120mm fans recommendation, high pressure and quiet

CaptNumbNutz

Fully [H]
I need some 120mm fans with relatively high pressure and are relatively quiet. I mean quiet, not silent...I'm willing to trade a little noise for performance.
In other words..NO NEXUS or SILENX fans, but rather the kind you would use on a heatsink with dense fins. I will be using these fans for a heatsink, and as intake fans with filters to make the case positively pressured to keep out dust.

Here are a few examples, I would like to know what you guys think about them, or any others you might recommend.

1.Delta 120x38mm Triple Blade LOW SPEED. 76 CFM, 35db
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=20849

2. Panaflo 120x38mm L1 LOW SPEED. 69 CFM, 30db
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=876

3. Scythe 120x25mm S-Flex 1600rpm. 64 CFM, 28db
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=4073

4. Yate Loon 120x25mm. 48 CFM, 28db
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=4041

I already own one of the aforementioned Scythe S-flex 1600rpm fans. I know its not 28db at full speed, but its relatively quiet.

I am really interested to know what you guys think about the Delta and Panaflo's I have listed. If these fans don't perform up to spec, should I just save my money and get the tried and true Yate Loons?
If there are any other fans that fit into this category, please mention them.

Get the S-Flex F series, I have 3 for my next computer build which will be started in a week :)

IMG_5760.jpg

don't trust those ratings, i highly doubt that panaflo or scythe can really push 60+cfm at less than 30dba. do yourself a favor and get some yate loons and run them at 7v. there's no better bang for the buck case fan out there.

don't trust those ratings, i highly doubt that panaflo or scythe can really push 60+cfm at less than 30dba. do yourself a favor and get some yate loons and run them at 7v. there's no better bang for the buck case fan out there.

I'll agree here.

And is there a discernible difference if you run them at 12v?

I'm a huge fan of tunable fans. Find one that is medium to powerful at 12v, and then rheostat it to adjust it to the proper volume/air-flow of your needs.

All my fans in my current case, and all my fans in my new project I'm building are on adjustable switches. The current one is just a 12v / 7v / off switch. Fairly simple. On idle, and for plain websurfing (like right now) I just let the fans on quiet (I even turn OFF the second exhaust). But, when I get on any games, I turn up the volume and turn up the speed.

In fact, here's a similar one to the one I made: FrozenCPU 3-Switch Fan Controller for 3-1/2" Drive Bay.

I vote YL. 3 bucks at Jab Tech. :)

I second that. Just picked up 4 of em (with blue LEDs) for 20 bucks and they're incredible. Between the 4 of them running at 12v and my AC7 Pro at full speed, the loudest thing in my TJ09 is the DVD burner when it spins.

I vote for the panaflo. I have had tons of panaflos over the past few years and they are built very, very well. Solid construction and no noise except airflow noise. The M1A at 7v is very quiet and still pushes a very decent amount of air. I have that exact fan as the rear exhaust in my TJ09. I have a panaflo H1A at 7v on my Big Typhoon.

I have been asking around for weeks now on decent fan replacements for my TJ09. I am needed two new blowhole, 1 center gpu fan and possibly one for the hard drive areas. I was seriously looking into the Scythe S-Flex F series. Since you have one how would you rate the amount of airflow at both 12 and 7v? Very decent or weak? I find the stock fans in the TJ09 very weak and I need much more airflow for the upcoming hot summer months.

I vote for the panaflo. I have had tons of panaflos over the past few years and they are built very, very well. Solid construction and no noise except airflow noise. The M1A at 7v is very quiet and still pushes a very decent amount of air. I have that exact fan as the rear exhaust in my TJ09. I have a panaflo H1A at 7v on my Big Typhoon.

I have been asking around for weeks now on decent fan replacements for my TJ09. I am needed two new blowhole, 1 center gpu fan and possibly one for the hard drive areas. I was seriously looking into the Scythe S-Flex F series. Since you have one how would you rate the amount of airflow at both 12 and 7v? Very decent or weak? I find the stock fans in the TJ09 very weak and I need much more airflow for the upcoming hot summer months.
The Scythe S-Flex 1600 RPM Fan at 12V pushes a lot of air. I happened to come across them when I was looking for a new CPU fan for my ThermalRight SI-120 last year. I wanted a 120mm fan that could push a decent amount of air, but didn't draw so much power that it couldn't be connected to the MB fan header. When its at full speed, you can hear it, but its not annoying. I've tinkered with the bios settings on my board, and up to 10-11v it is inaudible. If I had to guess its actual noise, I would say around 32-34 db at full speed. I cannot hear it when I am playing games. The next step down (the 1200rpm version) should be completely silent at 12V.
As for pushing enough air, it kept my 4200+ Manchester (poor overclocker) with an SI-120 under 50C under load when it was overclocked to 2.6ghz.
Anandtech has really taken a liking to it since they paired it with the Thermalright Ultra 120 and it tied the Tuniq Tower in cooling power.

Thanks for the input on the Panaflo. Anyone have any input on the Low Speed Delta 3 Blade?
I am really looking for a 38mm fan for the greater air pressure. These will be intake fans with dust filters to help keep the case positively pressured and to keep dust out. The Yate Loons sound like they are perfect for the exhaust.

Silenx Ixtrema 120.

About 20 bucks per fan but advertised 18dba 90cfm. I have 2 in my case and can't hear it. (It's under my desk). If it's dead quiet I can, but just get a fan controller and turn em down a little.

You absolutely cannot beat Yate Loons in the price/performance category (not to mention they're also near-silent when undervolted,):

http://www.xpcgear.com/d12sl12.html
Coupon code xpcgear502nexusto get them for $4 shipped.

(BTW, OP - Yate Loon fans = Nexus fans, same make/model... except the Nexus fans are undervolted.)

Another vote for Panaflo M1A.

Sucks cats and dogs in at 12V, damn quiet at 7V. Even quieter at 5V, and they reliably start up at 5V. Pushes decent amount of air at 5V too.

Panaflo vote here too, absolutely love those things.

Silenx Ixtrema 120.

About 20 bucks per fan but advertised 18dba 90cfm. I have 2 in my case and can't hear it. (It's under my desk). If it's dead quiet I can, but just get a fan controller and turn em down a little.

Lol.

It's 18dba OR 90cfm depending on voltage... Not both.

Silenx Ixtrema 120.

Lol.

It's 18dba OR 90cfm depending on voltage... Not both.
That's exactly why I don't want SilenX or Nexus Fans...which I mentioned in the first post.:rolleyes:
They are kinda like those ads you see in Las Vegas...they promise a centerfold but they send you the handicapped older sister. Not what you were looking for, costs just as much, and don't do nearly as good a job.:eek::D

Sounds like the Panaflo's will be my choice for the intakes.:D
Nobody has mentioned anything about the Delta Low speed 3 blade, which has me concerned. Sounds like no-body will even go near them. I'm assuming that Delta is another company that tends to exaggerate their specs, or even their low speed fans are loud as well...:confused:
Everybody keeps recommending Yate Loons because of Price/performance.
I'm not exactly interested in the price...since most fans cost less than $20 anyways.
Nevertheless, you guys have sold me on the Yate Loons for the exhaust fans.

That's not a joke... That's how they rate them. I'm serious. I used to have a sauce for this stat (other than personal testing, which shows they ARE 19dba at 5v in a sound box with an ambient noise level of <17dba, decibelmeter from 1ft, fan in open air) but I can't seem to find it.

18dba at the startup voltage (4.4v... which, btw, only a handful can actually start UP at <5v)

about 90cfm at 13.1v...

FTR: nexus fans ARE cherry picked yate loons. Some yates vary from 26-31dba from 1ft... It's a bit of a random chance.

unds like the Panaflo's will be my choice for the intakes.

Panaflows are great fans. The old standard you could say.

Nobody has mentioned anything about the Delta Low speed 3 blade, which has me concerned. Sounds like no-body will even go near them. I'm assuming that Delta is another company that tends to exaggerate their specs, or even their low speed fans are loud as well...

Delta is a mainly OEM brand. I dislike them due to their higher than normal motor noise. The Powermac G5 uses a special set of 3 blade deltas (rated from 1000 to 6200 rpm :eek:) which are loud, even at a reasonable 1500rpm. Their static pressure is UNRIVELED, but if you're not going with a really restrictive rad, the static pressure goes kinda wasted.

Everybody keeps recommending Yate Loons because of Price/performance.
I'm not exactly interested in the price...since most fans cost less than $20 anyways.
Nevertheless, you guys have sold me on the Yate Loons for the exhaust fans.

Yate loon fans are probably the 2nd to best 120mm fans on the market. 50cfm is more than enough for almost any application, and they've got a high static pressure for almost any application (enough to work as a rad fan, provided you seal around the edges where it meets the radiator body). At 6v they're almost inaudible, measuring a nice 21dba from 1ft (same conditions as above) and they ramp up to 23dba or so at 9v. Most range between 27 and 29dba at 12v, but they don't push much more air... So that noise is kinda wasted.

If you're going with yates, grab an extra few as well... Personal testing from a batch of 300 purchased OEM in 2006 showed that around 8% of them were unusable... Really weird bearing noise from inside. I suspect the sleeve bearing was going because oiling did not help

For the record, they're the only fans I use in the systems I build for people, and they work great as intakes too :p

The key to a good cooling setup is balance. CFM in should equal CFM out... (CFM out can be a tiny bit lower to prevent dust buildup, but I've never been able to actually SEE this in practice) so I'd try to stay as balanced as possible.

The key to a good cooling setup is balance. CFM in should equal CFM out... (CFM out can be a tiny bit lower to prevent dust buildup, but I've never been able to actually SEE this in practice) so I'd try to stay as balanced as possible.

Yup! I've tried positive and negative pressure to see which one worked better and my results didn't improve, my best set up was CFM in ~ CFM out. I never had them exact, but always close. :)

Yup! I've tried positive and negative pressure to see which one worked better and my results didn't improve, my best set up was CFM in ~ CFM out. I never had them exact, but always close. :)

Funny to hear this considering my TJ-09 has 3 x 120mm exhaust and only 1 x 120mm intake which is located in the center of the inside of the case and covered by mesh. Good luck matching cfm to cfm in this case. The case also has vents all over the back to naturally exhaust air without a fan to take it out.

Sanyo Denki!

Bam!

Throw them under a fan controller and you got a really nice (and quiet) fan :D

imma get a few for my computer as soon as they come back in stock, and hopefully have the money then!

That's not a joke... That's how they rate them. I'm serious. I used to have a sauce for this stat (other than personal testing, which shows they ARE 19dba at 5v in a sound box with an ambient noise level of <17dba, decibelmeter from 1ft, fan in open air) but I can't seem to find it.

18dba at the startup voltage (4.4v... which, btw, only a handful can actually start UP at <5v)

about 90cfm at 13.1v...

FTR: nexus fans ARE cherry picked yate loons. Some yates vary from 26-31dba from 1ft... It's a bit of a random chance.

I'm aware it's not a joke; just funny how he thought both were true, HAHA!

Anyway.. yeah, like you said; it's important to have balanced CFM in and out of your case, otherwise you'll get weird hot spots.

Back