120hz + Lightboost Monitor Deal - Should I buy now or wait?

song414

Limp Gawd
I am looking to purchase the Asus VG278HE. I want to get a display specifically for FPS's and games and prefer 120hz + lightboost over 1440p.

Now I can get the VG278HE on Newegg today only for $355 shipped. Asus released this monitor 13 months ago and now I feel a new one should be on the horizon soon. I don't wanna buy this then get hit with a much better monitor announcement. I am looking for 27" or larger with 120hz + lightboost. Currently have 2x 7950's as my video card setup.

Should I wait or buy now?

I'm expecting UHD monitors out soon and with that I'm expecting significant price cuts or discounts on the last of the 2560 x 1440 IPS monitors. I expect the new choice to be 1080p or UHD. Whether this also applies to the lightboost market and not just IPS monitors...no idea. Lenovo just came out with a hi res screen on the W540 2880x1620 in a 15.5" screen or somthing along those lines. Apple "Retina" displays are not going to be the only high res screens for long. Monitors have stagnated for YEARS and it looks like that is finally changing starting in late 2013 and throughout 2014.

I'd convinced myself earlier this summer I was going to get a cheap Korean 27" after hearing about how great they were...but I kept looking and looking for a good one and everything I saw worried me so I held off to do additional research on name brand monitors and see what I could really get at a higher price, but I wasn't using my computer much during summer so never purchased. Now it's so close to that next cycle of equipment that I'm just going to wait for the Dell UHD screen to get announced and then likely decide between that (likely too $$$ for me) and a U3014 or U2713H.

In the meantime if I see another $600 sale on a U3014 like Dell had a while back...I'll probably just grab it anyways.

I'm expecting UHD monitors out soon and with that I'm expecting significant price cuts or discounts on the last of the 2560 x 1440 IPS monitors. I expect the new choice to be 1080p or UHD. Whether this also applies to the lightboost market and not just IPS monitors...no idea.
Just so you know,
LightBoost is just an nVidia brand name for just one strobe backlight technology.

nVidia -- has "LightBoost" for their strobe backlight. (the one we know and love)
Sony -- has "Motionflow Impulse" for their strobe backlight (a "Game Mode"-compatible Motionflow in their newer television models)
Eizo -- has "Blur Reduction" with their FDF2405W strobe backlight (speciality / satellite mapping monitor)

(These are the known high-efficiency strobe backlights compatible with games/computers)

Back