1366 motherboard cooling question

I just picked up a SuperMicro X8DTE-F-B. I had intended to put a couple stock coolers on it, but it appears there's already a back plate with threaded holes. Does anyone know what sized thread these are?

It is the i7 ones I have yes, I didn't realize that it needed the threaded ones. I assumed it was an optional back plate like 212's.

I'd like to just pull out the snap locks in the i7 heatsinks and just out a spring and machine screw through it, instead of having to go and buy new heatsinks.

I got caught the same way with my 1st asus, I ended up buying the intel xeon heatsinks as i was in a hurry and didn't want to waste any more money trying to find the right ones. Be careful though - the one you have linked is only good for 80watt tdp cpu's, for 95w or greater you need the STS100C - either way they are not quiet. Dynatron also do a range of 1366 xeon coolers

Really Nathan? My sts100C were not bad at all running in my 650d

You might get away with drilling out the threads but that kills the boards resale.

I got caught the same way with my 1st asus, I ended up buying the intel xeon heatsinks as i was in a hurry and didn't want to waste any more money trying to find the right ones. Be careful though - the one you have linked is only good for 80watt tdp cpu's, for 95w or greater you need the STS100C - either way they are not quiet. Dynatron also do a range of 1366 xeon coolers

i guess i didn't mention that i only linked to that particular heatsink as a means of illustration or as an example of the screws/springs, i didn't look any further into it's specs

The threads are probably #6-32, but I no longer have one to verify.

Really Nathan? My sts100C were not bad at all running in my 650d

You might get away with drilling out the threads but that kills the boards resale.

Haven't tried the 100C's in the 650d yet but the 100a's can be quite noisy when it gets warm, that won't happen until hood becomes my daily driver and thats not happening for a while yet (unless something shiny and cheap catches my eye)

Back