1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

If anyone is interested, here is a comparison between various controllers, SSDs running on my X58 system.

The LSI also has lower access latency and CPU usage.

Capture-1.jpg~original

I just noticed that the 12*8GB memory I got with the SR-2 in the packade deal are not all of the same brand and model.

Half of it is Hyundai and half of it is Samsung, perhaps the Hyundai modules use Samsung chips?
I think I will remove the Hyundai modules before I overclock this system.

memorymixedmodules.jpg

Last edited:
I just noticed that the 12*8GB memory I got with the SR-2 in the packade deal are not all of the same brand and model.

Half of it is Hyundai and half of it is Samsung, perhaps the Hyundai modules use Samsung chips?
I think I will remove the Hyundai modules before I overclock this system.

memorymixedmodules.jpg

Who cares, specs are the same. Try the OC before you remove anything.

Well primetime and you guys certainly have given me something to think about here. I'd done very little in the ways of upgrading my four year old plus i7 D0 and Asus P6x58d-e set up. But that damn ebay price on the 5650 is almost too much of a steal to pass by. Looks like most guys in here are going for the 5670. But I'm very cheap as proven by the fact I'm still riding the 920. Thing is the second and third generation i7's are little more than a sidegrade with me being OC'd to 4Ghz.
From the looks of things look like I'd stand a pretty decent shot at 4.2Ghz which with the extra 2 cores would be adequate for me.
I'll report back if and when I join the club officially. :)

Whoa, primetime, I didn't know you started a 1366 overclock club, lol. I'm a month and a half late here, but I am running my x5650 at 4.2ghz (190x22) HT on and all cores active.

@GonzoP, you will get a VERY noticeable difference from your 920, nearly night and day (not quite, but considering the low prices it is practically night and day). I went from a 4ghz 930, and still can not believe the difference. This Xeon feels better than my 4ghz 930 when it is at stock settings, no kidding. It feels like a new system, for now anyway lol. My F@H has taken a fantastic hit and my Gflops went from 65 to 83 using IBT. 201 gflops on AIDA64 as well... You can sell you 920 for practically what it now costs for the x5650, so not doing it is insane. lol

Quoting from the above overclock.net link from Kana-Maru page 125 of the thread post #1242:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwarr

i was wondering is it worth upgrading to these xeons? i have a i7 930 at 4.2 and i'm not entirely sure if it would be a nice small upgrade for me in terms of performance? the x5650s are really cheap and i don't think i'll lose much but still, would like some advice.

I know that this topic is huge and it's hard to go through all of the pages for advice and results etc. On the first page I've compared my results from my i7-960 from 3.8Ghz - 4.2Ghz vs my X5660. I have personally seen huge gains across the board. The X5650 is the best bang for your buck right now and I would definitely say that it's worth the upgrade. The X5650 is exactly the same as the X5660 EXCEPT the X5650 is missing one measly multiplier. X5650 = 23x - X5660 = 24x. Nothing major since nearly all X5650 users are hitting 4Ghz - 4.4Ghz rather easily. Now I'm seeing X5650 users hit 4.6Ghz and 4.7-4.8Ghz just like my X5660.

Gaming wise the Hex cores makes your GPUs match X79 GPUs with similar setups. For example I'll use my Crysis 3 expereience....my GTX 670 2-way SLI + i7-960 @ 4.1Ghz was only showing 25fps - 35fps. Sometimes it would dip to 20fps and spike to 40fps randomly. It was very choppy and unplayable at 1080p+Very High+MSAAx8 [100% maxed out]. Several benchmarking sites showed 2 way SLI GTX 670s getting around 50fps-55fps @ 1080p maxed out, but I wasn't even close. When I installed my Xeon L5639 and later my Xeon X5660....AT STOCK I gained a much better experience. No stuttering and no choppy gameplay. The frame times + rates were great. I've also posted my results for this on the first page as well. Overclocking the CPU only made this better and increased my fps increase while my frame time decreased! The i7-960 was pretty much bottlenecking from my experience. The Hex cores solved that problem and allowed more overhead.

Unless you want to upgrade and spend a nice amount of chase on the X79 $550 Hex cores which are pretty 10% faster than the X58 Hex cores be my guest. I'm glad I took a chance and purchased my Hexa core on the X58. I can only recommend that you should upgrade while they are still available. Trust me you will not regret man. . Make sure your board will support the Hex core. Some boards require a BIOS update and other don't.

I would like to mention that not all boards are proving the 23x multiplier on the x5650. The rampage III is only giving us the 22x, but it will not accept the 21 or 23 multi unless you drop it down to 1 or 2 cores. In other words the 23x on my R3E does NOT do 23x for all 6 cores, it only does 12-20 and 22 for all 6 cores. I have seen MANY others with the exact same results. It even tells you this in AIDA64 that the 23x turbo multiplier can only be used on 1 or 2 cores in a non threaded app.

No amount of fiddling with my BIOS has let me enable the 23x multi as of yet. However, it runs amazingly well on the 22 multi at a low 1.26v and low 30C temps. It has ran all the way up to 200x22 without needing to go over 1.35v, however when I went to 205x22 I had to break the 1.35v safety barrier, which for me is not worth doing.

So, moral of the story is 23x on the 5650 is a hit and miss affair. And I know others that can't even get the 22 multi to stick even on good platforms.

EDIT: And I am talking specifically about the B1 chip.

Whoa, primetime, I didn't know you started a 1366 overclock club, lol. I'm a month and a half late here, but I am running my x5650 at 4.2ghz (190x22) HT on and all cores active.

@GonzoP, you will get a VERY noticeable difference from your 920, nearly night and day (not quite, but considering the low prices it is practically night and day). I went from a 4ghz 930, and still can not believe the difference. This Xeon feels better than my 4ghz 930 when it is at stock settings, no kidding. It feels like a new system, for now anyway lol. My F@H has taken a fantastic hit and my Gflops went from 65 to 83 using IBT. 201 gflops on AIDA64 as well... You can sell you 920 for practically what it now costs for the x5650, so not doing it is insane. lol
That's good news. Almost surprising to hear. I did a quick search on ebay and sadly I don't think I'd get more than $40 for my i7 but selling it is not my concern.
I would like to mention that not all boards are proving the 23x multiplier on the x5650. The rampage III is only giving us the 22x, but it will not accept the 21 or 23 multi unless you drop it down to 1 or 2 cores. In other words the 23x on my R3E does NOT do 23x for all 6 cores, it only does 12-20 and 22 for all 6 cores. I have seen MANY others with the exact same results. It even tells you this in AIDA64 that the 23x turbo multiplier can only be used on 1 or 2 cores in a non threaded app.

No amount of fiddling with my BIOS has let me enable the 23x multi as of yet. However, it runs amazingly well on the 22 multi at a low 1.26v and low 30C temps. It has ran all the way up to 200x22 without needing to go over 1.35v, however when I went to 205x22 I had to break the 1.35v safety barrier, which for me is not worth doing.

So, moral of the story is 23x on the 5650 is a hit and miss affair. And I know others that can't even get the 22 multi to stick even on good platforms.

EDIT: And I am talking specifically about the B1 chip.

Now this is interesting, I remember back when I get my 920 everything I read said to use the 21 or 19 multiplier but not the 20. Something about the odds were good and then even's weren't. So if I get the 5650 I might or might not have a 23x or even a 22x. And you said the 21x is iffy as well. Hmmm.
As I mentioned above I have a lot of the parts from 2010 that includes the ram. Its just G.Skill 1333 actually. Now I have tested it and I can do a BCLK of 205 with the 8x for 1640 no problem but around 210 things start getting difficult. So while I'd be fine running 200x21 it sounds like maybe that's not even an option for me with all 6 cores? Well then I'm back to where I am now at 4Ghz with just 4 cores.

That's good news. Almost surprising to hear. I did a quick search on ebay and sadly I don't think I'd get more than $40 for my i7 but selling it is not my concern.

Now this is interesting, I remember back when I get my 920 everything I read said to use the 21 or 19 multiplier but not the 20. Something about the odds were good and then even's weren't. So if I get the 5650 I might or might not have a 23x or even a 22x. And you said the 21x is iffy as well. Hmmm.
As I mentioned above I have a lot of the parts from 2010 that includes the ram. Its just G.Skill 1333 actually. Now I have tested it and I can do a BCLK of 205 with the 8x for 1640 no problem but around 210 things start getting difficult. So while I'd be fine running 200x21 it sounds like maybe that's not even an option for me with all 6 cores? Well then I'm back to where I am now at 4Ghz with just 4 cores.
Yeah 22 will be easy if your willing to spend the voltage. My CPU does it at 1.26 (maybe even lower), but a friend of mine has to go over 1.35v to get his 22 multi to be stable. I know others who have 23x multi, but I do not know if its on all 6 cores or not. I know I can't get the 23x multi to take to save my life, nor the 21 for that matter. When I type 21 or 23 into my bios it just instantly changes itself to 22. I flashed BIOS after BIOS with the same result and I tried both my BIOS chips, and nothing changes. It appears to be a CPU controlled thing. With that said, I have NOT tried turning off HT yet, mainly because I have not yet decided if I want to lose HT. In my AIDA64, it clearly says the x5650 can only enable 23x multi on the first and second cores. I can provide a screenshot if ya want of that info?

If you want the x5650 consider that 200x20 is probably a definite yes (it works great for me), but anything higher is a hit and miss. Also keep in mind that 200x20 on the x5650 blows away the 4.2ghz on your 920, lol...

A small development here.

After installing my OS on a Raid 0 array with the LSI card my overclock is no longer stable. I'm also having issues with the LSI cards firmware not initialising when I boot my PC, I have to do a CTRL ALT DEL to get it to work sometimes :(

I'm running @ stock clocks for the time being until I'm sure that it is stable with this hardware configuration, then I'll go back and attempt overclocking again.

On the plus side, I'm seeing 1GB/s disk read/write speeds which is phenomenal :D

Yeah 22 will be easy if your willing to spend the voltage. My CPU does it at 1.26 (maybe even lower), but a friend of mine has to go over 1.35v to get his 22 multi to be stable. I know others who have 23x multi, but I do not know if its on all 6 cores or not. I know I can't get the 23x multi to take to save my life, nor the 21 for that matter. When I type 21 or 23 into my bios it just instantly changes itself to 22. I flashed BIOS after BIOS with the same result and I tried both my BIOS chips, and nothing changes. It appears to be a CPU controlled thing. With that said, I have NOT tried turning off HT yet, mainly because I have not yet decided if I want to lose HT. In my AIDA64, it clearly says the x5650 can only enable 23x multi on the first and second cores. I can provide a screenshot if ya want of that info?

If you want the x5650 consider that 200x20 is probably a definite yes (it works great for me), but anything higher is a hit and miss. Also keep in mind that 200x20 on the x5650 blows away the 4.2ghz on your 920, lol...
Oh ok. I misread the 22 being there I guess yeah that's fine. And no I'm not at 4.2 I'm just at 4 with my 920. Even though its a D0 its voltage hungry once I get over 3.8. I need 1.2625v for 3.8 to be 100% rock solid and 4Ghz isn't 100% stable with less than 1.33v. For 4.2 I was over 1.425v and that was not to my liking so I settled on 4Ghz and to be honest during the summer I often throttle down to 3.8 just to keep temps cooler. I have the original Hyper 212 as my HSF. Good enough for a 4Ghz OC but its not a D14 so I never really maxed this baby out to the gills.
Yeah if I could pull a 200x20 that'd be OK. At this point for the first time in a long time the upgrade bug has bit me. As much as the xeon would help where I'm really itching to upgrade is my gpu. There is a miner in my town who is a huge presence on ebay. I'm trying to convince me to give me a pair of 7950's for $200. That would be a massive difference from my lone 7870.
To be honest the best and frankly only other upgrade I've made to this rig since 2010 is the SSD.
Thanks again for the knowledge

Oh ok. I misread the 22 being there I guess yeah that's fine. And no I'm not at 4.2 I'm just at 4 with my 920. Even though its a D0 its voltage hungry once I get over 3.8. I need 1.2625v for 3.8 to be 100% rock solid and 4Ghz isn't 100% stable with less than 1.33v. For 4.2 I was over 1.425v and that was not to my liking so I settled on 4Ghz and to be honest during the summer I often throttle down to 3.8 just to keep temps cooler. I have the original Hyper 212 as my HSF. Good enough for a 4Ghz OC but its not a D14 so I never really maxed this baby out to the gills.
Yeah if I could pull a 200x20 that'd be OK. At this point for the first time in a long time the upgrade bug has bit me. As much as the xeon would help where I'm really itching to upgrade is my gpu. There is a miner in my town who is a huge presence on ebay. I'm trying to convince me to give me a pair of 7950's for $200. That would be a massive difference from my lone 7870.
To be honest the best and frankly only other upgrade I've made to this rig since 2010 is the SSD.
Thanks again for the knowledge
Well, look at it this way, do you want or need the extra newer technology that x79 or x99 will bring you? Can you afford paying the premium for x79 for only a 10% of that increase in performance? Or the 30-50% x99 will bring you? If your only interest is gaming, just upgrade to a x series Xeon, overclock it and use the massive savings for Gpu spending, lol... I think Kana Maru has pretty much proven the x58 is still fine for gaming needs, but if your nmeeding the absolute fastest newest technology, x58 is far behind now imo. I'm personally not going to upgrade until Skylake-E and its new chipset, if it is even real. Mainly because I can not afford to do so until 2016 or 2017 at earliest.

A small development here.

After installing my OS on a Raid 0 array with the LSI card my overclock is no longer stable. I'm also having issues with the LSI cards firmware not initialising when I boot my PC, I have to do a CTRL ALT DEL to get it to work sometimes :(

I'm running @ stock clocks for the time being until I'm sure that it is stable with this hardware configuration, then I'll go back and attempt overclocking again.

On the plus side, I'm seeing 1GB/s disk read/write speeds which is phenomenal :D

Did you try raising any of the related PCIe voltages any?

Did you try raising any of the related PCIe voltages any?

Hell yeah I did. I don't think my system can cope with a BCLK of 200. I have long suspected this but my system was stable for the most part so I wasn't particularly worried but installing the LSI card seems to have made it substantially worse.

I'm testing it at 24x170 (4.08Ghz) which seems pretty solid, I'm happy to trade off some clock speed to use the LSI card because it makes a much bigger difference in responsiveness. It feels way faster now at this speed than it ever did at 4.4Ghz.

One good thing about this OC is that it is fairly safe and requires minimal voltage bump on the vcore (1.26v) everything else can be left alone. I've bumped the memory volts to 1.6V and relaxed it to 2T.

It's not without it's problems though, like I mentioned, the card doesn't initialize sometimes, I also noticed that running 2 seperate RAID 0 arrays (2 disks each) seems to cripple the performance, I have no idea why at this stage so I'm just running 2 disks in RAID 0 for now.

I'm going to try to remove the option rom, I don't need it now that the array is configured and it may help with my boot issues.

I would like to see someone make a youtube video of one of Xeon running a current game..

I have a few uploading and will update this as they finish....I used fraps to record in full 1080p at 30fps. I had to turn off all afterburner osd's as they would show cpu usage and various things but bf4 crashes with both fraps and rivatuner osd running, so all you get is frame rate reported from the game.

I doubt fraps is the best for recording in game footage and it certainly is NOT very multi threaded as it seemed to use only one core so i lost quite a bit of performance compared to just playing without recording.....my usual fps in bf4 with all settings maxed and 2xaa gives me avge 75fps.

http://youtu.be/WyZfYC5Qrsk
http://youtu.be/ZghO55qhG68
http://youtu.be/vGirfmJO-m4

Last edited:
Picked up an X5650.

Hoping to have better luck then I did with the L5639 chip on my board.

What are some good settings to aim for? I'm hoping for 3.6 GHz +.

Anyone got some screenies of their BIOS settings to start out with? :D

Picked up an X5650.

4 ghz should be easy money:)

Actually discovered why fraps was boging down the fps......in the task manager it was set to use only one core by default.....i changed it to use all and there was very little performance loss making recording then...just goes to show this cpu does have the power to what we need....i can record full 1080p at 60fps at max detail anytime i want now...pretty cool:)

Picked up an X5650.

Try and get your BCLK to 200 - drop your CPU multiplier and run it near stock, set your QPI link to the lowest possible setting but don't use "slow mode" because it really is "slow mode", set your memory speed to the rated spec (but don't go over 1600) and set UCLK to double the memory speed (1603 mem, UCLK 3206), don't touch any voltages and see if it can cope before overclocking the CPU.

I try and keep my ram near spec to avoid having to test ram for stability as well, mem speeds above 1600 won't make a great deal of difference so its not worth going above that for the additional heat produced.

Good luck.

4 ghz should be easy money:)

I dunno man, my board refused to OC the L5639 even at like 134 MHz BCLK. Just flat out would keep restarting then say OC failed.

I'm hoping it was just because the chip was such an oddball.

I know, it likes my i7 920 fine. I'm hoping since they're the same multiplier and such, it should be easy work to get it up and running.

Messing around last night, and all I can get out of my L5639 is 3.6. I have no multi options on my board save a few, and 18 is as high as it goes.

Messing around last night, and all I can get out of my L5639 is 3.6. I have no multi options on my board save a few, and 18 is as high as it goes.

The Sabertooth should be able to reach a higher BCLK than 200 but perhaps the CPU is holding the board back.

The Sabertooth should be able to reach a higher BCLK than 200 but perhaps the CPU is holding the board back.

Yeah I can boot and post 215, but the machine gets wonky after that. CPU limit. Shit 6 cores @3.6 is good for me. :D

Excited to see so many new club members. It looks like I'll be delayed for a few days myself. I ended up scoring a killer deal on a 7970 that I could not pass up [$120]. I know primetime was trying to get me to bite on a 290 but there was too much value here. Plus he's the local guy so there was no shipping and I had the card in my PC within an hour of PayPal-ing the $$.
That and I decided to upgrade my case as well and I figure I'd wait till the case arrived to get the xeon so I only have to do one motherboard swap as with my heatsink its a bit of a chore taking the mobo out and all. But rest assured I'm watching and learning from you guys.

Excited to see so many new club members. It looks like I'll be delayed for a few days myself. I ended up scoring a killer deal on a 7970 that I could not pass up [$120]. I know primetime was trying to get me to bite on a 290 but there was too much value here. Plus he's the local guy so there was no shipping and I had the card in my PC within an hour of PayPal-ing the $$.
That and I decided to upgrade my case as well and I figure I'd wait till the case arrived to get the xeon so I only have to do one motherboard swap as with my heatsink its a bit of a chore taking the mobo out and all. But rest assured I'm watching and learning from you guys.

Thats a heck of a good deal on a 7970....guess im lucky i don't have to pull my motherboard just to swap cpus....course if i were changing the heat sink...then i might have to

Once i learned how to use the AMD dvr in "AMD Gaming Evolved" i was able to make some better videos of this cpu in action

http://youtu.be/zJFDEsZSGHg actually not very far from normal performance...maybe a 10% loss...course running mantle keeps lowest fps much higher than this video

Thats a heck of a good deal on a 7970....guess im lucky i don't have to pull my motherboard just to swap cpus....course if i were changing the heat sink...then i might have to

Yeah I literally could not pass this deal buy. He has some on Buy It Now for $150. But he hooked me up nice and proper since I was local. He's got a few more actually and I told him in a few weeks I might hit him up again.
My back plate always seems to slip off if I unscrew the heatsink. Besides it will have to come out when I move cases anyway so that's when I'll make the move to the xeon.

I jumped from 7950 boost to 290 and I was a heck of an upgrade..but I sold it for bitcoin profit and now i'm back to the R9-280 which if I score a deal on ebay I will be crossfiring 280 and 7950 or 7970.

Well I have started taking the steps necessary to join the club:D. I have one of the first Rev.1 A1 EVGA X58 SLI boards so after talking with EVGA, I am sending it back to them for modification (original owner so no charge). Apparently the early Evga X58's need a physical mod in order to play nice with the hex cores. My i7 920 c0 maxes out at 3.8ghz without getting extremely power hungry so I am hoping a 5660/5670 north of 4ghz will give me a decent bump in performance. Regardless I am looking forward to tinkering with it :D

primetime
I saw your screenshot of your 3dmark sky diver score over in that thread. Mind posting the compare url for me to see. I see we're both sporting 7970's. It appears I edge you out in graphics probably due to a fractionally bigger gpu OC but I see I'm almost 50% behind you in physics. This obviously makes sense and hints at the very linear scaling of adding the extra two cores from the xeon compared to my i7.
Gives me a real good idea what to expect when I jump ship.
Also primetime do you have a FireStrike score as well. [Just the regular one not extreme as I only have the free version myself] I'm at around 76xx. Graphics 86xx and physics just over 10K. I'm guessing that puts your physics around 15K and probably an overall score in the low 9xxx's? I'm on my phone now so no url links from me at this time.
Appreciate it.
I'm going to have a hard time deciding which is the great bang for my buck. This $120 7970 I just got or the $68 xeon 5650 I'm likely to get.
BTW, it is confirmed by a friend of mine running the x58 sabertooth that the ebayer who has Buy It Now xeon 5650's for $74 is accepting $68 as an offer price. This guy was the one, along with you guys in here who got me back into upgrade mode. He had a older i7 920 a C0 running 3.6. He's at 4Ghz on his 5650. He said he's running 200x20 and hasn't even tried to see if the 21 or 22x multi are available to him on his board. Sadly my friend is only on the forums at Anand's and Tom's. I tried to get him here to join this club but he's happy where he is.
I guess myself and any other x58 xeon fence sitters are out of excuses for not upgrading...$68...ridiculous

Thanks prime.
Thought your Firestrike might have been higher but whatever its a synthetic.

Hey for the group. When my mobo first came out the ram limit was 24gb mostly because 4gb was the biggest stick out there. I've read a little bit about x58 mobos running 8gb sticks even if its not officially supported. Anybody doing this? Right now I've got all 6 of my banks filled with 2GB sticks and I think it makes dialing in a higher BCLK and subsequently the ram speed a little tougher than if I only had 2-3 banks filled.

Thanks prime.
Thought your Firestrike might have been higher but whatever its a synthetic.

Hey for the group. When my mobo first came out the ram limit was 24gb mostly because 4gb was the biggest stick out there. I've read a little bit about x58 mobos running 8gb sticks even if its not officially supported. Anybody doing this? Right now I've got all 6 of my banks filled with 2GB sticks and I think it makes dialing in a higher BCLK and subsequently the ram speed a little tougher than if I only had 2-3 banks filled.

Previous page (or maybe 2 back) I'm running 48GB here no problem.

I'm super tempted to get another X58 board, it's the only piece I need to build another X58 based system. I'm considering using it with the quad Xeon I have lying around to replace the aging servers I have at work, consolidate them in to a single box with Hyper-V.

I've got my eye on the Rampage III for my own system, anyone think of a reason not to go there?

Previous page (or maybe 2 back) I'm running 48GB here no problem.
Sweet thanks and yes I see it in your sig as well.
I'm super tempted to get another X58 board, it's the only piece I need to build another X58 based system. I'm considering using it with the quad Xeon I have lying around to replace the aging servers I have at work, consolidate them in to a single box with Hyper-V.

I've got my eye on the Rampage III for my own system, anyone think of a reason not to go there?

Do it man. Only problem is those x58's a pretty pricey since the demand exceeds the supply. Tough to find a RampageIII less than $250

Back