12nm AMD Polaris Up and Coming Alright - Pretty Soon Already

https://videocardz.com/newz/powercolor-radeon-rx-590-red-devil-leaked

PowerColor-Radeon-RX-590-Red-Devil.jpg

Well that might be a new thing it seems ;)
The cooler looks good but a bit over the top?

They might as well make it one more slot higher and put a normal fan by the power plugs pushing air down the length of the card like a blower out of the case. That’s my dream GPU heatsink.

I wonder if Polaris can be pushed like Vega can be pushed when modifying powerplay tables? Reference:
I wouldn't mind dialing things to 11 as long as it didn't significantly degrade the lifespan of the silicon.

I wonder if Polaris can be pushed like Vega can be pushed when modifying powerplay tables? Reference:
I wouldn't mind dialing things to 11 as long as it didn't significantly degrade the lifespan of the silicon.

Don't know but my Red Devil RX 580 8gb card doesnt overclock worth a damn. 1380 default clocks , highest I could push it at +50mv is 1446 on the core. Maybe the 590 will fair better.

Vega 64 LC can consume some serious power! Was pushing 600w on a 6700K system at stock CPU clocks, a couple fans and a M.2 drive. No way the system was consuming more than 100w while the Vega 64 was around 500w. Undervolting is your friend if your Vega can take it, my Vega 64 is very finicky. 400w on the Vega 56 should be OK for long periods of time if properly cooled, they all have some rather beefy VRMs, at least the reference ones do.

will they fix the polaris freesync problem?

lots of people reported problems with freesync on the samsung 791 ultrawide, people later realised it affected only polaris (not 290/390), and then confirmed by the arrival of vega which had no freesync problems.

what happened with that?

Wait, Freesync was borked?

will they fix the polaris freesync problem?

lots of people reported problems with freesync on the samsung 791 ultrawide, people later realised it affected only polaris (not 290/390), and then confirmed by the arrival of vega which had no freesync problems.

what happened with that?

Last edited:
I can't say I can't wait but I'm hoping it will be a surprise one of the good kind...

That's it? all this time for a 200mhz overclock?

It better be cheap.

Realistically, what are your expectations?

Here's a hypothetical: If there is a change in a process reduction from 14nm to 12nm, what are your realistic expectations out of a GPU in general?

I'd like to hear your feedback on that hypothetical.

Realistically, what are your expectations?

Here's a hypothetical: If there is a change in a process reduction from 14nm to 12nm, what are your realistic expectations out of a GPU in general?

I'd like to hear your feedback on that hypothetical.
Very little the only thing I find interesting is the memory overclock on the Sapphire Nitro+ Special edition if that has any effect on higher resolutions.

Brent_Justice can you recall the post that Kyle made regarding golden samples of RX 480 with the same clock speed (?) as they are using now (1580) from his Asus contact?

All AMD seems to care about are Mid-Range game cards. In my 20 plus years of computer gaming, I've never purchased a mid-range card.

I'm running an RX480 Strix and its actually not a bad card at all. I'm interested, but I'd the rumored $499 is correct out better perform a bit better than midrange.

All AMD seems to care about are Mid-Range game cards. In my 20 plus years of computer gaming, I've never purchased a mid-range card.

Well your GTX 1070 says otherwise ;) . AMD does not have solution that compete with high end for a few years now and you should not expect anything soon either.
I'm running an RX480 Strix and its actually not a bad card at all. I'm interested, but I'd the rumored $499 is correct out better perform a bit better than midrange.
I would wait :) if you do the math with the GF 12nm and increase 10% over the RX 580 and then imagine the large overclock you need to justify that price tag for that price you can buy a RX Vega and for that money a much better buy. I have not seen anything 12nm from GF out there that did perform that well (take Zen vs Zen+).

How likely is it now that you will get better performance then RX Vega ...

https://videocardz.com/newz/asrocks-phantom-radeon-rx-590-leaked
ASROCK-RX590-Phantom-1.jpg

The Radeon RX 590 will be ASRock’s first release ‘on time’. The new Phantom Gaming card features identical design as RX 580 PG. The PCB, the heatsink and the shroud are all the same. The only new things are a new color scheme, and of course, an updated Polaris 30 XT processor, now on the 12nm FF node. Interestingly this model only requires a single 8-pin power connector.

AMD’s Radeon RX 590 launches on November 15th. The price is expected to be around the same as RX 480/580 at launch.

https://videocardz.com/79007/amd-radeon-rx-590-final-specs-pricing-and-performance

Let’s start with the most important piece of information. The official MSRP for Radeon RX 590 is 279 USD. This is a suggested price for nonexisting reference model (I mean there is a slide with a reference design, but I’m pretty sure it won’t be available). That said, the 279 USD price tag is likely just a starting point.

The price of RX 590 is therefore 40 USD higher than RX 480 at launch and 50 USD higher than RX 580 at launch (we are talking about 8GB models here).

RX 590: 12% better performance vs RX 580
Thanks to refined Polaris architecture now utilizing 12nm fabrication process, AMD has managed to squeeze 12% more performance and 15% higher clock speeds out of Polaris silicon. These are official figures straight from the slide.

Not to bad now if there were only some figures regarding power usage.

The numbers suggest that in Monster Hunter World, F1 2018, Shadow of the tomb raider, Blackops 4, Farcry 4 & Pubg it is faster then the GTX1060 (1080p)

Last edited:
Well your GTX 1070 says otherwise ;) . AMD does not have solution that compete with high end for a few years now and you should not expect anything soon either.

When I purchased the card it was considered high-end. Its still is a high end card.

Before the RTX came out:
Cards
Entry-level
GeForce GT 1030

Mid-range GeForce GTX 1050
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
GeForce GTX 1060

High-end
GeForce GTX 1070
GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
GeForce GTX 1080

Enthusiast
GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Nvidia Titan X
Nvidia Titan Xp

Amazon already has she nitro + for 279.99 for preorder. Looks like all these cards are going to be priced at 279.99. May be amd is regulating the price a little. Looks like straight msrp for all the after market cards. I mean now you are getting good quality cards for 279.99. If amd released a blower reference model it probable would have been 250. So 279.99 makes sense for these really good after market OC cards.

When I purchased the card it was considered high-end. Its still is a high end card.

Before the RTX came out:
Cards
Entry-level
GeForce GT 1030

Mid-range GeForce GTX 1050
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
GeForce GTX 1060

High-end
GeForce GTX 1070
GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
GeForce GTX 1080

Enthusiast
GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Nvidia Titan X
Nvidia Titan Xp

The 1070 has never been classed as a high end card. It's a mid range card and always has been, it was a direct replacement for the 970. The 1060, 1050 and 1050ti are mainstream cards.

Well, according to the H review, the RX590 is doing very well. I already have a 570 in one computer and a 56 in a other so I do not need anything. Good cooling too so the card will not self immolate.

Well, according to the H review, the RX590 is doing very well. I already have a 570 in one computer and a 56 in a other so I do not need anything. Good cooling too so the card will not self immolate.

Self immolation is a RTX feature, fire so real you can feel the heat :)

I think AMD is just trying to move as many rx 580s as they can. This might be a targeted price. Anayone notice a bunch of aftermarket rx 580s are on sale on newegg with 2 free games like few days before rx 590 comes out. I some how think this card is designed to move rx 580s for now. They were probably expecting it and all of sudden they will move shit load of rx 580s from the channel. I do think once that is done they will probably drop the price on these to 250 ish.

Price gap is too large right now plus rx 580 already comes with two of those new games. I think AMD knows it, probably next month depending on how many rx 580s they are able to move form the channel they will lower the price.

Last edited:
https://fudzilla.com/news/graphics/47626-amd-polaris-30-gpu-made-at-both-globalfoundries-and-samsung

This is somewhat of a surprise ;)

With TSMC crowded and GlobalFoundries is churning out those Zen-based CPUs, it comes as no surprise that AMD has decided to tap Samsung as the second supplier for the new Polaris 30 GPU, and, according to Techpowerup.com, it will be impossible to know which one is used since packaging from both foundries is done in China.

The 12nm FinFET manufacturing process from GlobalFoundries, also known as 12LP, is quite similar to Samsung's 11LPP, as both are derived from the original 14nm FinFET process, there shouldn't be any difference between these chips, at least not on paper.

Apple has been dual-sourcing the ARM chip inside their phones from both Samsung and TSMC for quite some time (my iPhone 6s Plus has the Samsung chip) and by all accounts performs pretty much identically between the two processes.

Some good news in my country at least. The RX 590 is the same price as the RX 580. That makes this even more attractive. That's for the Sapphire Nitro +

Back