12TB HDD's coming soon.

rkd29980

Limp Gawd
Seagate plans to release a batch of 12TB HDDs to ‘pilot customers’ this quarter. The information comes from Seagate’s CEO that mentioned the 12TB disks during an earnings call.

12TB HDDs from Seagate to be released within 2 months - Myce.com

So after just releasing their 10TB drives, Seagate plans to soon release 12TB drives. I just spent a lot of money buying a bunch of Toshiba 6TB X300 drives and most of them haven't been used yet and they are already obsolete, oh well...

Hopefully, this aggressive push by Seagate will lead to more higher capacity drives from other manufacturers and at lower prices.

Man I remember almost twenty years ago buying my first 1GB drive and i thought THAT was a lot. I know, there are people on here older than me who remember buying a 5MB hard drive, lol.

TDK should be shipping 2TB platters in Q4, so 14TB Heliums should start showing up about the end of the year from the usual suspects. They might be able to get up to 20TB in a Shingled 7 platter helium with current technology, but the next big thing in spinners is HAMR.

TDK should be shipping 2TB platters in Q4

So TDK, the company that used to make VHS and cassette tapes, makes the platters that hard drive makers use? I did not know that. I thought Seagate/WD/HGST/Toshiba made them themselves.

They might be able to get up to 20TB in a Shingled 7 platter

I read sometime ago on a hard drive roadmap that they were predicting 40TB HDD by 2020. I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now.

the next big thing in spinners is HAMR

Yeah but when... :rolleyes: I have been hearing about HAMR for a while now.

I had an 80 meg hard drive in my 1993 Tandy PC from Radio shack. Though it was huge. 2mb of system memory cost me 62$. Crazy how we forget how fast our world is moving. I didn't even know what the word gigabyte or terabyte meant back then.

Man I remember almost twenty years ago buying my first 1GB drive and i thought THAT was a lot. I know, there are people on here older than me who remember buying a 5MB hard drive, lol.

But, that low low price! :D
(circa early 1980s - also, notice the disclaimer for CP/M!)

20131214-182110.jpg

And here's to you, 70 and older demographic!

0c8f4ac2ff92469de54c2bedafdf467f.jpg
6ba8517fdffa7ce1a4522368d806356e.jpg

Last edited:
12TB HDDs coming soon!?

*sees Seagate as manufacturer

Oh, I thought we were talking about real HDDs. Got my hopes up.

Reactions: Rikki
like this
12TB HDDs coming soon!?

*sees Seagate as manufacturer

Oh, I thought we were talking about real HDDs. Got my hopes up.

Seagate manufacturers and sells the most HDDs in the world. What isn't real about them?

TDK should be shipping 2TB platters in Q4, so 14TB Heliums should start showing up about the end of the year from the usual suspects. They might be able to get up to 20TB in a Shingled 7 platter helium with current technology, but the next big thing in spinners is HAMR.

I thought the high capacity platters were made by SDK.

Last edited:
SirMaster,

It is because Seagate has had some bad drives from the 3TB lines, so immediately everyone hates them forever. Even though they are just as reliable as any other drive manufacturer.

SirMaster,

It is because Seagate has had some bad drives from the 3TB lines, so immediately everyone hates them forever. Even though they are just as reliable as any other drive manufacturer.

Indeed. I had a bunch of 200GB and 1TB WDC drives fail back in the day. It happens. I've had no issues at all with my 2TB, 4TB, and 6TB Seagate Enterprise level drives.

I'll be interested to see what price points these 12TB drives finally debut at. Some of the 8TB disks may come down to a point I'm willing to pay once these new 12TB HDD's hit the market.

The end is nigh. Even if we do not count the ten-grand-per-16TB 2.5" 16TB and 3.5" 60TB server SSDs, the $1500 4TB 2.5" SSD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G844OOO already holds the density crown (AFAIK the only 4TB 2.5" HDDs are 15mm) and as always, price will move downwards steadily.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I predict that by 2018 maybe mid 2019, these 12TB and soon 14TB drives will be between $150 and $200 and they will have 20TB drives out by then. By the time 40TB-60TB HAMR drives come out at around 2030, super high capacity SSD will finally be affordable and mechanical drive will start to be phased out completely. By the time a 100TB SSD cost a few hundred bucks, they will have SSD's capable of storing hundreds of Petabytes and will be working towards Exabyte SSD's. A century from now, we may be storing data on crystals of some kind.

SirMaster,

And I sold a LOT of their 500gb barracuda drives that had a ~50% failure rate. And Seagate continues to be the ONLY HDD manufacturer that can claim they sold a product wth a >100% failure rate.

So, yeah: not a lot of confidence in the brand.

That is great, Seagate looks like it finally saw a financial benefit to making better drives. It's no longer a secret that their products were historically worst-in-class, and now they are getting off their ass to make sure not too many more people get wind of it. That still does not mean I'd bet my own data on one of their products. Their board of directors has communicated loud and clear that if they can get away with it, they will gladly sell you lemons.

That is great, Seagate looks like it finally saw a financial benefit to making better drives. It's no longer a secret that their products were historically worst-in-class, and now they are getting off their ass to make sure not too many more people get wind of it. That still does not mean I'd bet my own data on one of their products. Their board of directors has communicated loud and clear that if they can get away with it, they will gladly sell you lemons.

I'll stick with HGST. Thanks. ;)

Kills me Samsung dont do drives any longer / large drives and HGST top out at 4TB and have done since around 2011 :(

Kills me Samsung dont do drives any longer / large drives and HGST top out at 4TB and have done since around 2011 :(

HGST makes 6TB, 8TB and 10TB drives. I don't think Samsung ever made mechanical drives, I think they were just rebranded Seagate or WD drives. Maybe someone here can confirm that.

But, that low low price! :D
(circa early 1980s - also, notice the disclaimer for CP/M!)

And here's to you, 70 and older demographic!

Mang! They have M26 drives! That's, like... thirteen times the number of M's my 950 M2 has! And I only just bought this thing! I need to upgrade pronto!

I predict that by 2018 maybe mid 2019, these 12TB and soon 14TB drives will be between $150 and $200 and they will have 20TB drives out by then. By the time 40TB-60TB HAMR drives come out at around 2030, super high capacity SSD will finally be affordable and mechanical drive will start to be phased out completely. By the time a 100TB SSD cost a few hundred bucks, they will have SSD's capable of storing hundreds of Petabytes and will be working towards Exabyte SSD's. A century from now, we may be storing data on crystals of some kind.

Yep, we'll be chiseling data into rocks like they did back in the stone age.

I'm just hoping that this drives down prices on the 6TB/8TB hard drives. I have two 20-bay UnRaid servers with a hodgepodge of 3TB / 2TB / 1TB / 500GB drives from over the years. I would love to be able to replace the smaller/older ones with cheap gigantic drives.

SirMaster,

Seagate drive quality in their consumer line has been sad since 200 GB up. Their NS line wasn't much better either. You can find plenty of evidence of this on any sales site that has reviews within the site. More recently it's being cited in the infamous Backblaze annual report. It's sad too because in the sub 30 GB drive days Seagate was known as the reliability titan that ran forever, albeit slower than all other drives made.

Back