12100 or 12400 for flight sims?

it seems to be using more than 4 cores now, so i would say yes. in 2021 they were recommending a 3950x 16/32 cpu...

Last edited:
Yikes! I didn't think that they would be able to use that many cores.
thank you for your quick reply.

If you aren't truly budget constrained, then the 12400 is the obvious answer.

KekTc9JHkZUByDVApi69ah-970-80.png.webp

Even with a RTX 3090 at 1080p, seem to be extremely small difference between the 2, I would imagine with a video card of a person hesitating between those 2, it could be nill.

PassMark jump from 12100 to 12400 seem to be around 36% is quite significant and the gap in different game can get large, so maybe future upgrade on flight sim or a different game could take advantage of it one day or for other task should keep it into consideration.

But it is extraordinary what a 12100 can do in workloads like game.

KekTc9JHkZUByDVApi69ah-970-80.png.webp

Even with a RTX 3090 at 1080p, seem to be extremely small difference between the 2, I would imagine with a video card of a person hesitating between those 2, it could be nill.

PassMark jump from 12100 to 12400 seem to be around 36% is quite significant and the gap in different game can get large, so maybe future upgrade on flight sim or a different game could take advantage of it one day or for other task should keep it into consideration.

But it is extraordinary what a 12100 can do in workloads like game.
when is that chart from? supposedly the newer updates improve mutli-core use, anything pre-2021 shows little difference over 4 cores.

when is that chart from? supposedly the newer updates improve mutli-core use, anything pre-2021 shows little difference over 4 cores.
If they test a 12100 it must be from 2022 no ? And a 12100 has hyper thread, 8 threads is quite a lot for a game.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i3-12100-12100f-review
By Paul Alcorn published February 14, 2022

Maybe the 5600x score are recycled, but the 12400 vs 12100 must be quite recent.

According to this:
https://overclock3d.net/reviews/sof...c_performance_review_and_optimisation_guide/5

Could be misleading to look just a total run average/low FPS, has taking off and flying seem to be quite different.

In flight advantage of core dimish rapidly on a 3950x (going over 4 give little), but during take off it is significant.

If they test a 12100 it must be from 2022 no ? And a 12100 has hyper thread, 8 threads is quite a lot for a game.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i3-12100-12100f-review
By Paul Alcorn published February 14, 2022

Maybe the 5600x score are recycled, but the 12400 vs 12100 must be quite recent.

According to this:
https://overclock3d.net/reviews/sof...c_performance_review_and_optimisation_guide/5

Could be misleading to look just a total run average/low FPS, has taking off and flying seem to be quite different.

In flight advantage of core dimish rapidly on a 3950x (going over 4 give little), but during take off it is significant.
lol duh...
that kinda make sense, more detail on ground.

It might help if you were more specific about *which* flight simulator you are talking about. There are video games which have airplanes (of which there are many), and then there are the more realistic flight simulators (of which there are three, in varying degree of realism). What does the rest of the system look like?

It might help if you were more specific about *which* flight simulator you are talking about. There are video games which have airplanes (of which there are many), and then there are the more realistic flight simulators (of which there are three, in varying degree of realism). What does the rest of the system look like?
good point, i assumed fs2020...

If I had the budget I'd definitely bring more horsepower to a flight sim. As a rule they tend to be CPU heavy and you're always only 1 DLC away from "good enough" becoming "I wish I'd spent that 40 bucks."

MS Flight Sim was the first "game" I played that in any way justified 32GB of ram on my game box.

If I had the budget I'd definitely bring more horsepower to a flight sim. As a rule they tend to be CPU heavy and you're always only 1 DLC away from "good enough" becoming "I wish I'd spent that 40 bucks."

MS Flight Sim was the first "game" I played that in any way justified 32GB of ram on my game box.

Although, in fairness that a 12100F is listed at like $97, so it's probably slightly more than $40, but generally, I'd agree.

you want as high clock speed and as much cache and ram as you can afford.

Back