12700k Arctic Liquid freezer ii 280 CPU overheating

thewizard1785

Limp Gawd
CPU starts overheating as soon I as turn on the PC and get to the Bios. I think the block is making decent contact with the CPU? If that’s not the case please let me know. The radiator fans and the small fan on the block all seems to be working properly. I can feel pulsating vibration/sound when I grab both tubes but it seems faint. I tried both CPU Fan header on the Asus Z690 Tuf D4 motherboard as well as the AIO pump header. I don’t get much time to mess around in the Bios because CPU starts overheating as soon as I turn on the PC. Any help appreciated. Thinking about getting an air cooler to try.

Attachments

• D3EB4466-309C-4892-8A37-1061B49D6091.jpeg
    D3EB4466-309C-4892-8A37-1061B49D6091.jpeg
    511.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 6475A61D-A103-4B06-A9B1-A2A4A959ADCC.jpeg
    6475A61D-A103-4B06-A9B1-A2A4A959ADCC.jpeg
    581.1 KB · Views: 0
What are the temps? As a note, that is a TON of thermal paste.
Are the fans kicking on? Have you set fan speeds?

I generally get a warning that no CPU fan found message when The AIO is connected to AIO pump header on the motherboard. I press F1 to continue and always see the Temperature ramp up until it hits 88.

I'd try with an air cooler, but it seems like the board agrees that there is something wrong with your pump. In your video the AIO pump has an RPM though. Maybe try the pump on a different header on the motherboard?

That's a pretty old bios on that board also. I'd update it once you get the system up and running.

RPM for AIO shows up every time I connect this to AIO pump header. CPU fan error goes away and rpm shows for that shows up when I connect this to the cpu fan header. I thought maybe I didn’t mount this properly at first but I have remounted the block at least five times with the same outcome. Tried different fan headers and kept one variable between system reboot.

Yes, I will upgrade the bios as soon as I get a temperature stable system. Too scared to play around with any settings and causing permanent damage to the CPU. Now waiting for the Air cooler to show up.

If the block is mounted properly you should have enough time to adjust a few bios settings even if the pump wasn’t on or blocked.

I have the same AIO also from eBay b stock. It arrived with one small wire clipped near the pump. Making the whole thing not function right. I had probably 2 minutes or so on a 7600x before it hit 90 degrees. I quickly suspected a faulty wire or pump. Saw the small nick in the wire, soldered it up and heat shrink was applied worked excellent after.

But I had some time to adjust things. That pump should be set to 100%.

But I’m sure the other AMD CPU’s run hotter faster.

Last edited:
That’s why I posted the pic for the block and cpu with thermal paste to see if anyone sees any glaring problem and if i didn’t mount it correctly. Maybe I did go overboard with thermal paste?

Took time to properly install backplate, 13mm standoffs for LGA1700, seemed ok but maybe I can try everything again. I watched this helpful video on YouTube before I started with the build.

The paste application being thick isn't the problem unfortunately. Something wrong with your aio.
The good thing is it carries a full warranty. So you will get a new replacement and from what I've heard they have really solid cs.

Ended up Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Stable at 30c idle with XMP enabled
Finally I can go ahead and update bios/install OS.

Attachments

• C102CC6B-AFD3-461C-861E-96A9ECDC6E2E.jpeg
    C102CC6B-AFD3-461C-861E-96A9ECDC6E2E.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 0
Back