1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
no ill let it go lol......its just seems a little weird since all these years i had it set to raid with "intel" drivers....after a bit of research it seems your right. Matter of fact im kinda thinking that using the raid drivers with modern windows build could be asking for trouble. (with our x58 anyway)

a bit unrelated but my ancient amd laptop gets3 times the sata performance with amd sata driver...i guess its different from our boards

Mazzspeed

2[H]4U
I'm running an LSI SAS9211 PCIE 8x raid controller card flashed to IT firmware for JBOD with no bios at post and it's easily just as fast as any Intel SATA 3 onboard solution.

I'm also running a m.2 to PCIE adapter which is technically way faster than SATA 3 and realistically speaking I can quite easily live with SATA 3 via the LSI SAS9211, the difference isn't that staggering.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
I'm running an LSI SAS9211 PCIE 8x raid controller card flashed to IT firmware for JBOD with no bios at post and it's easily just as fast as any Intel SATA 3 onboard solution.

I'm also running a m.2 to PCIE adapter which is technically way faster than SATA 3 and realistically speaking I can quite easily live with SATA 3 via the LSI SAS9211, the difference isn't that staggering.

Same here. The only real limit for NVMe was PCIe 2.0 which capped speeds around 1400MB/s on my 950 Pro. I haven't had any issues with my 9211 and spinners.

Mazzspeed

2[H]4U
Same here. The only real limit for NVMe was PCIe 2.0 which capped speeds around 1400MB/s on my 950 Pro. I haven't had any issues with my 9211 and spinners.

1400MB/s is still crazy fast, theoretically. I find in the real world the improvements aren't quite as staggering.

tikicult

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys. I am not sure where else to post about this because so few people use these dinosaur processors anymore. I have an Asus Rampage Gene II mobo with an i7 950@ 4.0 Ghz. I have ran it overclocked on water since I got the proc back in 2009 and its been a champ. Today the thing decided that its gonna start freaking out on me. As soon as I turn on the system, the core temp jumps to over 80C!! The only change I have made recently was giving my system a good cleaning. I have not taken off my waterblock in about 2 years, but my temps have always been in normal range as I keep tabs on them due to the overclock. Voltages are also well within safe limits, although the 1.4V I have for the CPU is pushing it a little, its been set to that since day 1. Other than re-seating the WB (which I intend to do as soon as I get new thermal paste), are there any other issues I should be looking at or concerned about as this thing ages?

slayer3032

n00b
I wouldn't be concerned about anything more than the fact you could upgrade to a westmere hex core for $25! You can buy many nehalem xeon quads for less than $5 for something equivalent to all of the lower end i7's. As long as your motherboard is good enough to keep up I wouldn't be concerned about degrading a 1366 quad core at all. I'm not even running 1.4v through my X5675 to get 4.6ghz on air.

Going from a 930 at max of 3.85ghz to a X5675 was one of the best things I ever did with my setup while filling all my extra ram slots with $18 worth of ddr3 ecc unbuffered.

Maybe upgrade your PSU to something that's more modern and modular if you haven't? I noticed a huge difference in voltage output from the psu going from a 10+ year old Thermal Toughpower 750w to a Seasonic Focus+ 850w and everything should be much smoother since this thing doesn't even flinch at a load.

Brackle

Old Timer
So my buddy has an old X58 Asus Rampage III, and I convinced him to get a Xeon X56xx. Now at first he did not believe me they are still very good in todays games etc.

Now tbh it very hard to find any good reliable benchmarks anywhere, but I did find one below comparing a X5675 @ 4.5ghz vs a 8700k @ 5ghz.

Kind of shocked me too seeing the benchmark. Not sure its 100% accurate or anything like that, but it is interesting to see these benchmarks.

kasash

n00b
Hi guys. I'm new to desktop computers and overclocking but I have some ideia of what hardware and software are.
So I got inspired buy the youtuber you see in the video posted in the last comment and I decided to build a price/performance PC.
I bought:
Motherboard: MSI BIG BANG XPOWER
CPU: Xeon X5675
Ram: 3 x 4GB Kingston HIperx Fury DDR3 1333mhz
HDD: WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB 3.5 SATA 6Gbs 64MB 7200Rpm
Cooler: Watercooler Corsair H80
PSU: Corsair RM850x Gold
Video Card: MSI GT 1030 2GB DDR5 OC

I was able to get a stable overclock at 4.393 Ghz with voltages at auto settings (cause I dont know how to set them properly).
I'm running at 191x23
Disabled Turbo boost and power saving options. Set ram's to 9-9-9-24 and running at 1528 mhz (this is the second option on my bios)
It can go higher, up to 4.5 Ghz at 196x23 or 184x25, boot, and stress test on AIDA64, CPU-Z and works fine.
Temps don't go far from 60º C on 100% load but when I run cinebench ou firestrike somewhere along the way the PC crashes.
I believe that with proper settings on voltage and not using auto options it can go up to 200x23 or more and dont crash.
But I need help. Can someone help me? At this moment the PC is solid rock on 191x23 = 4.393Ghz, rams at 9-9-9-24 running at 1528mhz.
Cinebench score arround 1040. CPU-Z single at around 380 pts and multicore at arround 3050 points.

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
My case has more striped out screw holes and missing parts than most people in these forums lol And my Antec 900 is down to 2 working case fans lol. I want a newer case with better wire management and newer features. (But im not ready to give up optical drives yet)

Any thoughts on this case? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...a4e-5aecb1453b40&pf_rd_r=S449DABQ1SKJ551JSPHN
81hcCVFYH4L._SL1500_.jpg

Only Mid size or smaller? Check
Has Window? Check
Can install BD Drive? Check
Can have as good or better Air cooling (or water) than what i currently use? Check

Of course id Have to order fans as well...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076BDLTF6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2BNHNMI089WSH&psc=1 look interesting and affordable

ended up ordering this one instead! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BI0X82M/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
81h5mjeP-6L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Deimos

[H]ard|Gawd
Throw in an LSI SAS HBA or ASMedia SATA3 adapter.

An LSI SAS HBA is extremely unlikely to work as expected. I'm pretty sure I posted my experience with an LSI HBA in this very thread, had to jump through hoops just to get the system to post and couldn't use it to boot an OS. Most pointless exercise I ever undertook and it ended up in a box in the garage.

Farkle

Lurker
An LSI SAS HBA is extremely unlikely to work as expected. I'm pretty sure I posted my experience with an LSI HBA in this very thread, had to jump through hoops just to get the system to post and couldn't use it to boot an OS. Most pointless exercise I ever undertook and it ended up in a box in the garage.

Dell H200, Dell H310, and LSI SAS 9300-8i work fine for certain on Gigabyte X58 based boards (UD3, and UD5), and on Dell Precision T3500/T5500 motherboards. I'm booting off of H200, and H310 models specifically. They worked in IT mode, but I have them flashed standard Dell IR firmware, for RAID1. The T3500 was a fresh install with the H200, no extra drivers required on install, but the H310 and 9300-8i usage were drop in replacements for the prior ASMedia PCI-E cards I was using until I decided I wanted RAID1 on the boot drives. You should probably mess around with the firmware, and either go LSI generic, or vendor specific to not upset the Windows 10 HAL gods.

Mazzspeed

2[H]4U
LSI SAS HBA here in IT mode with boot bios on a Dell T5500, no issues whatsoever. Do people realize that SFF-8087 to SATA leads are both forward and reverse breakout? You need a forward breakout lead otherwise you will never see any HDD's and never get the card working.

jfreund

[H]ard|Gawd
I have to say, hats off to Asrock. I have a W3670 running on an Asrock X58 Extreme3 serving as my HTPC. It was in a Silverstone case with a height limit of about 110mm for the CPU cooler. I had a Cooler Master S524 installed, but even at a modest OC of 3.66GHz, the temps would top 70C.

I finally found an HTPC-suitable case that will fit a 240mm radiator AND a full-sized ATX mobo (Thermaltake Core G3 slim ATX). After moving the system into the new case and installing an H105 AIO, I started clocking. I got to 25x167, but I couldn't get stability at a higher BClock. On a whim, I tried the fastest overclock preset in the BIOS, 21X200, expecting to have to reset CMOS after failure. To my surprise, it booted to desktop. I fired up Handbrake and soon got a program error, but not a bluescreen. The VCore preset was +0.35V offset, so I bumped it to +0.4V. Handbrake finished a re-encode of a 2 hour Blu-Ray. The highest temp on the hottest core was 69C, but once the fans spun up the hottest core stayed around 63C. CPU-Z showed a VCore of 1.328-1.33V.

There are 2 problems. First, after the CPU load is back to baseline, the fans keep spinning at high RPM until I restart. I can live with that. Second, with 6x2GB DIMMs, mixed kits with different voltage and timing specs, I have to run DDR3 1200 instead of 1600. I'm going to put a 3x4GB kit in and see if I can get 1600 for the RAM.

Last edited:

Mazzspeed

2[H]4U
My main PC used daily:

- Dell T5500.
- Dual X5675 Xeons.
- Nvidia 980Ti.
- LSI 9211-8i flashed to IT mode with no boot bios for SATA 2 6Gbps.
- Kingston HyperX m.2 SSD on a m.2 to pcie adapter as the boot drive.
- Soundblaster X-Fi
- Seagate 1TB HDD for general storage.
- Hitachi 1TB HDD for /home (OS is Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS).
- 12GB ECC DDR3 (6GB + 6GB).
- LG HDDVD/BD optical drive.
- Dual HP EliteDisplay E241i IPS 1920 x 1200 monitors.

Large image warning, if they're too big let me know and I'll use smaller images.

VWEOcKo.jpg

EQMoZDv.jpg

My main PC used daily:

- Dell T5500.
- Dual X5675 Xeons.
- Nvidia 980Ti.
- Soundblaster X-Fi

Large image warning, if they're too big let me know and I'll use smaller images.

One thing I could recommend to you is to mount 2 80mm fans in the back to help exhaust the air out. I did that with mine (Dual X5660, 96GB RAM, Radeon 6970), it helped bring the temps down a bit.

Mazzspeed

2[H]4U
One thing I could recommend to you is to mount 2 80mm fans in the back to help exhaust the air out. I did that with mine (Dual X5660, 96GB RAM, Radeon 6970), it helped bring the temps down a bit.

Honestly, I have thought about doing just that. The issue is that this system runs 24/7 (I don't turn my PC off!) and I'm a little concerned about noise. Did adding the fans to the rear of the case create noticeably more noise in your experience?

Honestly, I have thought about doing just that. The issue is that this system runs 24/7 (I don't turn my PC off!) and I'm a little concerned about noise. Did adding the fans to the rear of the case create noticeably more noise in your experience?

Not that I've noticed, but I usually have headphones on and this is sitting on the floor next to a Mac Pro underneath my desk. Could always go for Noctuas. I used 80mm Arctic cooling ones I got off Amazon in a 4 or 5 pack.

Mazzspeed

2[H]4U
Not that I've noticed, but I usually have headphones on and this is sitting on the floor next to a Mac Pro underneath my desk. Could always go for Noctuas. I used 80mm Arctic cooling ones I got off Amazon in a 4 or 5 pack.

Awesome, I'll take a look. I could even put a speed controller on the fans to slow them down a little. Thanks for your input. ;)

Susquehannock

Supreme [H]ardness
My main PC used daily:

- Dell T5500.
- Dual X5675 Xeons.
- Nvidia 980Ti.
- Soundblaster X-Fi
Very nice. Desktop configuration I see.
If I may ask, are you running UDIMM or RDIMM modules in that T5500?

Mazzspeed

2[H]4U
Very nice. Desktop configuration I see.
If I may ask, are you running UDIMM or RDIMM modules in that T5500?

Thanks for the comments. :)

Yes, the machine is set up in desktop configuration. When I first got it I assumed that the faceplate would be able to be rotated around for non desktop configuration, it wasn't until I tried reorienting the faceplate that I realized this isn't possible due to the fact that the faceplate is not a square! So I rotated the Dell badge and just left it in desktop configuration, doesn't bother me at all.

In relation to the memory, the machine is running Kingston RDIMM modules configured as NUMA.

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
My budget gaming rig built from scrap parts from my employer:

2x Xeon X5670 2.93ghz
SuperMicro X8DTi
48gb RAM DDR3-1333 (I'm slowly ramping up to 192GB that I have waiting to go in, because why not. :) )
120GB AData SSD (Gotta cut corners somewhere...)
2TB Seagate HDD
Radeon R9 290 4GB

All in; I paid $60 for the case, $40 for a PSU, $80 for the motherboard, and $50 for Heatsinks.

Mazzspeed

2[H]4U
My budget gaming rig built from scrap parts from my employer:

2x Xeon X5670 2.93ghz
SuperMicro X8DTi
48gb RAM DDR3-1333 (I'm slowly ramping up to 192GB that I have waiting to go in, because why not. :) )
120GB AData SSD (Gotta cut corners somewhere...)
2TB Seagate HDD
Radeon R9 290 4GB

All in; I paid $60 for the case, $40 for a PSU, $80 for the motherboard, and $50 for Heatsinks.

It's amazing what you can scavenge up these days! Awesome rig!

I remember when I was a kid saving up for ages just to get a second hand C64, hardly anyone had computers. Now they're so plentiful you can get kick ass hardware like this for nix. :D

Logan M

Limp Gawd
So my buddy has an old X58 Asus Rampage III, and I convinced him to get a Xeon X56xx. Now at first he did not believe me they are still very good in todays games etc.

Now tbh it very hard to find any good reliable benchmarks anywhere, but I did find one below comparing a X5675 @ 4.5ghz vs a 8700k @ 5ghz.

Kind of shocked me too seeing the benchmark. Not sure its 100% accurate or anything like that, but it is interesting to see these benchmarks.

Tech YES City is definitely reliable for benchmarks. He has a lot of really informative videos for people looking to put together budget systems. An overclocked X5675 is still a very viable processor for modern games.

archet

n00b
Hi All,
anyone know if a Xeon will work in a Biostar Tpower x58 motherboard? Ive been running a 920 rock stable since 2010 in it, but am intrigued w/ the Xeon upgrade.
Thanks for any input!

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Get the latest bios and see. It might work anyway. If not the X5xxx chips, maybe the W3xxx ones.

slayer3032

n00b
Hi All,
anyone know if a Xeon will work in a Biostar Tpower x58 motherboard? Ive been running a 920 rock stable since 2010 in it, but am intrigued w/ the Xeon upgrade.
Thanks for any input!

It supports Gulftown(i7 hexcores) with the latest bios update according to Biostar, I ran it through intelmicrocodelist and it does have the microcode for 206C2 which is also for the xeon hexcores. The microcode revision is pretty old and the later 0F(maybe 13 also) have issues with the uncore which this one is even earlier than those. If you can patch the latest microcode into your bios I don't see any reason why you couldn't get a mild overclock going on a X5650 or X5660 for really cheap that would be much more powerful than your current setup while adding an extra couple cores on top. Your board doesn't have the high amount of power phases like the high end boards. However with my X58A-UD5 rev.1 with the same amount of power phases I manage a perfectly stable 4.6ghz on air with a really good X5675 which didn't need much voltage at all to break 4ghz so you should definitely be able to do 4ghz as well.

Of course, this is unsupported territory. It's entirely possible it won't be stable, boot or explode into flames or whatever. However, with how cheap you can find 6 core westmere cpus it's a really solid gamble. If you get the 14 or 1D microcodes patched into your bios you should be fine. Some people have reported instabilities with the 2018 Spectre microcodes and my personal experience with it wasn't great either with random shut downs. I would consider it a safe bet to go with known good microcodes pre-spectre and 14 and 1D have always worked great for me on my X5675. I've read that some early motherboards just aren't compatible with xeons, needing hardware mods or something but I just can't find much any proof other than a single person saying a L5639 didn't work out of the box with their TPower X58 when they didn't even exist when the board came out and a later bios update added support for Gulftown.

You'll probably want to track down someone who knows a bit more about AMI bios editing and maybe has some first hand experience for X58 boards, I gave it a shot researching into it. You should be able to use MMTool 3.26(good luck finding a download) to patch in the microcodes, between using MCE to extract and check microcodes and reading some guides you should be able to do it yourself. I gave it a try with a MMTool I had on my computer and it seems to "work" after I had to edit the length of the 206C2 microcode to make MMTool happy, which is a reported issue of sorts but was left on the fault of MMTool.

It didn't seem too hard, I would probably start out with only swapping out the 206C2 microcode and testing your new cpu to see if it works. After that you could choose to update the rest of them if you want. I'll link a few pages that helped me out. When I tried editing the beta bios revisions for my gigabyte board which are twice as big as the standard bios and have to be flashed with a stupid windows 7 only program it would just brick and I would have to invoke the backup bios to flash over the corrupted beta bios. Your motherboard seems to have the bios on a removable chip which you can order spares so having a spare bios chip on hand which you've confirmed to work first before messing with it would definitely be the most absolute safe method possible or as a backup plan.

It also appears Biostar added microcodes for two 1156 cpus into your bios, I'm not sure if their bios developers are just a little slow, lazy or there was actually a reason but I found that interesting.

http://wp.xin.at/archives/4397
http://www.linuxmediaserver.net/linux-basics/modding-ami-bios/
https://www.win-raid.com/t12f16-Guide-AMI-non-UEFI-BIOS-Modding.html

Napoleon

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey gang - going to be parting ways with my X58-based desktop (I live in Denver), let me know if any interest or advice on how to part out. It still works great but I never use it; moving on to a less powerful gaming laptop (about half as powerful based on Furmark bench) as I move into the 'having a family' stage of life. Thanks for your input!

My specs are:
CPU: Intel X5670 6 core @ 4.1ghz
Memory: 3x 8gb Crucial Ballistix Low Profile DDR3L-1600
MOBO: Gigabyte X58 UD3R v2
GPU: GTX 1080 FE
Custom Watercooled case:
HSF: Heatkiller 3.0 nickel base (and extra copper base)
GPU HSF: Heatkiller 1080 Nickel/acetal - brand new (not installed)
Radiators: 2x Black Ice Nemesis 280GTS XFLOW
Fans: 5x Noctua NF-A14 (2x per rad push only, 1 case side-mounted fan) /w Custom PWM fan controller + rear-mounted knob
Pump: Swiftech MCP655
Radiator: Custom
Case: Corsair 750D Airflow with side-mounted fan
PSU: EVGA P2- 750 power supply
UPS: Cyberpower 600W (6 months old)
Monitor: Benq XL2730Z 1440p 144hz Freesync monitor
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB
HDD: Western Digital 640GB

Attachments

• comp_pic.jpg
    comp_pic.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 0
  • comp_pic2.jpg
    comp_pic2.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 0

archet

n00b
Hi Napoleon,
I am kind of interested in your rig (or at least most of it)
let me know what you had in mind.

Napoleon

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi Napoleon,
I am kind of interested in your rig (or at least most of it)
let me know what you had in mind.
Hey David - Can you let me know which parts you're interested in so I can get you some prices? Where are you located (thinking of shipping logistics)? Also if you want me to run any benchmarks for you, I'd be glad to. Here's 3dmark from a while ago: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12394579, stock video card. Not sure why I can't direct message you.

archet

n00b
Hi,
I am in Seattle 98155
I already have a 1080 GPU
even though I am on the Hard web site daily I rarely respond in the Forums.
you can reach me @ archet@wolfenet.com or txt @ 206-949-1135
below is what I am interested in.
Thank you.
David

CPU: Intel X5670 6 core @ 4.1ghz
Memory: 3x 8gb Crucial Ballistix Low Profile DDR3L-1600
MOBO: Gigabyte X58 UD3R v2
Custom Watercooled case:
HSF: Heatkiller 3.0 nickel base (and extra copper base)
GPU HSF: Heatkiller 1080 Nickel/acetal - brand new (not installed)
Radiators: 2x Black Ice Nemesis 280GTS XFLOW
Fans: 5x Noctua NF-A14 (2x per rad push only, 1 case side-mounted fan) /w Custom PWM fan controller + rear-mounted knob
Pump: Swiftech MCP655
Radiator: Custom
Case: Corsair 750D Airflow with side-mounted fan
PSU: EVGA P2- 750 power supply

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
my x58 is officially offline permanently....motherboard has been diieing a slow death and its time to retire it. (i think the sata ports have been on the way out....this thing wasn t meant to last 10 years lol
I need to order a new setup SOON.....I need suggestions... obviously the new ryzens are at the top of my list cause the 8 core skylakes are way higher..but is it worth the extra money? Some of you experienced hands chime in please.....the thread rippers are a possabality as well....but part of me wants to stay with intel

Willseyvilleny

[H]ard|Gawd
I thought that the original ryzen was a little bit of a bump over the x5675 at a~4.4 GHz. However I bought an 8700k afterwards thinking I would see a big jump. While measurable I don't know if I was super impressed. Pair that with the fact that ryzen 2 gets better clocks and still maintains the two core advantage... I'd go for the 2700x. However if Intel releases a reasonably priced 8 core I might stick around.

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
I thought that the original ryzen was a little bit of a bump over the x5675 at a~4.4 GHz. However I bought an 8700k afterwards thinking I would see a big jump. While measurable I don't know if I was super impressed. Pair that with the fact that ryzen 2 gets better clocks and still maintains the two core advantage... I'd go for the 2700x. However if Intel releases a reasonably priced 8 core I might stick around.
thats exactly my thoughts......which will be the better platform down the road? maybe both are good choices

Brackle

Old Timer
Sad to hear it failed on you. If you are interested I do plan to sell my X58 sabertooth X5675 and memory for cheap. If you are interested just give me a PM. I do not need them anymore.

suck it died on you. But, I went with a 2700 non K, and I have been very happy with this setup, just makes sure you get wicked fast memory for it.

bjtag

n00b
What upgrade path you guy think-opinions???

Wishing there was a clear UPgrade from my X5670 at 4.4 with 24gigs, ssd's and 1080ti but.........Sad the only thing i want is PCIe Nvme but even then the only thing that feels better form what i have tested is TheardRipper and TitanV !!! Even 8700k at 4.9 didn't seem that fast or Snappy??? Then again they DON'T make motherboards like my Gigabyte GA-X58A-OC (ALL solid Caps, Coils, and Chokes) Running 24/7 9 plus years... Got it wet twice from bad AIO water coolers but won't die!
But I know she won't live forever and this board go for 400-500+ on ebay if you can find one.

So Wait for the next big thing Treadripper2? maybe 1100GTX?

What would you Guy's do???

ChineseStunna

Limp Gawd
What upgrade path you guy think-opinions???

Wishing there was a clear UPgrade from my X5670 at 4.4 with 24gigs, ssd's and 1080ti but.........Sad the only thing i want is PCIe Nvme but even then the only thing that feels better form what i have tested is TheardRipper and TitanV !!! Even 8700k at 4.9 didn't seem that fast or Snappy??? Then again they DON'T make motherboards like my Gigabyte GA-X58A-OC (ALL solid Caps, Coils, and Chokes) Running 24/7 9 plus years... Got it wet twice from bad AIO water coolers but won't die!
But I know she won't live forever and this board go for 400-500+ on ebay if you can find one.

So Wait for the next big thing Treadripper2? maybe 1100GTX?

What would you Guy's do???

Haha almost exact same setup, X5670 @ 4.2 Gigabyte X58-Extreme (UD5) with 24gigs, only thing I want is NVME as well. What are your settings for 4.4? I could never get 4.4 stable on this (maybe the OC board has better optimizations)?