120 Hz IPS Holy Grail incoming from Mitsubishi (MDT231WG)

Michaelius

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.prad.de/new/news/shownews_tft3823.html

Looks like first 120 Hz IPS screen is going to be released soon :D

What was in the press release
120 hz 1920x1080 LED IPS
178 degree viewing angle
350 cd/m^2 brightness
900:1 static contrast
5000:1 dynamic contrast
2.1 sound system
pivot capable, height adjustable

2x HDMI, DVI-D, D-sub

Just a little small problem :
118k Yen = 1050 euro price on preorder

Why couldn't it be 1920x1200?! Then it really would be the Holy Grail of displays.

Its a "fake" 120hz monitor that uses interpolation. Big let down.

Isn't that how most of the touted bullshit 120hz tv's are doing it? My understanding was they aren't TRUE 120hz at the source correct? or am I mistaken? Yes I'm with Dan, my next screen will most likely be a true 120hz 30" panel at 2560 x 1600.

Edit: Only difference I'm sure dan will be looking to do surround (3 screens) lol. I will not since I'm too much of an FPS/ AA hoe to most likely ever do that. However I might give 3d vision a try at some point. I'm not one of those people that could ever settle for 30-40 fps to keep all the eye candy maxed jut to play at like 5000+ res heh. I rather game at 1080P or 2560 res will everything maxed and high quality AA with frames to spare out of my ass hehe.

Isn't that how most of the touted bullshit 120hz tv's are doing it? My understanding was they aren't TRUE 120hz at the source correct? or am I mistaken? Yes I'm with Dan, my next screen will most likely be a true 120hz 30" panel at 2560 x 1600.

Edit: Only difference I'm sure dan will be looking to do surround (3 screens) lol. I will not since I'm too much of an FPS/ AA hoe to most likely ever do that. However I might give 3d vision a try at some point. I'm not one of those people that could ever settle for 30-40 fps to keep all the eye candy maxed jut to play at like 5000+ res heh. I rather game at 1080P or 2560 res will everything maxed and high quality AA with frames to spare out of my ass hehe.

For TV's it depends. The newer 3D sets (at least for LCDs) can't be using an interpolation method to produce the output required for the active shutter glasses , the sets have to output at least (with 24p movies) a double 120hz signal to correctly display the output to each 3D lens on the glasses.

For PC gaming the 120hz monitors we've come to expect are a true 120hz frequency with zero interpolation. Just like an old fashioned CRT that could output that refresh rate , which makes it superior to the standard 60hz and allows for 3D gaming.

However no one has announced anything but TN panels which is a major bummer for those of us that give 2 shits about PQ. Perhaps in the near future.

They don't give a shit.

its not that they dont give a shit - its that they arent going to pour money into r&d and manufacturing for 10 of us eggheads :)

do you honestly think your average gamer is going to spend twice or even three times the amount on a different panel type or a few features that in the end dont cover the price difference

here's an example - current 23.6" 120hz - TN panel displays are about $300 ... give or take

what everyone is begging for is 27" - 120hz - 16:10 - IPS panel

now let's say that would run you $2700 [its not out of reason, the first 30" monitors were that much and more, and that 23" 'fake' 120hz ips panel from mitsubishi is over $1500]

so, which one of you would pony up the near 3 grand for that display? i know i wouldnt... and i'd be willing to bet less than 1% of us would...

so what would be the point of spending gobs of money on making and marketing it if, in the real world its not going to sell?

How blind are you guys that NEED a 27"-30" monitor 2 ft from your face? I guess you guys like gaming as if its a tennis match lol

Also just give up on the 16:10 thing, God you guys dont stop crying for it but everyone is moving to HD 1920x1080 and its probably not gonna change!! It also makes it easier getting higher hz and frames on the lower res.

Some of us do more on our computers than play games... it's not about the area of the screen, it's about the number of pixels in that space.

Besides, when we do game, some of us look for immersion. It's why techs like Eyefinity, NVIDIA Surround and hell even amBX were developed.

I also tend to sit more than two feet away from my screens...

imagine your head going from left to right and right to left and back, such as at a tennis game, he is implying that your screen is so big you must do the same :)

How blind are you guys that NEED a 27"-30" monitor 2 ft from your face? I guess you guys like gaming as if its a tennis match lol

Also just give up on the 16:10 thing, God you guys dont stop crying for it but everyone is moving to HD 1920x1080 and its probably not gonna change!! It also makes it easier getting higher hz and frames on the lower res.

Have you even USED a 30" display? Try one out and then let me know how "crappy" it is. It isn't a tennis match at all - it makes for a very immersive experience.

While I prefer 16:10 I am more concerned about the 27"+ 1080P displays coming out since the pixels are giant size - not exactly great for a computer monitor. Sigh.

imagine your head going from left to right and right to left and back, such as at a tennis game, he is implying that your screen is so big you must do the same :)

ah... got cha!

kinda makes sense... in a way...

the only reason im moving from 1600p to 1080p is cause i want to explore 120hz and 3d gaming...

in the past few years ive gamed on:
24" @ 1200p
eyefinity @ 3600x1600
37" @ 1080p
30" @ 1600p

none of which included excessive head moving / maybe deepinya [really... deepinya?] needs to sit a little farther back during tennis matches :)

man another interpolated 120hz screen? am i the only one who frequents the display subforum only to see nothing new? where are the 120hz led backlit ips monitors...all these manufacturers need to pull their head out of their respective rears and make some solid screens. imagine if they made a monitor of that extreme caliber and sold it for $600...they'd make a killing.

glad someone was smart enough to figure it out :p

Have you even USED a 30" display? Try one out and then let me know how "crappy" it is. It isn't a tennis match at all - it makes for a very immersive experience.

While I prefer 16:10 I am more concerned about the 27"+ 1080P displays coming out since the pixels are giant size - not exactly great for a computer monitor. Sigh.

Why did you quote the word crappy? Yes Ive tried a 27" (friends) and its way too big for a computer desk (for me). Never a tried a 30" though.

Most desks are what...2-3ft deep? I have a 37" TV in my kitchen and anything closer than 5ft is "holy shit way too close"

I guess if people xbox or ps3 on it they do sit further away and 120hz would friggin rock.

Back