120Hz HDTV and HDMI issue

pcjunkie

2[H]4U
Question for all you TV guru's out there. I previously had a 720P Plasma TV that displayed fine through HDMI from my pc. Fast forward to today and I just purchased a Samsung Smart TV with clear view 240 or whatever its called, that's 120Hz actual.

Problem I'm having since I go through HDMI (there is no VGA output on this TV) is I'm only getting 60Hz (I know that is all I'll get) at 1080P and it look like ass at its native 1080P but not 120Hz. Fonts are goofy and colors bright and washed out like its running in a non-native resolution. Is there any way to adjust windows or driver settings to clear this up better? Should I try the second HDMI out or try DVI out to HDMI on my video card, maybe its a specific out port? Don't think that will help but whatever works. I have a GTX 580 but the same thing on my R9 270...any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I don't think the TV will do native 120hz. That's usually marketing BS about settings like CMR and other things that tend to make everything look "fake" or have that soapopera effect. Infact as soon as you enable PC/Gaming mode, most of those settings get locked out.

My Samsung 6350 claims to support 120hz, but you can't run that refresh rate on any of the inputs. Even if you try to force it via an override tool

I don't think the TV will do native 120hz. That's usually marketing BS about settings like CMR and other things that tend to make everything look "fake" or have that soapopera effect. Infact as soon as you enable PC/Gaming mode, most of those settings get locked out.

My Samsung 6350 claims to support 120hz, but you can't run that refresh rate on any of the inputs. Even if you try to force it via an override tool

Its model UN60H6203AFXZA so I'm pretty sure it's native 120Hz and fake 240 but I could be wrong. Either way I'm wondering if its normal to have that kind of issue with TV's above 60Hz? I do have that clear motion turned off by the way.

HDMI can't transmit above 60hz @1080p. Need to use dual link dvi or displayport.

HDMI can't transmit above 60hz @1080p. Need to use dual link dvi or displayport.

Let me clarify that I know you can't do more than 60HZ over HDMI but are there some driver settings or adjustments (font or color) that I can do to clear up the 2D on the TV when using my pc?

Just looking for some guidance here...

Last edited:
Sorry about that I forgot to check the thread! It will typically appear like that if you have it set above 60hz on HDMI, which is why I mentioned it. So if you set it to 120, it'll still display, just all corrupted looking.

Back