120mm Case Fans

402blownstroker

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2012
I am looking for some 120mm case fans that can push a good amount of air without sounding like a jet taking off. I found these Cooler Master ones that can push 69 cfm at 19db. Anyone know of any better ones:

Newegg Link

I don't believe 69 cfm at 19db.

This Noctua is the reigning king of silent/airflow, and they are rated for a more accurate lower CFM than the CM's you linked. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608004

I quote one of the reviewers of the CM's: "Cons: not very silent, i noticed that these 2 fans i purchased are luder than my 120 mm nzxt fan, which is rated at a 26.9 db, coolermaster sickle flow at 19."

I am looking for some 120mm case fans that can push a good amount of air without sounding like a jet taking off. I found these Cooler Master ones that can push 69 cfm at 19db. Anyone know of any better ones:

Newegg Link

Just picked one of the below up in Red and it is all they claim it to be in regards to air flow whether your using it for intake or exhaust:

http://www.tech-kings.net/home/inde...erocool-shark-fan&catid=44:coolilng&showall=1

I got it from Directron since Newegg was out of stock on the red :

http://www.directron.com/en55437.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129059

Using it it as a rear exhaust wired to the NZXT sentry mesh 4 fan controller.

They also sell it in a Black Edition with NO Led`s if you dont care for the lights.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129055

They are a little pricey but well worth every cent IMO !

Regards, ;)

Last edited:
I've currently got 4 Scythe SFLEX E 1200RPM's going in my case. I'd like something quieter and am looking @ the Noiseblocker PL1 and PL2.

Has anyone had these fans and can over a comparison? From what I can tell, the Noiseblockers may be quieter, but sacrifice more airflow. I could probably get away w/ a little less than the E, but not much.

Also, wondering how they do against a heatsink like the VenX.

I've currently got 4 Scythe SFLEX E 1200RPM's going in my case. I'd like something quieter and am looking @ the Noiseblocker PL1 and PL2.

Has anyone had these fans and can over a comparison? From what I can tell, the Noiseblockers may be quieter, but sacrifice more airflow. I could probably get away w/ a little less than the E, but not much.

Also, wondering how they do against a heatsink like the VenX.

I LOVE my S-Flex's. Really disappointed they discontinued them. I've got a couple E's and a couple F's (slowed down to around 1000RPMs). Couldn't be happier with them.

Their a little on the pricey side but Noiseblocker makes an excellent fan, and keep in mind these are PWM's so there are extremely versatile, i.e...I'm using 2 in a push/pull configuration on my H60

http://www.svc.com/nb-m12-p.html

http://www.noiseblocker.de/en/Multiframe120.php

2nd the recommendation on NB multiframe fans. they're brilliant units, arguably one of the best on the market. the full rubber inserts kills any vibration from transferring thru to the case plus have a very good warranty (7 years i believe).

currently have 7 myself (5x 120mm M12-S3HS's & 2x 80mm X2's). 4 of the 120s are on a couple of radiators, 2 of which are 3+years old and still going strong. another plus with these fans it they under-volt well so attaching them to a fan controller and turning them all the way down doesn't present a problem. admittedly they're not cheap but considering the quality and performance, they'll last twice as long as cheaper fans.

the only other fans i'd consider buying are either Noctua or Nidec/Scythe GT fans. i doubt you'll find fans that push as much air... quietly as NB/Noctua/Nidec do.

Last edited:
+1 on the Nidec GT line. Im hooked on them!!
imag0271.jpg

Noctua all the way, although I have read some good things about the fans from Cougar 140mm over the Silverstone AP141's. Still, when it comes to 120mm case fans Noctua is always my choice.

I LOVE my S-Flex's. Really disappointed they discontinued them. I've got a couple E's and a couple F's (slowed down to around 1000RPMs). Couldn't be happier with them.
I guess I could try just lowing the RPM's down a bit. Thanks!

2nd the recommendation on NB multiframe fans. they're brilliant units, arguably one of the best on the market. the full rubber inserts kills any vibration from transferring thru to the case plus have a very good warranty (7 years i believe).

the only other fans i'd consider buying are either Noctua or Nidec/Scythe GT fans. i doubt you'll find fans that push as much air... quietly as NB/Noctua/Nidec do.

Over the PL-1/2's? I read in a couple places they were quieter and had a better noise signature...not sure why if the only difference is the casing. IIRC, xbit labs ran them both @ 1000RPM and measured less db's on the Blacksilent pro's.

Again, going back to the xbit labs review, they measured lower cfm on the Noiseblocker's when compared to the SFLEX E's...same RPM.

To the OP:
Yateloons + fan control on the cheap,
Alternatively, Artic Coolings F12 is suprisingly good for the money. They have pwm fan control, and the pro model allows you to daisy chain them.

If you have the money, by all means pick up the AP-15's... but remember nothing is quiet at 1800 rpm.
Personally I'm allergic to fans running above 1000rpm.

I know it didn't met your criteria regarding with CFM but I have 2 of them installed on my system and they do a good job.

KINGWIN CF-012LB 120mm Case Fan

I also got these in my case. Picked em up from microcenter for $3 a pop. They are near silent but dont push much air. Here is a crude example to give you an idea of how much air they push: I have two of these Kingwins on the top of my as exhaust. Now, if I place a regular 11x8 paper on them, the paper will rise about 2" and then slides off.

I know its a crap example at best, but just wanted to add my 2 cents. :)

First of all, the two review articles from different sites linked below, one of case fans and one of CPU heatsinks, pose diametrically opposite views about whether or not air flow is the key for measuring fan effectiveness. Based on testing, the latter reviewer changed his mind from seeing air flow as key (in an earlier review) and now argues it's actually low priority, that temperature effect in the case is what's key and that it turned out to be largely independent of measured air flow.
- case fan review: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2009/09/28/what-s-the-best-case-fan/
- CPU heatsink review: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1018-page1.html

One case fan in the latter mold (i.e., < CFM than your spec) that's very well liked and quiet is the Scythe Gentle Typhoon series. The 1850rpm is available right now at Amazon, while Scythe says the popular 1450 is coming back in two or three months.

IMO the Noctua has been pushed off the pedestal by the Nidec Gentle Typhoon...when you can find them

Gentle Typhoon AP15's (1850RPM) are in stock at Aquatuning. They are only about $15, too.

The AP15's are one of the best fans when it comes to airflow vs noise (see far left line):
1airnoisesmall.png

6 GT AP15's keep my GPU at 31-32c and my CPU at 24c when just doing things like browsing the internet. They are quiet, move lots of air, and are overall amazing.

You don't need GT's or their high pressure characteristics for case fans. There are plenty of cheaper options that would work just as well as a general duty case fan. Mounted to a heatsink or a radiator the dynamic changes, but as a case fan with little or no restriction, forking over $15+ for a GT seems wasteful.
I like GT's, have 5 of them myself, but all 5 are mounted to my radiators. For case fans, I still use a mixture of Yate Loons, among others.

Fourth recommendation for Noiseblocker PL1 or PL-2 or multiframes. They win every fan round-up they are in for a reason.

I had Gental Typhoon AR15 and Silenx EFX-12-12 both drone a little. Noiseblocker doesnt and being a bearing fan that's rare.

If you can't afford NB Yate Loon low speeds are the best bang for the buck. But they are sleeve bearing and issues will arise after a couple years. So are they really cheaper?

16522606_13_diagr_33dba.png

Last edited:
Gentle Typhoon AP15's. Snip.

Why are you recommending GTs for case fans? They are without a doubt best for HSF or radiator (see your chart) but there are much quieter options for free flow. As in silent.

Why are you recommending GTs for case fans? They are without a doubt best for HSF or radiator (see your chart) but there are much quieter options for free flow. As in silent.

With a fan controller, are there really much quieter options that AP-15's (1850RPM's)? The chart that I linked really helped me in my search for good case fans (even though they the best for rads), since it confirmed some recommendations for the AP-15's received in another thread. I couldn't find a better chart that mentioned those fans, so I thought it would help this guy out. I was ready to spend $15 to get a more quality than $8 Yate Loons. I was not, however, ready to get 6-7 Noiseblockers at $25 ea.

In my personal experience, my 6 AP-15's are working wonders as case fans, and are next to silent with my fan controller, so why not recommend them? Show the guy a chart with AP-15's being bested by Noiseblockers and I'll leave the guy with your recommendation and my regret (jk) ;)

What fan controller do you have with the AP-15. My setup is 3 800RPM Slipstreams in my P182 and another on my TRUE. If the AP-15 are as quiet as the Slipstreams I might put one on my TRUE for more airflow.

I'm using a Lamptron FC Touch (amazing), but haven't actually set the definite auto settings yet. I've been doing a major overhaul on my rig over the last month and things are still getting tweaked. I have 6 AP-15's (as case fans) running through the controller in a Corsair 300R, all currently at 1850RPM's. The speeds will get lowered back down to 1200RPM's via the auto setting, once I get a better CPU heatsink. Even with 6 AP-15's at 1850RPM's my CPU fan is still the only fan emitting a bothersome noise. The rig is built for airflow.

Edit: I just ordered a SM Hyper 212 and will slap my last AP-15 on that. Here's to chilly temps ;)

Last edited:
I'm using a Lamptron FC Touch (amazing), but haven't actually set the definite auto settings yet. I've been doing a major overhaul on my rig over the last month and things are still getting tweaked. I have 6 AP-15's (as case fans) running through the controller in a Corsair 300R, all currently at 1850RPM's. The speeds will get lowered back down to 1200RPM's via the auto setting, once I get a better CPU heatsink. Even with 6 AP-15's at 1850RPM's my CPU fan is still the only fan emitting a bothersome noise. The rig is built for airflow.

Edit: I just ordered a SM Hyper 212 and will slap my last AP-15 on that. Here's to chilly temps ;)

I want to just put one AP-15 on my TRUE and run it 24/7 at 1850RPM. Do they have any motor whine or odd noises at full speed?

I want to just put one AP-15 on my TRUE and run it 24/7 at 1850RPM. Do they have any motor whine or odd noises at full speed?

There's no bothersome sounds at full-speed, no motor whine, no odd noises, just maybe the faint sound of rushing air. I personally love these fans.

if their in your budget, Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120mm, i have 5 of these in my case and they are the quietest fans and push a great amount of air.
i had the SILVERSTONE FN121 fans before my noctuas and i can definitively notice a drop in noise and and increase in airflow.

if their in your budget, Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120mm

100x this. If they're not in you're budget and you don't need fans OMGRIGHTTHISSECOND...save for a week or two and get them.

Back