120mm fan adaptor for SLK 900A

amohedas

Limp Gawd
I am planning on making an adaptor for my SLK 900A so that I can attach a 120mm fan that pushes as much cfm as a tornado but is a lot quiter. The adaptor I am planning on making out of wood (balsa if possible). Are there any problems with making it out of wood? The plan is to make a funnel type thing that will enable the 120 mm end to convert itslef into the size of the slk 900 heatsink so that no air is wasted like when a fan is attached to the heatsink and the sides overlap.

I am going to run out to Lowes tommorow morning and see if they have some pvc pipe that I may be able to convert into a fan adaptor.

I would really appreicate some other ideas or comments on my plans. I have also had someone else mention that I should just use trapezoidal shaped pieces of plastic and glue them together.

My goal here is to attach the 120mm fan and try and conserve as much cfm and wind speed as possible, any adivce on this will be appreciated.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/duc-13.html

If you could find a way to hold it to the heatsink, you could just use one of those.

Something like this would probably be better as you aren't covering up any of the area where the fan blades are, therefore reducing the restriction of air flow by the adapter.

I assume thats what you're trying to do?

I don't think it's entirely nescessary to run anything more than a moderately powered 92mm fan on this heatsink. On my Tt volcano 7+ it has a 70mm fan pushing something like 59 cfm on high speed. That thing is obnoxiously loud at full speed, but it keeps temps really very low. On high it idles around 33C and load a little less than 40 C on my XP 2000 OC'd to 2.09ghz (stock voltage).

After a bit of research I found that any decent 92mm fan will push a little more than 59 cfm at about 32 db. To me that is very acceptable, as that is what my case fans are rated at. I don't know if you're some kind of silence freak or if you need your computer quiet or something..

Back