120 mm fan advise?

RAD

Limp Gawd
Hey gang. Many of the fans in my current case are starting hit end of life noisiness/rattling and I was hoping I could get some advise from folks on replacement fans. I have previously been using Scythe Slipstreams, which were nice and quiet and pushed an acceptable amount of air but I am not in love with their short lifespans. If anyone has a better suggestion I would be happy to hear it.

I am currently using a CM 690 case and am really not excited about the idea of having to replace some of the top mounted exhaust fans. Their locations couldn't be more inconvenient, they are tucked around and behind the CPU HSF and I am not quite sure yet how I am going to get at them without removing the HSF/motherboard entirely. When building this machine I put the fans in before the mobo (of course). I am really willing to place a premium on lifespan over cost just to prevent the irritation of having to deal with this again any time soon.

Here is roughly what I am looking for (based on advertised specs off the Slip Streams for performance comparisons):

Cost: Less than $30 per fan.
RPM: 1200 ±10% RPM
Air Flow: 68.54 CFM
Noise Level: 24.00 dBA
Lifespan: As long as freakin' possible.
Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25mm

Thanks for your time and advise.

ap-14 or ap-15 gentle typhoons are god tier, but good luck finding them in stock

I wetn to Gentle Typhoons and was unhappy. I have moved to Arctic cooling in a PWM chain and it has been the best setup so far. They all throttle up or down off of one PWM header which most motherboards give you some control over. I have them all run about 800 RPM When the machine is at idle or under light load. They all throttle up when needed. Loving this setup. They are also FDB bearing and I beleive have a 5 year warranty.

Do you have a specific model number or link to what you are using Copyright?

Arctic Cooling I think its F3 OR F4
SPCR likes Nexus I use the Real Silent D12SL-12 PWM series 500-2000 rpm 76 cfm. about $14 3 year warranty
I like Yate Loon for an inexpensive 12 cm fan 12SL12 (SM, SH) for about $8 each. Yate Loon Alienware 12BL-12 and 12BM-12 have been turning up too S= Sleeve B= Ball bearings
I don't think the SL 's are rated 68 cfm though.
Gelid Silent 12 has 5 year warranty, Silent 12 PWM 750-1500 RPM rated 58 cfm static pressure 1.6 mmAq under $10 when I bought some.
Noctua are very good but expensive.
T B Silent (thermaltake?) get mention on line.

Last edited:
Good grief they are hard to find. Are they no longer actively manufactured or something?

I found them at superbiiz, made the order, FIVE DAYS LATER, they email me telling they were out of stock. fastest I've ever canceled an order.

the arctic's look nice, next time I need a fan I think I'm trying them out.

Do you have a specific model number or link to what you are using Copyright?

I use a mixture of hte only two 120mm PWM they have. The one wiht the open cage design I use an exhaust fan and really love it. Moves a good amount of air with little noise. The others I use for intake fans that have the normal fan design. These things are cheap too.

i just got the previously mentioned Gelid Silent 12 PWM fans

they are pretty damn silent (at low rpms) and not too bad even if the ramp up to the 1400~ish max rpm

nicely sleeved cables and come with rubber anti vibration mounts (no screws or molex connectors included however btw)

if you don't have PWM header there is also a temp sensing varible speed model and also a 1k rpm 3 pin model as well.

Back