1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Discussion in 'Intel Processors' started by primetime, May 30, 2014.

1. primetime

primetime [H]ardness Supreme

That and all the info thus far is that it effects data centers the most and barely anything for desktop usage

2. Jacob Xeon

Jacob Xeon n00bie

Help guys.. I just put a x5675 in my x58 evga classified mobo and it’s showing ff and not showing any video out. I have re seated the cpu and tried everything...

3. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

Does the bios support that chip? Didn't evga have a 2nd revision to their x58 boards because the first Rev didn't support 32nm?

4. Jacob Xeon

Jacob Xeon n00bie

I have the 760-a1 does that not work with zeon?

5. primetime

Depends on the revision....seems like EVGA was modding people's boards that was sold with older version.

6. Jacob Xeon

Jacob Xeon n00bie

I have a 760 a1 rev 1.0 :( I can’t find any of the mod tutorials because the kingpin site removed them. Anyone have the steps?

7. Gasaraki_

Gasaraki_ Gawd

I have been having this issue recently and I fixed it by taking out all the memory and putting them back in AND if this doesn't work try it again but switch the location of just a few sticks. I was able to get all my memory to show up in BIOS again.

8. Bill1024

Bill1024 [H]ard|Gawd

Feeling kind of sad, I sold my last x58 motherboard. Asus P6T Deluxe V2 w/E5645 and my EVGA Classified3 with a w3580 yesterday.
    I do have a couple Supermicro dual socket 1366 boards but they are not the same. I need the AVX and other modern instructions.
    So now I have, x79 and z97 and Z370. The i5-8600K hexcore no HT can do primegrid AVX work at 4.6ghz @ 1.260v <70c in 1/6th the time , and 4.7ghz,, non AVX 60c
    I am sure there is more in it taking my time going up.

9. CyrIng

CyrIng n00bie

With my venerable X58 setup I have programmed a processor monitoring software which shows Turbo Cores frequency , IPC, Pkg & C-States, Temps, SNB Voltages.... in RT. For example cpuid capabilities, Uncore, QPI, DDR cas & geometry...

[​IMG]

CoreFreq is open source into the GitHub http://github.com/cyring/CoreFreq

A ready to play Live CD can be downloaded from Wiki http://github.com/cyring/CoreFreq/wiki/Live-CD

I will appreciate any screenshot results of other X58 platforms to help my development progress

CyrIng

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  10. primetime

Anyone here had any issues with windows 10 and updates? I ran into issues with using the insider builds would always fail...So i figured lets just do the offical builds...And dang if windows update still has issues, but im sure its the one that was supposed to fix the spectre/meltdown stuff....Now i know why i havent wasted doing clean installs in years since it apparently doesn't really help lol

Attached Files:

11. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Limp Gawd

Very cool. I'm looking to get my Sabertooth X58 and X5675 setup up and going again this weekend. Will definitely give this a try.

12. CyrIng

CyrIng n00bie

Great ! Can't wait too see your results.

Btw, in GitHub or in Live CD, the corefreq_online_update command will fetch the last stressing functions. Go to the Tools sub menu.

Enjoy

13. kirbyrj

I just started having issues with the latest Windows Defender. It just won't install. Everything else seems to work ok though.

14. primetime

thanks.....shit i guess it sorted itself out at some point on my end.....shows fully updated now. InSpectre shows my setup as meltdown protected but spectre is still vulnerable. Just a random check with cinebench doesn't show any performance loss, so that parts good. Are we all still waiting for spectre fixes?

Attached Files:

15. diceman2037

diceman2037 n00bie

just disable meltdown protection, our cpu's can't do it well, and its not even a real concern for end users.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  16. Big_Rig_Stig

Big_Rig_Stig Gawd

I wanna join the club... Imma gonna join the club soon, which means I needs infos. ;)

First off, I've got a 2009-vintage Asus P6T Deluxe, with an i7-920 stabbed into it, and 6gb tri-channel. X58, of course. I just pulled the trigger on a 2tb ssd, and in that discussion thread it has been suggested I go with either a W3680 or an X5670. My little bit of research, and desire for fiscal cheapness, has me leaning towards the 5670; but I welcome any suggestions.

Also, I understand that my mobo will need a BIOS upgrade: suggestions on what revision and where to get it?

Thanks in advance...

17. Bill1024

Bill1024 [H]ard|Gawd

Just get the latest BIOS right from Asus website https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P6T_Deluxe/HelpDesk_BIOS/

I would go with the w3680, x5660 or x5675 myself
    The w series are unlocked multiplier and are not limited to the 10 memory multiplier.
    The x5660 will give you the 23 multiplier and 200 x 23 is 4.6. The average OC is 4.0-4.4ghz before needing a lot of voltage and generating a lot of heat.
    X5675 is the 25 x multiplier, I myself like odd multipliers, I have had issued with even multipliers, maybe it was just the boards that I had.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  18. Big_Rig_Stig

Big_Rig_Stig Gawd

Awesome, thanks.

I've pulled the trigger on a 5670 for $42 thru Amazon, I think this'll do pretty well. It should clock well with the Hyper 212 cooler I've ordered, shouldn't it?

Next post: the installation...

19. Bill1024

Bill1024 [H]ard|Gawd

You can do 4ghz on air and still have decent temps. I did it with the crappy OEM pipe cooler that came with the 980x CPUs.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  20. Big_Rig_Stig

Big_Rig_Stig Gawd

I snagged a Hyper 212 for just that job; and, when I'm done with it, it'll be a chilly cooler. :cool:

21. Big_Rig_Stig

Big_Rig_Stig Gawd

Oi, forgot to ask: what benchmarks would y'all recommend? I also got the 2TB Micron 1100 SSD from that thread, and it's going in first this weekend, and I'd like to get before & after readings; then rinse/repeat with the processor.

22. Brackle

Brackle Old Timer

Depends what you want to see for benchmarks. Cinebench, wprime, Blender, Hyper PI. You will be shocked at the performance. @ 4.4-4.6ghz they really do start to shine. I don't even worry about voltage since the CPU's are dirt cheap.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  23. kirbyrj

I use that cooler on my X5660 and it works fine at 4.2Ghz with zero issues.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  24. Big_Rig_Stig

Big_Rig_Stig Gawd

I want to bench the disk setups, WD Black vs. Micron SSD--I know, the ssd will whip up on the WD, but it'll be a fun thing to see.

Next will be the CPUs, stock 920 vs stock 5670 vs oc'd 5670. Since I'm not doing the vidcard yet, that bench won't be necessary.

I guess the only other worry will be the RAM, it's almost 10 years old, and I can't remember what kind it is.

25. RC-Heli-3D

RC-Heli-3D Limp Gawd

Anyone with I/O shield for Sabertooth X58? Intel 1366 socket? I still have mine working like a charm!

26. Wyodiver

Wyodiver [H]ard|Gawd

Hi all. I have three Dell T3500 X58 boards with bent pins. If you want them, they are yours.

27. Susquehannock

Susquehannock 2[H]4U

You got PM.

28. ewb302

ewb302 Gawd

I was helping my brother put a quick combo together with some spare parts today, but we were having trouble. It's a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard, X5660 cpu, and 6 x 2GB G.Skill DDR3 ram. With 3 sticks of ram installed in tri-channel it posts and operates fine. As soon as we populate the second set of ram slots, it will not post. All sticks pass memtest, but I'm not sure that means that are perfect for certain. Either set of triple channel ram works fine as long as they are in the first three slots. All six stick are the same part number, and worked together previously.

CMOS has cleared so many times, optimized defaults loaded. Everything is set to stock.

I am still leaning toward a ram issue. Anything other than memtest we can do to figure out what might be going on? It's a really simple setup, so frustrating.

29. Reefa_Madness

Reefa_Madness Gawd

When you state that the ram works as long as "they are in the first three slots" could you be more specific? Are you referring to the three slots closest, or furthest from the CPU?

If you are referring to the ones furthest away as working and the closest ones not working, then take a peek at the first post in the thread linked below where it states "Edit: Our solution to the issue".

https://hardforum.com/threads/ram-problems-cooling-too-tight.1463560/

What cooler are you using and is it possible that you have over tightened it a tad? This is known to sometimes cause the loss of the memory channel closest to the CPU.

Perhaps you might want to try and re-seat the cooler and see if that helps.

ewb302 likes this.
  30. ewb302

ewb302 Gawd

When the ram is installed in tri-channel in the white slots (slots 1, 3, 5), it works well. These slots would be considered furthest from the CPU.

Interesting solution on that link, but unfortunately that's not going to be our solution I don't think. Have tried the stock cooler, as well as an H60. Also tried multiple cpu's to rule out the cpu itself. This same exact behavior has been shown with two separate X58A-UD3R motherboards now. The only constant is the ram sticks. But the ram passes memtest. Hate to throw money at an old rig, but I feel like finding some different ram may be the next step.

31. systemvipers

systemvipers Limp Gawd

Hello, Just want to say hi!, I am getting ready for some 775 and x58 fun.

I have some nice X58 chips, a rampage extreme II, Gig UD5 and i have my eye on 1 or 2 more boards for this run.
    Probably won't start overclocking for a while but i am starting to build the rigs out.

I used to be up to date on this hardware but some years have passed.

So to get the ball rolling, what is the best OS to overclock these beasts and is there a bare bonz version of it?
    I appreciate any help or advice, i would be nice to get up to speed quickly. full speed ahead....

thanks
    steve

32. Reefa_Madness

Reefa_Madness Gawd

Have you tried testing each of the individual slots one at a time with a single module? The odds that all 6 sticks are faulty has to be pretty high so if you tested one at a time (the slots as well as the ram) you should be able to determine if it is the motherboard or the ram.

33. Batboy88

Batboy88 Limp Gawd

yeah try see if it will boot with like one dim in the first slot trying sticks. or idk or could try the speaker thing and beeps, might might not...

34. ewb302

ewb302 Gawd

We did try one stick at a time in slot 1. All sticks post and boot just fine when installed individually. I thought the problem was the motherboard, but a second identical board has the same exact issue.

35. ewb302

ewb302 Gawd

Intersting update. It just posted with all 6 sticks when ram voltage is set to 1.6. Default voltage is 1.5. All other settings are default.

36. kirbyrj

I overclocked to 4Ghz+ in both Windows 7 and 10. My Plex server is running at 4ghz on a x5660 on Windows 10 Pro. I run O&O shutup 10 to stop the telemetry.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  37. Batboy88

Batboy88 Limp Gawd

the rampage ..started doing that shit a few times...swapping and mixing sticks...idk got bent pins both like the first slot and cpu pins...I did get it to boot in like the 2nd and the back two I think. then idk swapped out and tried to see if it would boot with another chip..then couldn't get it to boot again, fail.

38. diceman2037

diceman2037 n00bie

Gigabyte boards are junk, always.

the voltages on them are nearly always out of spec.

39. Batboy88

Batboy88 Limp Gawd

I don't know...talking olddd board stuff start going out of spec and everything baddd caps etc.

40. kirbyrj

You do know that Gigabyte (and virtually all the major manufacturers) use solid capacitors that are rated for something like 50,000 hours.

Let me put it in a way you'll understand...

The cappps aren'ttt baddd