 and my system starts getting wonky when BLCK gets much higher

If anything I'm hoping my Xeon hits 4Ghz on less than 1.25v and 4.2 on less than 1.3v that plus the extra two cores and I'll be content. Probably 7 hours till delivery and then gimme a few hours to install and work my way up the food chain. I'm hoping that 22x Multi works for me. Report back soon.

Ok guys I'm now officially in the club. Booted right up and I'm pleased to report I do have full access to the 22X multi. I know someone mentioned concerns about this awhile back.
At any rate, first boot I'm just on 133BCLK, set the vcore at 1.125v. Typing this with 4 out of 6 cores at either 28 or 29ºC, the other two are at 34 and 35ºC. This was how my i7 was though. Two hotter cores and the rest cooler.
As I've said earlier my ram and mobo get real finicky over 200BLCK I can tune the ram down to just 6x and that helps a lot. Remember I do have just ddr3 1333 not 1600+ like most here.
I was running my i7 at 191x21. If I can get this baby to 191x22 that's perfect. 191 gives me lower 15xx on my ram and that's about as high as she likes to go with 100% stability.
Anyway, I won't bother with the fine print till I either hit my wall or have a problem. I hope to see you guys again a bit past that 4Ghz mark

Oh fyi I tried dialing in my i7 at 4.3Ghz and it was an absolute no go even with 1.5v vcore it would not even post.

Back