120GB Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 2.5" SSD $70

Happy00000

Limp Gawd
120GB Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) is $70 now at amazon.

Linky.

It's the best price I've seen for this drive.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
FWIW, Amazon is matching Newegg's promo on the same drive. Both have it at 69.99, in case one store doesn't charge tax for someone.

Too many recent complaints about newer firmware on drives coming from China resulting in abysmal R/W speeds... I'll pass.

I put a pair of these in for ZFS ZIL purposes back in October when these hit $80. Does the job, although wayyy more space than needed.

thanks
Grabbed the 60GB version for $49.99.

Per Kingston: Drives with firmware version 505 or 506 both meet advertised specifications. The firmware version has no bearing on the speed of the drive and drives typically ship with the latest firmware that has been qualified.

Staples has there for about $119, I'm going to try and have them price match amazon and try using either a 30 off coupon or a 20 off, whichever I can find first

Per Kingston: Drives with firmware version 505 or 506 both meet advertised specifications. The firmware version has no bearing on the speed of the drive and drives typically ship with the latest firmware that has been qualified.
Per too many users too ignore, the 506 firmware drives appear to be manufacturered in a different facility entirely, and may even be bait and switch internal hardware change as the measured speeds differ greatly from early production units and current ones.

You can always ship it back free with prime, but certainly shady.

I noticed bait and switch happening more and more often now. I bought a air purifier when it first hit the market, then a year later thought I'd buy a second. Turns out it was clearly decontented, with the idea being that online reviews will all be positive and then later they can switch to a cheaper supplier.

I put a pair of these in for ZFS ZIL purposes back in October when these hit $80. Does the job, although wayyy more space than needed.
I dunno, I thought so at first too. But once you start installing a lot of games and some bigger programs and what not, you can fill up a 250gb drive in no time. I just updated my 250gb 830 to a 750gb 840 for that reason, now that they are cheaper.

I noticed that drive performance and reliability seem to be improved when an SSD has around 25% free space too... not sure if its BS or not... but food for thought.

Originally 28% was reserved for "free space", filling up the dives slows them down. Current "free space" is usually 7-0%.

Back