120 hz IPS panel?

DarkSideA8

Gawd
I'm looking to replace a CRT. Of the monitors I've looked at, I like the IPS panels the best (I do some CAD as part of my business). But I still play the occasional game of BFBC2 - and have heard the slow response time of IPS panels would make that not so fun.

I've also read an AnandTech article that makes it seem that 120 hz panels make regular gaming on a TN panel more enjoyable - so the question is -
would a 120 hz IPS panel be a decent monitor to play the odd FPS - and are there any out there?

To my knowledge there isn't any 120hz IPS panel, there is 120hz TN panel.

1. Current CRT?
2. Gaming resolution/hz?
3. Gaming settings (high details -> low fps)
4. vsync on or off?

If it's a cheap CRT running at less than 100hz and you game at high details on your current PC with vsync on, you aren't likely to be the target audience for a 120hz TN display. In this case you may well benefit from the better image quality of a 60hz IPS screen.

I too am considering replacing my CRT with a flatscreen display of any type.

I am looking to replace:
1. DELL CRT maxing out at 150hz
2. Running games like Quake at 100fps (capped to the 100hz refresh i configured) for non forced vsync.
3. Run high end games up to high detail (50-100FPS)
4. 1600x1400 or higher res in most games

I have quite a powerful computer and I would not like to lose any frames to a delayed display.

Millisecond comparisons in photographs is the real way to test this!

SUPER IMPORTANT DISPLAY COMPARE!

as another note: Does anyone know of a site that is dedicated to displays and their response/refresh rates?

sadbuttrue said:
1. Current CRT?
2. Gaming resolution/hz?
3. Gaming settings (high details -> low fps)
4. vsync on or off?

If it's a cheap CRT running at less than 100hz and you game at high details on your current PC with vsync on, you aren't likely to be the target audience for a 120hz TN display. In this case you may well benefit from the better image quality of a 60hz IPS screen.

My CRT is an old ViewSonic 19" A91f+. I typically run 1280 x 1084 at 75 hz (it will handle higher res- and I've used that in some games); generally I set the details as high as my 4850 will run the game with a playable framerate. Same with the desktop - any higher and it gets too hard to read fonts. Some games I run vsync - other times not.

Mainly I'm looking for more screen real-estate for my design work. Having a larger screen for the occasional game would be a plus too - but I'm worried that the tearing, judder and ghosting I've read about with some LCD displays will be more distracting than its worth when shifting from a CRT to an LCD screen.

Why do you say that running a game at high details at less than 100hz makes it unlikely for me to be the target of a 120 hz TN display?

Ghosting - not really an issue these days
Motion blur - inherent to all tfts due to sample-hold, but most people can't see it
Tearing - if you run with vsync on there will be none
Judder - fps related, not monitor

120hz displays are mostly aimed at demanding fps gamers. If you've never felt the need to game at a lower resolution to get a higher refresh rate, and lower details to maintain a higher fps, then you may as well stick with a 60hz IPS. Further, your current system will unlikely get anywhere near the 120fps needed to make a 120hz monitor worthwhile.

Look for a decent 22-24" IPS monitor would be my recommendation. Try and see some in action first if possible.

Thanks.

Seeing one in action is looking to be a problem. I can't find any stores around here that carry IPS monitors (BB only has TN, etc.) The IPS panel I liked was in my cousin's office - he's a professional writer / photographer. I didn't get to see any games on it - but it was a noticeably nicer display than his co-worker's TN monitor.

I'm planning to upgrade the vid card this year anyway - esp with a new monitor.

The reason I asked about the 120 hz is that it seemed (at least from the AT article) that the increased refresh rate might mitigate some of the problems I've read about related to IPS and slow response times...

In that case: I'd like a recommendation for a good 23-25 inch (22 is too small) IPS monitor with a decent gtg response time - any suggestions?

Last edited:
The reason I asked about the 120 hz is that it seemed (at least from the AT article) that the increased refresh rate might mitigate some of the problems I've read about related to IPS and slow response times...

120 hz rate doesn't cause slow response times to go away, it's actually the other way around. A monitor has to have fast response time in order to achieve 120 hz refresh rate. This is why there are no 120 hz IPS panels now and probably in the near future.

120 hz rate doesn't cause slow response times to go away, it's actually the other way around. A monitor has to have fast response time in order to achieve 120 hz refresh rate. This is why there are no 120 hz IPS panels now and probably in the near future.

both things have nothing to do with each other
response time only has the be low for 3d with shutter glasses to work
technically we could have a 1000hz ips/pva right now

It's frustrating not to be able to do side-by-side comparisons in a store... All I have to go on is reviews:rolleyes:

The U2311 is a good 23" IPS monitor. Low input lag too for gaming.

It is 16:9 if that bothers you though.

I feel ya.....I'm still on my 20" NEC 20WMGX2 that I've had for 5 years now.

,,,It is 16:9 if that bothers you though.

Until recently, I never really thought about it - except that my parents have a 24 inch HP knock-off that is 16:10 and an Asus 16:9. They HATE the Asus - primarily b/c they prefer the 16:10 form factor - and the color is simply better on the HP knock-off.

After looking at both side by side - I have to admit I like the 16:10 much better myself.

I'm down to dithering between the HP ZR24W and the Dell U2410. They get great reviews, are both 16:10, etc. etc.

Just dropping $400-500 for something sight unseen is a bit daunting.

Until recently, I never really thought about it - except that my parents have a 24 inch HP knock-off that is 16:10 and an Asus 16:9. They HATE the Asus - primarily b/c they prefer the 16:10 form factor - and the color is simply better on the HP knock-off.

After looking at both side by side - I have to admit I like the 16:10 much better myself.

I'm down to dithering between the HP ZR24W and the Dell U2410. They get great reviews, are both 16:10, etc. etc.

Just dropping $400-500 for something sight unseen is a bit daunting.

Well, the U2411 is wide-gamut, which can make colours appear over saturated (think nuclear greens and neon reds) if that bothers you as well :p

I think LCD best bets for true 120hz is definitely TN panel based. A lot of the new IPS + 120hz monitors aren't true 120hz nor are they 'affordable', they cost USD 1,000+

Back