12700K ram choices?

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
So I just got this setup up and running, I have a 12700K and an MSI Z690-A DDR4 board. I currently have two choices for RAM here, wondering which way to go is better. Both are 3200mhz XMP settings, I have a G-Skill 2x16 kit that is 16-18-18-38 but I also have a Teamgroup 4x8 kit that is samsung B-die 14-14-14-31 - technically it was 2 kits of 16GB but I bought them on sale and wanted to grab more B-dies.

They both add up to 32GB, not sure if either would make any difference? I went with the two stick kit for now because it was at hand when I put the board in.

Last edited:
What's the speed of both kit's? It's easier to get the rated speeds the fewer sticks you have but I don't think it's a big deal on intel.

Whoops, I thought I typed that before. Both are 3200mhz kits, basically timings and number of modules are the only difference. I have zero interest in trying to push them past XMP settings, I'd rather go to a rock fight than mess around with memory settings for endless hours.

Historically, Intel is less susceptible to memory latency compared to AMD and the difference between Cas 14 and 16 will not result in a significant performance reduction. I'd probably stick with the 2x16GB kit and try to get the memory to run at rated timings and 1T command rate. I have found ADL memory controller to not be as strong as Intel generally is (Skylake through Comet Lake) and will have memory errors if pushing too hard. I don't know if you'd get 4 sticks Cas 14 to run without tweaking memory settings (which you don't want to do).

Then when you RMA your AMD stuff (from the other thread), you have the lower latency memory to play with that AMD CPUs like.

Historically, Intel is less susceptible to memory latency compared to AMD and the difference between Cas 14 and 16 will not result in a significant performance reduction. I'd probably stick with the 2x16GB kit and try to get the memory to run at rated timings and 1T command rate. I have found ADL memory controller to not be as strong as Intel generally is (Skylake through Comet Lake) and will have memory errors if pushing too hard. I don't know if you'd get 4 sticks Cas 14 to run without tweaking memory settings (which you don't want to do).

Then when you RMA your AMD stuff (from the other thread), you have the lower latency memory to play with that AMD CPUs like.

Yeah that was my thought too, I'm going to stick with this kit then. I have the AMD rig running stress tests right now, but it doesn't seem to bother it unless you play a game. Prime95 ran for 3 hours with no problem, but I fire up heaven benchmark and it crashes in less than 10 seconds. Even with my little baby RX 560 it still crashes.

Back