12c Zen 2 confirmed

Oooh but notice - base clock 3.4ghz and turbo 3.6ghz. I'll stick with the lower core counts if the turbo speeds suffer as cores go up.

I'm hoping these are pre-release non-tuned engineering sample clocks and that its a bit higher, especially if the 8c version is supposed to turbo to 5 Ghz...

Tree fiddy!

Okay, but I only do over the pants hand stuff.....

Oooh but notice - base clock 3.4ghz and turbo 3.6ghz. I'll stick with the lower core counts if the turbo speeds suffer as cores go up.

Tree fiddy!

Same. I think this CPU is for people who need a productivity PC but to whom a Threadripper is an overkill and too expensive. It is nice though, 12 core CPU for consumers.

Is your body ready?

Yes.

my_body_is_ready.png

I regret canceling my 1800x preorder on launch day. 5 ghz kept me in the dark side. Intel fucked with my mind always requiring a new MB for every tangible upgrade. Moving from 8 to 12 cores would be an excellent option to have.

I got a 4770S that I am hoping to replace with a 8C/16T Ryzen 5...

I regret canceling my 1800x preorder on launch day. 5 ghz kept me in the dark side. Intel fucked with my mind always requiring a new MB for every tangible upgrade. Moving from 8 to 12 cores would be an excellent option to have.
Right! WTF was that removing a pin, then putting one back? "Because we can" was their position now they dont know what to do with themselves.

I suspect the clocks are partially down to heat, my 1920x is 3.5/3.7 and thats a 180w tdp chip with twice the heatspreader. Also down to it being an ES, I think we'll see an extra 100-200mhz for the retail chips

I suspect the clocks are partially down to heat, my 1920x is 3.5/3.7 and thats a 180w tdp chip with twice the heatspreader. Also down to it being an ES, I think we'll see an extra 100-200mhz for the retail chips

Original zen was 2.8ghz base and 3.2ghz boost. Then 1800x l launched at 3.6ghz base. You are not getting less base speed then zen on 14nm for top model. Expect another 600-800mhz on the base speed for top end model when it launches. You can book it.

Reactions: GHRTW
like this
I wonder about this so called "benchmark" as it is. Who would use 4 GB ram at the lowest speed possible in single channel? I smell a red herring. Generally ES benchmarks are not supposed to be leaked under NDA.

I'll be picking up the highest clock speed chip that my X470 board can support.
6 cores/12 threads is already more than enough for my gaming needs.
Hoping AMD can bring on the clock speeds with this next release.

Original zen was 2.8ghz base and 3.2ghz boost. Then 1800x l launched at 3.6ghz base. You are not getting less base speed then zen on 14nm for top model. Expect another 600-800mhz on the base speed for top end model when it launches. You can book it.

2.8GHz base and 3.2GHz boost were the clocks of the first gen engineering sample of the 1800X: 1D2801A2M88E4_32/28_N. The second gen engineering sample, 2D3151A2M88E4_35/31_N, increased clocks to 3.1GHz base and 3.5GHz boost.

This Zen2 sample mentioned in the OP is a second gen engineering sample.

2D3212BGMCWH2_37 / 34_N

2 = Second gen engineering sample
D = Desktop
321 = ?
2 = Model number
BG = 105W
M = AM4 socket
C = 12C
W = 12x 512KB L2 + 32 MB L3
H2 = Steeping
37 = 3.7GHz boost
34 = 3.4GHz base

Last edited:
I will be picking up whatever my Asus Crosshair Hero VII can handle. I would assume it would be able to handle the 16core Ryzen 3's coming out? But who knows what CPU's and clock speeds will look like.

I see where you're coming from, thank you for the clarification. Personally I see that more as rumor, and this article edging closer to truth, and more tangible.

It wasn't a mere rumor. The 12C engineering sample was spotted in a database as well.

I will be picking up whatever my Asus Crosshair Hero VII can handle. I would assume it would be able to handle the 16core Ryzen 3's coming out? But who knows what CPU's and clock speeds will look like.

My guess is you'll need 570 chipset for 16/32 processors, but higher end 470 can handle 12/24 all lower chipsets will handle 8/16. Totally a guess, though. I have a Strix ITX 350 chipset that I'm expecting to replace to get a 16/32 in that system.

My guess is you'll need 570 chipset for 16/32 processors, but higher end 470 can handle 12/24 all lower chipsets will handle 8/16. Totally a guess, though. I have a Strix ITX 350 chipset that I'm expecting to replace to get a 16/32 in that system.

Yea I am hoping since the board I have is the highest end X470 there is....so who knows. Just have to be patient.

Yea I am hoping since the board I have is the highest end X470 there is....so who knows. Just have to be patient.

I built a system for a client in December and that motherboard had 12 pin power input, I'd hope it could handle 16/32, but who knows, maybe it'd require dual 8 pin CPU inputs?

Motherboard was Asrock X470 Master SLI/AC AM4 Promontory

I think its a tough decision for them do they leave 16 core and up for threadripper series? They are probably looking to see if they want to rush 16 cores to mainstream processors. If Intel has nothing to even match 12 core in the mainstream may be they hold off 16 core until 2020.

I wouldn't be surprised if they leave the 16 core chips to threadripper series with more memory channels. If they see its limited by dual channel memory.

Either way I think 16 core chip is probably giving them something to think about lol. They might sand bag that shit too cuz if 12 core chip is pushing past 4.5ghz when you OC it, people will be jumping on that regardless.

Last edited:
I think its a tough decision for them do they leave 16 core and up for threadripper series? They are probably looking to see if they want to rush 16 cores to mainstream processors. If Intel has nothing to even match 12 core in the mainstream may be they hold off 16 core until 2020.

I wouldn't be surprised if they leave the 16 core chips to threadripper series with more memory channels. If they see its limited by dual channel memory.

Either way I think 16 core chip is probably giving them something to think about lol. They might sand bag that shit too cuz if 12 core chip is pushing past 4.5ghz when you OC it, people will be jumping on that regardless.

I don't think so at all. The TR 1900 is an 8 core 16 thread CPU, which the 1700 - 2700x covered.

There is also a 12/24 TR2 CPU, which they're encroaching on with Ryzen 3 "confirmed" leaks, so I don't think its outside of the possibilities to see a 16/32 Ryzen CPU.

Especially if a 16/32 Ryzen is priced around $500. This would still make them money compared to TR 1950, but wouldnt have as much cache/pcie lanes, or quad memory channels of a 2950x.

If you consider another 4 months long way out. Then yea it is.
Sigh, waited years for Zen2 but these last few months are an utter balldragger. Gotta build a temp PC to use next few months for remote R&D, after which it goes to the CEO for solidworks duty.
2700X Mini-ITX and my spare 290X shoehorned into some shitty SFF case lol. Luckily it's mostly mesh...

I have the same board and I believe it should be fine, based off of AMD claiming lesser power usage vs 9900K. I have seen HWinfo/Aquasuite display a 160 watts usage during stress testing, this is with setting a +Vcore offset, level 4 OC and letting XFR do its thing.

Derb8auer also hit 6 Ghz on LN2 with the same board, so power should be there.

I would be more worried about boards with weaker VRMs not being able to handle the extra power draw continuously.

TR will become more of a memory and I/O platform if they goto 16/32 on AM4, also bear in mind that TR core counts will go up as well.

With the increase core count and the lower cost per core, will the TR prices also come dramatically down? A 16 core TR, $500? $600? Will make a TR system even more desirable.

Not sure, think they may utilize Intel's strategy. You want 16 cores and 24 pcie lanes? Go series Ryzen... If you want 16 cores+ and 64 pcie lanes? Go Threadripper. While a 16 core Ryzen should be comparable to a 16 core TR speed/performance wise, what you can do with those systems are different and that would be by limiting pcie lanes.

The 2XXX series launched at a lower price than the 1xxx series, but I would not expect it to keep getting lower and lower every launch. If Intel keeps laughing at 400+, I would assume the 37xx to be $330, with a 12/16 being priced higher. TR, I think $900 is the new base entry level price vs the 1000 it initially launched at.

Imho 12c/24t co will probably be premium for now and priced somewhat higher than 1800x when it launched. 16c/32t will come out at later date

Back