122hz vs 144hz Gaming Monitors

Zer0Cool

Limp Gawd
Is there a noticeable difference? I'm switching from 60hz lcd. I really have my eye set on the Benq XL2420TX - http://www.benq.us/product/monitor/xl2420tx
(122hz) 2ms comes with the built in emitter for 3d gaming. $500

Now there is also VG248QE - http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG248QE/
(144hz) 1ms doesn't have a built in 3d emitter. $300

Benq specializes in video emitting and projecting where Asus has such a broad range of products. I have already ordered the benq but having 2nd thoughts. Is 3d gaming any good? Or is this something u would use for a month and never use again......lol

Need some help please

Thanks.

if you really want good motion performance change gpu to nvidia and buy LightBoost monitor

Benq has something called Black Equalizer.

"Poor visibility in dark scenes can cost even the most skillful gamers their game. The Black eQualizer color engine technology is designed to offer an unprecedented level of control and visibility. Dark scenes are brightened without over-exposing the bright areas to preserve vital details, enabling gamers to spot their enemies easily in critical combat and react quickly in any situation.'

Black Equalizer and light boost I believe are the same. Correct me if I'm wrong someone.

no it's not, not even close

LightBoost is for motion blur reduction. It hides pixel transitions and reduce sample&hold blur and gives CRT like motion.

even 1ms 144Hz monitor will still have most of it's motion blur because of sample&hold blur effect. Only proper flickering can reduce it to nothing and LightBoost do just that :)

OP should have googled some monitor reviews before buying perchance?

Black Equalizer is just a marketing gimmick. It reduces the gamma with certain shades to wash out dark details and the modes which offer BE have poor black levels and unchangeable colors.

Most monitors have game presets which have low average gamma by default and or gamma settings which do the same thing. Color quality has to be sacrificed so noobs can get an advantage...lame, as is the targeting reticle Asus offers on their VG248QE. If developers wanted players to be able to see into certain areas then they would have designed the maps differently and not provide gamma/brightness set up tutorials. It is very rare for displays to have black crush, usually it is the opposite.

Many Samsung TN's by default come set with 1.8-2.0 average gamma=washed out detail, Asus monitors have Game modes with lowish gamma and Night View mode which reduces the gamma and contrast and LG's usually have 3 gamma settings which do the same thing.

144hz offers diminishing returns vs. 120, however the 1ms 144hz models do provide better lightboost performance, see this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1734114

no it's not, not even close

LightBoost is for motion blur reduction. It hides pixel transitions and reduce sample&hold blur and gives CRT like motion.

even 1ms 144Hz monitor will still have most of it's motion blur because of sample&hold blur effect. Only proper flickering can reduce it to nothing and LightBoost do just that :)

Thanks for the clearup.

XL2420TX comes with LightBoost ready & Black Equalizer. Anyone know if the LightBoost on Benq is just as good as on the Asus?

OP should have googled some monitor reviews before buying perchance?

Black Equalizer is just a marketing gimmick. It reduces the gamma with certain shades to wash out dark details and the modes which offer BE have poor black levels and unchangeable colors.

Most monitors have game presets which have low average gamma by default and or gamma settings which do the same thing. Color quality has to be sacrificed so noobs can get an advantage...lame, as is the targeting reticle Asus offers on their VG248QE. If developers wanted players to be able to see into certain areas then they would have designed the maps differently and not provide gamma/brightness set up tutorials. It is very rare for displays to have black crush, usually it is the opposite.

Many Samsung TN's by default come set with 1.8-2.0 average gamma=washed out detail, Asus monitors have Game modes with lowish gamma and Night View mode which reduces the gamma and contrast and LG's usually have 3 gamma settings which do the same thing.

144hz offers diminishing returns vs. 120, however the 1ms 144hz models do provide better lightboost performance, see this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1734114

I did some more looking in and Benq XL2420TX does come with LightBoost ready.

The only diference is the 120 vs 144 hz and the 1ms

Would u say that light boost on benq is almost the same as on the Asus?

Thank you! :)

All of those picture adjustment modes like Black-Equalizer are disabled in Lightboost mode.

I just want to be sure i will be able to use lightboost with XL2420TX and be able to reduce the motion blur :)

Back