120Hz missing on startup (GTX 680 & Samsung S27A750D)

[D]razio

n00b
Practically every other time I start my computer I lose the option for 120Hz. All that is listed in NVCP & monitor properties is 100Hz.

This doesn't seem like a big deal losing 20Hz, but BF3 acts weird at 100Hz. The screen stays black longer when spawning and before dying the screen flashes black & green.

Further Info
-301.24 Beta Drivers (issue occurs on 301.32 beta drivers as well)
-DisplayPort cable came with monitor.
-Sometimes 120Hz stays for a couple startups than suddenly it's missing. Usually takes another 4 restarts to get 120Hz back.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I know it may be just due to these drivers being in beta, but I'd would like to know if Nvidia is aware of this issue by the time the WHQL's are out.

I had a display port on my old ATI 5870's a few years ago when I ran 3 monitors in crossfire (They were all 120Mhz Acer monitors) In the beginning, I had a passive displayport that was plugged into USB only. This caused the monitor to act flaky (same exact issue as you) and not always have an active connection between the card and monitor. I just use to shut down and and it would come back. Rebooting never worked.

I purchased an active display port adapter that pluged into USB and a power brick so it would maintain 120Mhz connection. I eventually gave up the triple monitor and went to a 30 inch, but still maintain a 23 inch 120Mhz that I play BF3 on. I now use a DVI-D cable. If your monitor supports that, I suggest you get it...

@evilsofa - Those discussing on that forum are referring to DisplayPort being non-functional with current 301.10 WHQL drivers.

301.24 Beta drivers has brought support for DisplayPort, but at it's current state it won't hold 120Hz (beta bug?).

Sometimes my monitor will only list 100Hz being available in NVCP. Other times both 120Hz & 100Hz is listed.

@the cobra - Those active display port adapters are pretty pricy (~$100) and I'm not sure if that's the problem..maybe still driver related.

It'd be cool if someone with the same monitor and a GTX 680 would come forward and tell me whether they too are experiencing the same thing.

~cheers.

eVGA GTX680 + S27A750D w/301.24 Beta Drivers here, no problems of 100hz that i know about; I always check the display information to make sure its running at 120hz. I can check more tonight when I get off work.

no issues here with 120hz on mine. Sound like a monitor driver is missing.

I am having a slightly similar problem where the monitor isnt getting a signal at all on reboot. Simply unplugging the power cable from the back and pluggin it back in without touching anything else fixes the problem.

Try this and see if it redetects your screen as 120hz.

Same setup here. I haven't looked to see if I'm only getting 100hz, but with vsync enabled i'm getting 60fps so I just assumed it was half of 120. I'll have to check that out now.

Same monitor, same problems. 120Hz is awesome, but the monitor is really starting to piss me off. Have to reset configuration every start up, 100Hz vs 120Hz, Display is not in Optimum Mode once a day... :mad:

Same monitor, same problems. 120Hz is awesome, but the monitor is really starting to piss me off. Have to reset configuration every start up, 100Hz vs 120Hz, Display is not in Optimum Mode once a day... :mad:

I don't have the 100hz problem but I do have to agree with you on the monitor pissing you off; This is the most problematic monitor I have to date(lost of signal, backlight issues). I'm definitely looking to purchase a new monitor in the near future to replace this one.

I have the monitor drivers installed already and it still happens.

Typically the first boot it will be stuck at 100Hz than I only have to restart once for 120Hz to show up. On occasion it takes up to 4.

Aside from being the most finicky monitor I have ever owned it is still the best monitor I have ever owned. Prior to this I had a Dell 3007WFP, definitely a step up in overall sharpness and fluidity with 120Hz.

-_- Although if this isn't fixed I may just replace it for a S27A950D and stick with DVI...

Back