120Mhz work using the DVI connection on a 7970 card?

eclypse

2[H]4U
Needing to know if i can get 120Hertz out of the DVI connection on a 7970? Want to run 1920x1080 at 120 refresh rate.. with all the talk about the connections not doing 120Hertz unless using the display port, i'm confused.

I have 3x 3D Acer monitors that only have HDMI and DVI dual port connections.. wanting to run all 3 screens off of either 3-4 7970s.

Thinking about upgrading from my GTX580 Quad SLI.

Last edited:
Alright so i take it you must run all the monitor connections off of 1 card regardless if you have 2-4 cards installed. So can you get 3 monitors to run 120Htz in eyefinity if i have 3 monitors that use DVI-D connections for 120 refresh rate?

Come on guys! 4 7970 cards are waiting for me at Microcenter and all i need to hear is that i can run the monitors i have at 120hz.

Yes you can. The only port on the 7970 that you cannot run 120Hz is HDMI.
If you have three DVI-D and HDMI monitors, you can run one directly to the DVI-D port but you will need active (expensive) DP to DVI-D adapters for the other two.

Yes you can. The only port on the 7970 that you cannot run 120Hz is HDMI.
If you have three DVI-D and HDMI monitors, you can run one directly to the DVI-D port but you will need active (expensive) DP to DVI-D adapters for the other two.

Any idea where one could buy the active DP to DVI-D Adapters???

Thanks for the response!

Make sure you use a DVI-D cable if you use DVI for video.

Has to have full pins on the port otherwise it will only do 60hz.

Make sure you use a DVI-D cable if you use DVI for video.

Has to have full pins on the port otherwise it will only do 60hz.

Do they have active ones?? cause i i could find are cheap non active adapters there.

That I cant answer, I just know ALL of my 15 DVI Cables I had laying around were not DVI-D.

I had to go buy an extra DVI-D cable from amazon because I bought my 120hz monitor used and It wasnt included.

Ok sweet! Now go with 3 of those adapaters to make sure the single is all the same sync (timing) or is it perfectly fine to use 1 DVI and 2 mini to DVI adapters? No want no stuttering.

Already am using 3 DVI-D dual link cables on the monitors now connected to my Quad 580 SLI to the 3 Acer 3D 120Hz monitors so i'm all set with that.

At any place where overpriced computer cables are sold other than Bestbuy. Amazon usually has them. It has been a long time since I checked, but at one point powered, active adapters were about $100 each

Thanks for the responses guys.. now to let the wife in on what i've been playing the past couple of days. $4000 upgrade wont sound good but i'll have to start out at $1300+ it would be after selling off the current gear haha.

Wish a fellow computer junky luck.

Back