12900k getting price cut at MC

Link

Gawd
Even though it's the in-store-only deal, MC is selling 12900k for below $600.

Screenshot 2021-12-08 123308.png

I do not count one penny is saying below 600 and the reason for the price cut is you won’t be able to use the damn thing for more than a year

DDR 5 Ram. And don't tell people to get those cheap ass DDR 4 Main boards either.

Reactions: Don_1
like this
Nothing wrong with picking up a DDR4 board especially if you have good DDR4 ram already. I have buddies on Skylake still getting the itch and depending on your needs just swapping the board and CPU for a lot more cores and a decent speed bump is worth it. Obviously can swap to AM4 just as easily in that case.

I'm building a 12600k /MSI Pro A D4 box for shits and giggles and just need the board and CPU since I have some B-die DDR4 and all the other components lying around. Pretty cheap to mess with this way and get my Win 11 pain on while keeping my daily PC setup unchanged.

Now, someone starting from scratch? Maybe wait until AM5 or Raptor Lake and hopefully by then DDR5 will be more plentiful. Keep waiting for who knows how long or just go DDR4. My 2c

DDR 5 Ram. And don't tell people to get those cheap ass DDR 4 Main boards either.
Why would we short change others with solid advice because your apparently jaded? 🤔
Gotta do that early adoption research if its that important! The ddr5 story was written on the wall well before AL released. Everything ddr5 was selling out instantly. Read a story online about a new ddr5 kit going on sale? Gone 5 minutes later. No different than ddr4 and ddr3 etc etc. That's the way it always goes...you get in quick, or wait with new gear, or find alternatives. If your not willing to rock a ddr4 mb that's on you.
Anyhow, MC almost always has the best cpu prices. With the lovely bit added in that you have to go in store to get one. They do offer some sweet $20 or $30 cpu/mb discounts as well as the occasional $10 ssd and memory discounts. So if you're close to one you can save a few bucks or in my case cover your gas.

DDR4 boards are fine to use. As far as benchmarks go DDR5 isn't that big of if any difference and with the shortage and price of DDR5 it only makes DDR4 boards the most logical way to go at the moment.

Maybe they are moving slow. DDR5 is scarce and scalped, GPU apocalypse is ongoing, the opinion on z690 boards seems to be that they are priced high and Win 11 is new and a turn off for many. All speculation of course. The performance is good though. AMD will respond and lots of people seem to be waiting on that to make a decision.

Lastly-- Competition seems to be back finally so Intel is competing on price for a change?

DDR4 boards are fine to use. As far as benchmarks go DDR5 isn't that big of if any difference and with the shortage and price of DDR5 it only makes DDR4 boards the most logical way to go at the moment.
The vast majority of them are probably fine. However, people who like to buy high end motherboards for whatever the reason, will not be satisfied by the DDR4 boards which are often barely mid-range. The DDR5 boards are the ones with 10GbE NICs, Thunderbolt support, have more M.2 slots and things like that.

i love this price war.

bestbuy is pricematching these, if you're lucky

Lol, Intel just keeps fucking up. Karma?
How is Intel fucking up? One store that most people don't have access too dropping the price. They still going for $620 on NE and amazon. MC is using it to get people in the store and hoping they for them to build entire systems there. 12900k Is a pretty damn good CPU.

I have not seen a DDR4 Z690 motherboard I would buy. I saw some mention of an Asus Z690 Strix-E D4 on some compatibility lists for parts and have not seen it available. Did they cancel it or have not yet released it?

How is Intel fucking up? One store that most people don't have access too dropping the price. They still going for $620 on NE and amazon. MC is using it to get people in the store and hoping they for them to build entire systems there. 12900k Is a pretty damn good CPU.
Microcenter is virtually always cheaper than anyone else on CPU's.

The vast majority of them are probably fine. However, people who like to buy high end motherboards for whatever the reason, will not be satisfied by the DDR4 boards which are often barely mid-range. The DDR5 boards are the ones with 10GbE NICs, Thunderbolt support, have more M.2 slots and things like that.
Agreed, and eventually most of us will get there, but until DDR5 becomes more readily available as mentioned numerous times we have to be patient. I actually had a chance in the Newegg shuffle to get an Aorus DDR5 board and Kingston DDR5 but passed.

Agreed, and eventually most of us will get there, but until DDR5 becomes more readily available as mentioned numerous times we have to be patient. I actually had a chance in the Newegg shuffle to get an Aorus DDR5 board and Kingston DDR5 but passed.
Don't blame you. Those combo prices are ridiculous for 32GB of DDR5.

Last edited:
DDR5 motherboards are out of control. Just three years ago, $750 would have been unthinkable for a mainstream segment board. Now, that's the mid-range of the highest end motherboards. A s I've been looking for DDR5, I've seen the price shoot through the roof at retailers, even if the memory itself is out of stock. The prices on eBay are actually coming down as the initial wave of people willing to overpay probably have their RAM or sanity has kicked in. But the price for some kits is upwards of $750 or more at Newegg. Microcenter has increased its prices on DDR5 $100 this week. So now the good kits are all $430-$500 there but not in stock. Best Buy is the only major retailer that's not jacking prices.

The combo prices have come down quite a bit now it seems. Just couldn't justify getting a DDR5 motherboard and ram when I just got my setup complete and it's doing fine.

DDR5 motherboards are out of control. Just three years ago, $750 would have been unthinkable for a mainstream segment board. Now, that's the mid-range of the highest end motherboards. A s I've been looking for DDR5, I've seen the price shoot through the roof at retailers, even if the memory itself is out of stock. The prices on eBay are actually coming down as the initial wave of people willing to overpay probably have their RAM or sanity has kicked in. But the price for some kits is upwards of $750 or more at Newegg. Microcenter has increased its prices on DDR5 $100 this week. So now the good kits are all $430-$500 there but not in stock. Best Buy is the only major retailer that's not jacking prices.
Agreed. I didn't blink so much with an $800 board for my Threadripper - that's supposed to be a 3-5 year workstation. But I wasn't going to spend that on a consumer-level gaming board (did $350 for a Z490 Aorus Master instead). But now? That's bloody mid-range, which is @#$@ insane. I can sorta understand the Z690 Godlike price (especially with bundled ram), but the rest? $1000+ for a consumer board?!?

Agreed. I didn't blink so much with an $800 board for my Threadripper - that's supposed to be a 3-5 year workstation. But I wasn't going to spend that on a consumer-level gaming board (did $350 for a Z490 Aorus Master instead). But now? That's bloody mid-range, which is @#$@ insane. I can sorta understand the Z690 Godlike price (especially with bundled ram), but the rest? $1000+ for a consumer board?!?
Well, boards like the GIGABYTE Z690 Aorus Xtreme and the ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme do have expensive integrated features like 10GbE NICs and that sort of thing. In fact, the consumer market is almost pushing HEDT out of the market completely. Partly because Intel hasn't been able to compete there and also because Threadripper has priced itself out of the range HEDT used to occupy. Now its in that high end workstation market that used to straddle the HEDT and server markets price wise.

I'm not saying these boards are reasonably priced by any means. However, given shortages, given what's on them I can understand it to some extent. With core counts where they are at, there isn't much difference between ASUS X299 Prime Edition 30 and the Maximus Z690 Extreme in terms of manufacturing costs. If anything, the latter is more expensive and its price unfortunately reflects that. These boards are also artificially inflated because they are sold in much lower numbers.

Well, boards like the GIGABYTE Z690 Aorus Xtreme and the ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme do have expensive integrated features like 10GbE NICs and that sort of thing. In fact, the consumer market is almost pushing HEDT out of the market completely. Partly because Intel hasn't been able to compete there and also because Threadripper has priced itself out of the range HEDT used to occupy. Now its in that high end workstation market that used to straddle the HEDT and server markets price wise.

I'm not saying these boards are reasonably priced by any means. However, given shortages, given what's on them I can understand it to some extent. With core counts where they are at, there isn't much difference between ASUS X299 Prime Edition 30 and the Maximus Z690 Extreme in terms of manufacturing costs. If anything, the latter is more expensive and its price unfortunately reflects that. These boards are also artificially inflated because they are sold in much lower numbers.
Sure, but you could get those before on some of the $600-700 boards too (my TR and x299 boards both have at least 1 10G port, and were in that 600-800 range less than a year ago). But those were HEDT boards; you expected some extra cost. You make a valid point that consumer is crossing over to HEDT land; and the number of sales, but damn - even getting a ~good~ mid-range board puts them into that 500+ range now it seems. Ah well.

Grabbed another ADL for my family member. Good guy Intel saving us from overpriced PC hardware.

Grabbed another ADL for my family member. Good guy Intel saving us from overpriced PC hardware.

If you think Intel is "saving" you from anything or is the "good guy," you need to unbury your head from the sand. Intel and AMD want you to do one thing...help their bottom line.

Back