120mm and 92mm fan suggestions?

khanis

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to replace the noisy Antec TriCool in my P150 case, and I also need 2 92mm fans for intake.

The fans need to be quiet, yet push a decent amount of air to cool some hot components. I need my case to be able to cool a Phenom II X4 and a 4870/4890.

Help!

If you're looking for a cheap solution, Yate Loon D12SL-12 fans should suffice. Be sure to get genuine ones from Petra's.

I would stay away from Silverstone fans, never had any luck with them. Nexus, S-Flex and Kama Flex are your best bet for 92mm, they are also great in 120mm, if you want cheap the Slipstream fans are good for the price so long as they are not being mounted horizontal. YL are good but they seem to be hit or miss, and you are going to need a controller for them, as stock speed is 1,200rpm+ and I am guessing your TriCools are on low setting as it is so the YL fans at 12V are going to seem quite loud.

120mm:

Slipstream

S-FLEX

92mm:

S-FLEX

Nexus

For 120mm, Antec's tri cool are nice.

As he said in his first post, he is replacing the TriCool's.

The fans need to be quiet, yet push a decent amount of air
Moving air produces always noise, differences in that aren't big except for plain bad products.
For having both very low noise and high airflow you need to control fan's speed basing to need.

And Tricool is plain mediocre so Nexus/S-Flex etc have better noise per airflow and SPCR's current champion SlipStream plain crushes it.
At what speed you're running them?
For low setting they have: 20 dBA@1m 870rpm 21cfm
SlipStream L (800rpm) does better: 19 dBA@1m 770rpm 24cfm
At Medium: 27 dBA@1m 1430rpm 36cfm
SlipStream M (1200rpm): 28 dBA@1m 1210rpm 46cfm
(24 dBA@1m/37cfm @9V)

Another vote for the Scythe S-Flex series.

Personally, I don't care for intake fans, as they tend to be louder. If you have exhaust fans, the air will still come through the intakes. That's how I see it anyway.

im in a similar boat as OP,, ive been meaning to replace my dying yate loon @ 1200 rpm with new fans on my CM690.. ive been tinkering with these configs after reading this thread

setup A
-Slipstream SY1225SL12M exhaust and intake
-S-Flex SFF21E on top

setup B
-S-Flex SFF21E (intake, exhaust, top)

setup C
-NOCTUA NF-S12 / P12 (intake, exhaust, top)

setup D
-Nexus D12SL-12 (intake, exhaust, top)

things to consider i still have grills on my exhaust and my intake has a filter... i just cant decide.. id like to try the scythe fans as ive read great things about them and i mean the yate loons have been working well for me in the past...any suggestions would be appreciated..

I've always liked Noctua and Nexus, just pick some fans of the appropriate size from their line up.

I would +1 the Nexus fans. When I had my 'silent build' I had a single 120mm Nexus fan that kept my entire case cool. Other than my power supply, it was the only fan in my case. I just had a crappy heatsink on my Athlon x2, and my 8600GT had a heatsink as well. The Nexus fan kept the entire case temps low enough to be safe while running F@H 24/7 :)

Here's a link to a great site if you're looking for high quality silent parts:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/

Back