1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

5680 is an engineering sample just found out, im hesistant about those. Not sure what the ES's did or did not have on the xeon product lineup

Edit**

Just found some differences, not sure if lack of turbo might cause overclock instability on the chip or not.

Main Release
Engineering Sample

Please read the thread. All of these questions are answered. The fact that you're asking about 4.8GHz as a 24/7 overclock speaks to the fact that you didn't even skim the important parts.

The X5677 ES I have cannot overclock higher than 4.2Ghz even after a delid and copious amounts of voltage on a custom loop. The X5670 I got to replace it can do 4.4Ghz on less voltage than the X5677 at 4.2.

Avoid engineering samples if at all possible.

Thanks, thats what I figured.

Zoson, I have been slowly working through this thread's 35 pages. as well at the 30+ pages over at overclockers. Just trying to get opinions from those who have worked with it.

Ill try and finish this thread tonight

Slightly off topic but I just nabbed a X5870 and want to upgrade my RAM. I see several people with X58 boards are running over 24gb, which I didn't know was supported. Does anyone know if a P6T-SE will handle 8gb DIMMs with the Xeon?

Slightly off topic but I just nabbed a X5870 and want to upgrade my RAM. I see several people with X58 boards are running over 24gb, which I didn't know was supported. Does anyone know if a P6T-SE will handle 8gb DIMMs with the Xeon?

An honest question? Would you ever use that much ram? I used to think heck maybe i use it for a ram disk.....until games like bf4 came out and need about 50 gigs of space......hey i do see the appeal cause im a geek like the next guy...but is there a benefit? Maybe for what your doing idk...for me an ssd seemed more cost effective.....Im not nocking you by any means just wondering cause maybe you just trying to use 3 slots and maybe better overclock.....its possible;)

The Xeon runs with up to 288 GB of ram according to ARK. So theoretically, 8GB sticks would be easy for a Xeon I would think. I would definitely use 48GB, as most of that would be one heck of a fast RAM DISK, lol.

run the ramdisk as a cache in front of... anything.

Yeah that is almost big enough to install all your most used programs to. Except for maybe more than one modern game or so. Id install all the browsers to it, a game or two, and move the Windows temp folder to it. Then set the ram disk to take periodic images during idle times, and on shutdown have it update the image, and have that image set to your fastest ssd. Since I rarely shut down I wouldn't have to worry about that too much. haha. Instant everything. lol

I have 48GB but now that I have it I can't see a point to it. I have tried using it as a ram disk but I can hardly tell the difference between the ram disk and an SSD, the only exception is games but even still, the latest games, especially sandbox games, don't load beyond the first screen, they just work end to end with no loading. Games with long loading times are just badly optimised and usually run awful as well (GTA IV comes to mind specifically where if you enable v-sync load times are 10 times longer).

I'm personally going to "down grade" to 3 super fast 8GB modules and I'll put the 48GB in the new server build I'm working on. 24 GB is plenty.

ok, ok.

last question.

I plan on using 24gb of ram, so the W3690 is an option at the same price-point as an X5680 on the eBay. So, what say you gentle-bots? can i trust the W3690 IMC to not shit the bed on 24GB of ram (Max Spec for that processor) or just go for the X5680. It seems the W3690s are very well binned and can handle some serious overclock potential.

Didn't we already go over the fact that you don't want an Engineering Sample?

Yes, im not looking at an engineering sample. But before i was looking at a 5675 vs 5680ES at same price point, now im looking at a W3690 vs X5680 (mainstream) at same price point.
So many choices.

I feel like I'd go for the 5675 out of all of those. It's a 2011 cpu vs a 2010 cpu, so there's at least one lithography revision in there. The x5675's comparable 130W part is the x5690.

Pulled the trigger, bought up an X5675. Here is hoping it arrives in good order and I can squeeze a good amount of juice out of it.

I feel like I'd go for the 5675 out of all of those. It's a 2011 cpu vs a 2010 cpu, so there's at least one lithography revision in there. The x5675's comparable 130W part is the x5690.

would have to agree........worst case scenario is 4.2 easy money......above that is possible with the right magic...so many factors and settings but even with that its a great cpu...it wont compete with the haswell e like zoson is getting but a hell of a lot cheaper;) and in most cases all you'l need for quite a while...well all jone zoson at some point but he always gets a 4 year head start on us...but thats fine since he can school us on how to teak it when were ready:D

Im really happy with my current Rampage II extreme board, thing has taken everything I can throw at it and more. It supports my current i7 920 build, OCd to 4.2ghz and 24gb of ram at @1900 mHz. Currently on a 240 radiator custom loop from xspc. I will be super happy if I can get this chip up to 4.5-4.6. 10% increase in clock speed, and then 50% increase in cores. NOM NOM

Im really happy with my current Rampage II extreme board, thing has taken everything I can throw at it and more. It supports my current i7 920 build, OCd to 4.2ghz and 24gb of ram at @1900 mHz. Currently on a 240 radiator custom loop from xspc. I will be super happy if I can get this chip up to 4.5-4.6. 10% increase in clock speed, and then 50% increase in cores. NOM NOM

YMMV of course but I got my 5650 to run 24/7 @ 4.61Ghz so I'd venture a guess that as long as you're willing to supply the voltage you stand a very decent chance at 4.5-4.6. IME after 4.2 every 100Mhz is a definite step up in terms of votlage and getting things dialed in right. Its kinda why so many settle in the 4.2-4.4 neighborhood. Its pure uphill after that.

I wonder which way these cpu's run strongest with or without turbo clock as I been running mine without turbo on 21x 200 = 4.2Ghz and may can go higher before I hit the wall on fsb ..

but Firestrike Physics Score is 14469 with that set up and I think I could hit 15,000 at 4.3Ghz..

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2752555

please report back with score and settings..

Just got my X5670 + P6T Deluxe up and running! I'll soon attempt ocing it towards my desired minimum of 4.2GHz. Hope I can hit more than that without going extreme on voltages. At stock the CPU seems to run really cool with temperatures ranging from 18C to 25C across all cores (my ambient is 20C lol). BIOS reported stock vcore is 1.034V.

Last edited:
Currently I'm at 4.2GHz (191 x 22) @ 1.23vcore and 1.23v vtt, RAM is at 763MHz (1526MHz effective). Haven't tried any hardcore stress testing yet, however, I can easily run Cinebench R15 and do stuff in Windows without BSODing. I'm positive I'm going to need more voltage as soon as I fire up IBT or Prime but it still seems like it's quite a nice chip. Temps stay in mid 50s while Cinebenching.

EDIT: Just tried 24x (24x175BLCK=4.2GHz) multi and the system acts strange here. If I run Cinebench or SuperPI, the CPU still stays at 22x multi for around ~10 seconds before it jumps to 24x and this degrades benchmark resuts. Once 22x multi is back the CPU switches to 4.2GHz under load in a split of a second. :confused:

Last edited:
Currently I'm at 4.2GHz (191 x 22) @ 1.23vcore and 1.23v vtt, RAM is at 763MHz (1526MHz effective). Haven't tried any hardcore stress testing yet, however, I can easily run Cinebench R15 and do stuff in Windows without BSODing. I'm positive I'm going to need more voltage as soon as I fire up IBT or Prime but it still seems like it's quite a nice chip. Temps stay in mid 50s while Cinebenching.

EDIT: Just tried 24x (24x175BLCK=4.2GHz) multi and the system acts strange here. If I run Cinebench or SuperPI, the CPU still stays at 22x multi for around ~10 seconds before it jumps to 24x and this degrades benchmark resuts. Once 22x multi is back the CPU switches to 4.2GHz under load in a split of a second. :confused:

22 is the multi for a 5670....24 is turbo for 2 cores or less.....some of the high end boards can lock in a higher multi like the asus re3 possibly.....but your cpu is acting as designed for 99% of the motherboards....they had a non official bios the could allow turbo all the time for the older cpus but its not compatible with the newer xeons....would have been nice though right......so with that said older games that use only one core it will turbo for the most part but multi threaded benchmarks will drop it back to 22 since of course its using all the cores......so everything is working the way it should

Thanks for the info primetime. My previous LGA1156 Core i7 870 2.93GHz chip would do 24x across 4 cores so I kind of expected the Xeon to be the same.

22 is the multi for a 5670....24 is turbo for 2 cores or less.....some of the high end boards can lock in a higher multi like the asus re3 possibly.....but your cpu is acting as designed for 99% of the motherboards....they had a non official bios the could allow turbo all the time for the older cpus but its not compatible with the newer xeons....would have been nice though right......so with that said older games that use only one core it will turbo for the most part but multi threaded benchmarks will drop it back to 22 since of course its using all the cores......so everything is working the way it should

This is wrong, X5670 can run at the 24x multiplier with all cores active and the 25x multi with two cores.

The P6T series motherboards throttle back to a non turbo multiplier (22x in this case) if the CPU uses more power than the TDP. This is not an issue on other boards.

This is wrong, X5670 can run at the 24x multiplier with all cores active and the 25x multi with two cores.

The P6T series motherboards throttle back to a non turbo multiplier (22x in this case) if the CPU uses more power than the TDP. This is not an issue on other boards.

i did say some boards its was possible didn't i? but i think your incorrect about the 25 multi as i have never seen that......can you show some links or screenshots showing that? when you said other i assume you meant the ASUS Rampage III Extreme?

I agree on 25x multi thing since I saw mine using it before I started overclocking. Currently my CPU seems to be IBT stable at 4.2GHz HT on (22x191Mhz) @ 1.28vcore and 1.25v vtt for 3x4GB 1530MHz RAM.

i did say some boards its was possible didn't i? but i think your incorrect about the 25 multi as i have never seen that......can you show some links or screenshots showing that? when you said other i assume you meant the ASUS Rampage III Extreme?

With other board I mean (as far as I know) every other board in the universe that can run the X56xx and supports overclocking. (except the Sabertooth, I think it suffers from the same problem as the P6T series?)
The function to disable that power limit throtteling exists in a bios for the P6T WS and its possible to crossflash this bios to other P6T series boards. There is also a "special bios" for the P6T Deluxe v1 made available on another forum, these are the only workarounds for the P6T series as far as I know.

Asus claims its a feature :)

Last edited:
lol then i rephrase my answer...25 is not possible on my board, but then again im perfectly happy where its at mainly since i don't use turbo with this chip, even though i did with my 5639 when i had it

As a matter of fact my board throttles so bad it just made sense to set it at 22 and not have any throttle at all.....the special bios your referring to is no secret but i doubt its compatible with xeon's.....but i have no complaints

i also find the (22x191) to be perfect as well since it allowed me to drop my voltages at lot compared to 200blck

lol then i rephrase my answer...25 is not possible on my board, but then again im perfectly happy where its at mainly since i don't use turbo with this chip, even though i did with my 5639 when i had it

As a matter of fact my board throttles so bad it just made sense to set it at 22 and not have any throttle at all.....the special bios your referring to is no secret but i doubt its compatible with xeon's.....but i have no complaints

i also find the (22x191) to be perfect as well since it allowed me to drop my voltages at lot compared to 200blck

Try the 21x multiplier, odd multipliers are often more stable.
With luck you will need less vcore for 21 x 200 compared to 22 x 191, at least this is true for my X5670.

And your board do allow for the 25x multiplier but you must activate C-states and turbo and only use two cores :)
You need also the 25x to be stable so if you try it at high bclk it will crash, pretty much only useful for running stock.

Last edited:
With luck you will need less vcore for 21 x 200 compared to 22 x 191, at least this is true for my X5670.

And your board do allow for the 25x multiplier but you must activate C-states and turbo and only use two cores :)
You need also the 25x to be stable so if you try it at high bclk it will crash, pretty much only useful for running stock.

hey i could be wrong, but when running at 4,2ghz it just seems like turbo just over complicates the hole thing.......when your at 3.6 or lower its one thing but having it rock solid at 4.2 makes me uninterested in turbo since for one it should require more voltage and what not and the main benefit i get from this chip is blueray shrinking which uses all the cores anyway, not to mention like i said as soon as the chip starts load balancing it will throttle anyway. Im just super happy a system as old as mine works as well as it does

last game i noticed turbo working was stalker since it uses only one core or what ever but it be useless with bf4 or anything new anyway

I am running it without turbo as I got it to almost 4.4Ghz but more like 4.35 and it hit 14880 in FS.. but fsb is starting to come apart around 209

This is inaccurate. Chips with an even top multiplier work better with even multipliers and chips with an odd top multiplier work better with odd multipliers.

So many people had i7 920's that they assumed all chips preferred odd multipliers.

This is also not true. Higher multiplier with lower BCLK will always require less voltage across the board, and I've proven this in the thread already.

This is inaccurate. Chips with an even top multiplier work better with even multipliers and chips with an odd top multiplier work better with odd multipliers.

So many people had i7 920's that they assumed all chips preferred odd multipliers.

This is also not true. Higher multiplier with lower BCLK will always require less voltage across the board, and I've proven this in the thread already.

To me it seems totally random.
I have CPUs with even top multiplier that works best at odd multipliers.
All in all 19x and 21x seems to be the multipliers i most often hit 4 GHz at the lowest vcore (but not always).

My system went down yesterday.....started out the morning and wouldn't wake from sleep and when turning it of and trying to turn it on it would power the system for about 4 seconds with fans spinning up and lights coming on and then shut off after about 4 seconds.

Had me thinking did i kill the motherboard, cpu or power supply? had me stumped for a while, actually most of the day. And what was the fix? A proper reset of the cmos and redoing the bios settings. before that the only way i could get it to boot was to hold the power button for like 10 seconds and it would make me go into bios saying overclock failed. Even putting it all back to stock settings it wouldn't work. I thought for sure my cpu was dead but i had to be sure.

Glad i kept on troubleshooting and did the cmos reset cause it is as good as new now. Moral to the story, its working great now and i think my days of shooting for higher clocks are behind me now....Rather have stability and reliability at 4.2 then to keep shooting for max clocks...I can't complain this system has far out done it self in longevity and reliability and it starts loosing value if i have to replace burned out or glitched parts.

I'm sorry to hear about your issues primetime. Glad that you got it back up.

I haven't pushed for anything more than my 3959 MHz. No issues to report. Most of the time in Windows it runs at around 2.5 GHz. Keeps it nice and cool. Been a great processor for my photo editing. Lightroom is so much faster with my RAW files.

It turns out my X5670 prefers odd multis. Switching from 4.2GHz 191x22 to 200x21 allows me to either clock 60MHz higher or drop the vcore a notch. I did the latter and now I need 1.27v (1.264v in CPU-Z) for an IBT stable 4.2GHz OC.

Back