1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Discussion in 'Intel Processors' started by primetime, May 30, 2014.

1. Big_Rig_Stig

Big_Rig_Stig Gawd

I'm hoping for a few more years out of this, maybe just to say it can be done to the naysayers and "anti-futureproofers" out there.

2. diceman2037

diceman2037 n00bie

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  3. Brackle

Brackle Old Timer

Yea I am hoping too. Although I have a chance to upgrade soon, the only thing I really wish we has was M.2 or NVME support.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  4. Denpepe

Denpepe Limp Gawd

5. Wyodiver

Wyodiver [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, kinda fugly. And expensive. I'll probably get a CM Hyper 212 EVO soon. My temps are ok now, but summer is coming.

6. Big_Rig_Stig

Big_Rig_Stig Gawd

Yanno, it boots pretty damn quick now, and the r/w speeds are way above what they were before, so I have no complaints except the ram right now (is it me, or have programs gone Miss Piggy on us?). I'm thinking of springing for a USB3.0 card and doing some modeling to bring the ports to the top of the case, unless someone can make a better case for a PCIe SATA 3 controller (so far, all comments have been negative).

7. Big_Rig_Stig

Big_Rig_Stig Gawd

Like you spend time in front of your glass case door fapping to your HSF setup. :tard:

EDIT: This is like golfers saying they putt better with a putter that "looks good" - - it's nothing more than brand snobbery. My buddy HATES my Gen1 Heavy Putter, but I can outputt him every fucking time because that "ugly" hunk of steel works FAR better than his flavor-of-the-week POS.

If ya can't get that, we'll, too bad.

8. Big_Rig_Stig

Big_Rig_Stig Gawd

What, no air conditioning?

Wyodiver likes this.
  9. Wyodiver

Wyodiver [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, I have air conditioning. But I use it to keep me comfortable, not my PC. My Dell T3500 has a passive HS, with two case fans in the front. A 212 EVO would be great for cooling.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  10. Denpepe

Denpepe Limp Gawd

Someone got out of bed with the wrong foot (or 2).

11. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Limp Gawd

I just ordered the second CPU daughterboard for my T5500, dual X5675's here I come!

When it comes to dual processors do they absolutely have to be a matched pair or is it OK provided they're both the same processor?

12. warderkeeju

warderkeeju n00bie

T5500 is a beast with dual X5675s. I picked mine up some years ago from Dell Refurbished and jammed a full rack of memory in it. It's a damn good box for what I paid for it.
    I do believe they need to have the same stepping when you're doing dual procs.

Big_Rig_Stig and Mazzspeed like this.
  13. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Limp Gawd

It's undoubtedly one of the best purchases I ever made, an absolute tank of a machine!

Is there a way to tell the stepping from the codes on the heatspreader?

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  14. warderkeeju

warderkeeju n00bie

The stepping should be marked on the IHS -- you may need a decoder to decipher whatever the actual stepping is.
    It's also on the retail packaging if you are lucky enough to get that with a used CPU.

ServerMonkey can and will sell you sets of CPUs with matched steppings, that's where I snagged my x5675s for my box.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  15. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Limp Gawd

Thanks for the tip re: Servermonkey, I'll take a look. It's already a fast machine with one X5675 so looking forward to seeing how this performs with 2 x 5675's!

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  16. diceman2037

diceman2037 n00bie

lol, these snobs whining about ugly coolers and then say they'll use an out dated coolermaster unit that will oxidise and discolour.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  17. Big_Rig_Stig

Big_Rig_Stig Gawd

It's the drugs. I"ve been sick, the steroids have me raging.

18. Brackle

Brackle Old Timer

Welp after a nice check with 20 hours overtime. I decided to buy a X5675. Hoping the 23 multi will make getting 4.6ghz a lil easier. As much as I want to upgrade I see no point. Maybe a new SSD or something but thats about all I can think of!

kirbyrj, Mazzspeed and Big_Rig_Stig like this.
  19. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Limp Gawd

There's totally no need to upgrade, x58's still a more than capable platform. It'd be nice to have native SATA 6, but even that's not a real deal breaker.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  20. jojo69

jojo69 [H]ardForum Junkie

way to own it, here, I'll punch your [H] card

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  21. Big_Rig_Stig

Big_Rig_Stig Gawd

It's cool, Kyle hissef has punched my card at least twice since 1997.

22. Wyodiver

Wyodiver [H]ard|Gawd

Hi all. Weird prob:

Recently my T3500 fans are running at full speed. I have no idea as to why. CPU temps are around 20C at idle, 55C at load.

I honestly would not care if it wasn't for the fact that the fans are really loud. It just started a few days ago, and I didn't do anything at all to cause this, meaning, didn't open the case, or even really do anything software wise.

Any ideas?

PS: I know that this thread is about overclocking Xeons, but I'm just hoping somebody can help me.

23. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Limp Gawd

Have you checked your bios settings just in case your motherboard battery has gone flat and reset the bios to default? It's a long shot, but freakier things have happened and the battery would be reaching the age where it's due for replacement.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  24. warderkeeju

warderkeeju n00bie

Check the chassis intrusion button on the machine -- they tend to get gummed up and go a bit wonky, or get into the BIOS and disable the chassis intrusion button altogether.
    Sometimes Dell will overdrive all fans when the case is open.

Wyodiver and Big_Rig_Stig like this.
  25. Wyodiver

Wyodiver [H]ard|Gawd

I've checked the BIOS, no mention of a intrusion switch, and I can't find a pic of it on Google or Bing.

Hep me! Hep me!

26. warderkeeju

warderkeeju n00bie

Intrusion switch looks like this

Attached Files:

27. Wyodiver

Wyodiver [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks, guys. I got it fixed. Re-seating the side panel, blowing everything I could get to with compressed air, and swearing a bunch did the trick.

When I had the side off I looked and looked for an intrusion micro-switch, couldn't find one. And my BIOS was no help, but I did clear the logs.

The noise of the fans was driving me nuts. Back to peace and quiet.

Again, thanks.

Mazzspeed and Bielzebuddha like this.
  28. primetime

primetime [H]ardness Supreme

29. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

As always, at what cost? I got my X5660 and Sabertooth board with 12GB of RAM for maybe $150 total. I'd have to find a pretty good deal just to get 16GB of RAM for $150. Mine is currently running as a video server, and I encode video on it. It's starting to seem a little slow as I could probably use double the power, but I don't feel like spending ~$600 for a new motherboard/CPU/RAM combo right now.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  30. Wyodiver

Wyodiver [H]ard|Gawd

Everybody seems to have a 6/12 Xeon. I'm stuck with an X5672 4/8.

BTW, I have 6 x 2GB ECC for sale.

31. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Limp Gawd

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  32. primetime

Oh you rocking 24 threads right? More of a side grade for you guys....I wouldn't be in a rush either lol

Mazzspeed and Big_Rig_Stig like this.
  33. Shinjerk

Shinjerk n00bie

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has ever had any issues getting a W3680 to run on a GA-EX58-UD3R (rev. 1.6) on latest bios ver "FK"? I recently bought this chip from a Chinese seller on Ebay and have already had a replacement sent because the first wasn't working. Now the 2nd isn't working and I'm thinking maybe it's something I'm doing wrong.

Anyone have any advice? The computer is fully functional with my i7 920 atm but as soon as I put in the W3680 and try to boot I just get a black screen with no beeps.

Already tried it without my GPU and clearing CMOS. I've also inspected the chip contacts and all seem clean.

Someone on another forum said I should try swapping ram but it works perfectly fine with my i7 920 so not sure how that could be the issue. According to intel the W3680 supports more types of ram than the i7 920.

Any help/advice offered (before my blood pressure skyrockets and I start furiously google translating some Chinese swear words) would be much appreciated. :)

Please note I'm currently waiting on more thermal paste arriving so it may be a few days before I can try any suggestions (if there are any).

Thanks.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  34. primetime

Gosh i remember it seems like you can check your bios to see if it has the correct cpu microcode and i could swear people figured out a way to add them if a particular ones were missing.....the info is in this thread buried like a thousand pages back. I think someone will check in with actual direct experience and give you better guidance. (just be patient) Ill be trying to remember what program people were using to fix this

35. Big_Rig_Stig

Big_Rig_Stig Gawd

You could either install a streamlined Win7 or Linux variant to get that "feel" back. Or find a cheap x5670 & overclock.

36. Big_Rig_Stig

Big_Rig_Stig Gawd

Why not upgrade? I got my 5670 for $40 from Amazon.

37. Wyodiver

Wyodiver [H]ard|Gawd

Oh, I will, eventually. Probably an X5690.

38. Big_Rig_Stig

Big_Rig_Stig Gawd

Update: RAM & fans upgrade

Found some tri-channel RAM on Newegg for ~$100 for 12gigs, not too shabby, so I pulled the trigger (after crashing the fuck out of Ubuntu Live on 6gig with too many FF tabs open). I also had that side panel fan issue, where it was hitting the Evo212, and had ordered a new slimline fan.

So here we go:

Side panel, as it was:
    OCZeoLn.jpg

You can see how tight a fit with the standard fan:
    zvJaBCz.jpg

I had taped the filter in place until I could replace the fan:
    kBDHqdR.jpg

New slimline fan, 120mm (couldn't find any 140's), next to el cheapo fan:
    TxMQ3W2.jpg

Slimline in place, it's still hitting the heatpipes:
    zf9aykq.jpg NcZjRuQ.jpg

Side panel before the "field reformation":
    5XsrfAk.jpg rY4Zyn1.jpg

Side panel after, I used the top of the chair cushion like a sandbag, and went "tappity-tap-tap" with a little ball peen hammer. Just like body work ('cept ALOT shittier), I moved the fan mount points out 1/8-3/16", including the entire grill area:
    SEpH4ha.jpg

Fan installed:
    O34MQIT.jpg

Panel in place, now it clears:
    GX8vTKK.jpg sR8CgQO.jpg

To finish, I tossed in the RAM--color me surprised when I found out that the original stuff I put in was not only G.SKILL, but the exact same stuff as the Ripjaws (well, same timings and all, different capacities):
    Zn6tvKc.jpg

And, yeah: everything recognized fine.

Panel back on, unless you're looking really closely, you don't really notice the upset. All that really matters is the fan now works:
    goWPo1V.jpg

During all this, and up to the weekend, I had noticed some odd behavior when the machine would reboot--the BIOS splash screen kept coming on, major :WTF: moment. So, did a bit of checking, found that the BIOS battery is a CR2032, which is the same as my garage door openers, so I swiped one & put it in, and everything cleared right up. Not bad for a nearly 10-yo bios battery.

Got Ubuntu-MATE installed, Minecraft and Steam installed flawlessly, so now to evaluate both and see if I can live with it. :)

Edit: whoops, forgot to mention, picked up a Microsoft Designer 7N9-00001 Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. I won't use the mouse (Kensington wireless trackball FTMFW), and I prefer keyboards like this overall, and it felt good when I tried it in Fry's yesterday, so got a BT 4.0 dongle and such, got them home, the dongle is recognized by Ubuntu, but the kb won't pair. Gotta work that out now. :/

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018 at 9:45 PM
  39. CyrIng

CyrIng n00bie

If you run Linux, I would suggest you to try CoreFreq to check your DDR geometry and latencies for X58 QPI.
    Stress features also included to reach the highest turbo ratio per Core

Disable NMI Watchdog;
    insmod the Kernel driver with Experimental=1
    Start daemon in one term and cli in another.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  40. Big_Rig_Stig

Big_Rig_Stig Gawd

Um, d'ya mind spelling that out a bit, I'm as big a Lin00b as they make 'em... :(