120Hz - 90-130FPS Question

Grimmy311

Limp Gawd
I'm sure this has been asked before and let me apologize in advance, I wasn't really sure how to word the search and I couldn't find anything specifically to answer my question.

I understand that a 120Hz monitor can run lets say BF3 at 120FPS, my question is if during the game your FPS drops below 120 will you experience mouse lag or tearing?

Thanks guys,

I have a 27in Asus 120hz, I have not seen/noticed tearing on my games. I haven;t tried it on BF3 though.

Only when my games dip to around the 60-70 fps range, do I sense lag. Other than that, my games run buttery smooth at 120hz with lightboost.

is lightboost something you can enable on the Benq? I've tried to read on it, but don't really understand exactly what its doing.

is lightboost something you can enable on the Benq? I've tried to read on it, but don't really understand exactly what its doing.
LightBoost reduces motion blur by precisely strobing the backlight once per refresh at 120Hz.

It eliminates eye-tracking based motion blur that's a problem on most LCD displays:
ANIMATION of eye-tracking blur: www.testufo.com/#test=eyetracking (view in Chrome browser)

The flicker effect is well-known to reduce motion blur (since the CRT days).
ANIMATION of strobing to get less blur: www.testufo.com/#test=blackframes (view in Chrome browser)

Fortunately, LightBoost strobes 120Hz instead of 30Hz, so the flicker is not noticeable to most people. It's roughly equivalent to a 120Hz CRT.
If you got a supported BENQ monitor (XL2411 series, XL2420 series, and XL2720 series), instructions are at www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/howto

Screen tearing occurs when your frame rate exceeds the monitor's refresh rate. You will not experience tearing at rates below 120fps. If your system is having trouble running the game, you may experience frame stutter issues, etc though that will not be due to the monitor.

You shouldn't experience "lag" because of the monitor's refresh rate either, as that is a separate issue. Input lag occurs with throughput restrictions of the hardware associated with displaying content. Again, if your system is having trouble running a game (for myriad reasons) then you may experience lag. But your display won't give you lag dependent on refresh rates.

Screen tearing occurs when your frame rate exceeds the monitor's refresh rate. You will not experience tearing at rates below 120fps.
Actually, tearing depends on the human sensitivity to see it. I see tearing at both above and below the refresh rate. Even at 119fps@120Hz, and even at 121fps@120Hz, I can see tearing.

I can still see tearing even still to 300fps, though it does begin to become less noticeable than at lower framerates. (Many tiny micro-offset tearlines versus fewer large-offset tearlines)

Last edited:
Screen tearing occurs when your frame rate exceeds the monitor's refresh rate. You will not experience tearing at rates below 120fps. If your system is having trouble running the game, you may experience frame stutter issues, etc though that will not be due to the monitor.

You shouldn't experience "lag" because of the monitor's refresh rate either, as that is a separate issue. Input lag occurs with throughput restrictions of the hardware associated with displaying content. Again, if your system is having trouble running a game (for myriad reasons) then you may experience lag. But your display won't give you lag dependent on refresh rates.
that is 100% wrong. I have to wonder why people spread this myth about no tearing below refresh rate. all it takes is one remotely good eye to clearly see there can be tearing at any framerate. every game is different but the games that I see the most tearing in are actually the ones with the lowest framerates.

Back