12ms vs 8ms for gaming...how big of difference in ghosting

rifter

Limp Gawd
purchasing a lcd soon and wanted to know how much difference there is in the ghosting factor. i am not a hardcore gamer, but do enjoy playing fps on a daily basis. i know on many 8ms monitors like the l90d+ and samsung 930b, that there are tradeoffs to be made when going with an 8ms lcd. like viewing angle, 6bit vs 8bit and the amount of colors displayed with this 2bit differnce (correct me if i am wrong on this). i have seen specs on the l90d+ that say it displays 16.7million colors, but others say that it does not b/c of it being 6bit? what is the truth if anyone knows about this monitor (this is the one i am considering getting as it has gotten good reviews, good price, etc). i am new to the lcd game, but have been doing much research as of late. i am staying in the sub $400 range as it is all i can afford.

i have heard that the 12ms lcds dont have most of the inherent disadvantages of the 8ms, is this true? is it best to go with a 12ms if not a hardcore gamer?

any help would be great.

thanx

No one can determine the difference for you for 2 reasons:

1) there is too much variability in individual perception of movement (i.e. what ghosts for u wouldn't for me and vice versa)

2) response rate is measured differently from manufacturer to manufacturer and maybe even from model to model.

U have to go to a store and see the difference for urself (although I seriously doubt u will, at least in terms of speed)

I'm running a 12ms 172x 6 bit panel. I havn't noticed any ghosting issues and the colors seem just as vibrant as my previous crt. Though like Quick said, its all relative. Just purchase the panel that you beleive to have the best combination of features, looks and price. But picking some models your intersted in and then searching around online to see waht the general consensus is on them would be a good way to start your shopping. I can tell you right now that the monitor I previously mentioned and the hyundai L90D+ are some of the most popular and aggressively priced gaming monitors out there. You may want to check them out.

I dont think there will be a big difference, if there is a big price difference then get the 12ms one, but otherwise, like others have said, Its varys from person to person

I've used 172X (12ms) and L90D+ (8ms) with various games and I couldn't tell the difference btw response time btw two, didn't notice any ghosting. I didn't like L90D+ (poor colors, backlight leak, etc) tho..

I've personally used a 16ms Sony and my current 12ms 172x, and there is a noticable different between the two of them. There is much less ghosting on my 172x. Colors and viewing angles were basically the same. If that helps any.

BenQ just released a 6ms LCD and Samsung has plans to release a 4ms panel before the end of this year. I'm sure you will notice a difference between a 12 and 6ms panel if you play FPS games alot.

Anything TN sucks ass for color quality and viewing angles. At 12ms the very slight blurring on my 2405FPW when moving quickly doesn't bug me at all and I consider myself a hardcore gamer and am still doing just as well with this monitor as I was doing with my CRT in online FPS games (1st and 2nd place). I would much rather have an all around monitor that has good colors, viewing angles, contrast, and text sharpness, than have one that minimizes blurring beyond the point the human eye can even conceive yet has crap colors and viewing angles. Wait until Samsung releases their 19" 8ms PVA panels. If the 2405FPW is any indication of what the Samsung 19" 8ms PVA panels will be like then their is nothing else to expect but top quality. Anyone who says Samsung panels are crap obviously spent way to much money on their under spec LG and Sony panels and are just jealous.

Back