12.8 driver concern (They are terrible)

4LC4PON3

DERP!
I am concerned about the 12.8 drivers but this is just MY experience and maybe others have or have not had any issues with them. I did a fresh install on a brand new SSD and about 5-10 minutes in a game I heard my GPU fan start doing some weired jitter spin and then it just stopped completely. I immediately shut down the game and looked at temps 99c

Then all of a sudden the fan kicked back in and worked. I figured ok thats odd I did a fresh install again after completely uninstalling the drivers manually and reinstalled the 12.8 drivers this time I used 12.8 with CAPS 3 and the same thing happened. about 5 mins into a game my GPU fan stopped and I did the same thing as before and it was 95c. then once the card started to cool alittle the fan kicked back in.

I was not using any AB or Trixx when this happened. I unistalled 12.8 completely and installed the 12.7 Modded drivers from Benchmark3d and I have not seen this issue since and its been 2-3 days now playing 1-2 hours of BF3 and assassins creed.

Just a fair warning to anyone as this was MY experience only. 12.8 drivers at least for my Rig sucks and damn near burnt up my 7970

Edit: I have also noticed that while using 12.8 driver I was getting weired texture flickering and a few of my friends have experienced artifacts that they did not see in 12.7

Last edited:
They work great for me, not to be a dick I just want to point out that "they are terrible" isnt the case for everyone.

Anyway have you tried rolling back to an earlier driver set.
Or reinstalling the current set. Maybe your system has some other issue thats mucking things up.

I have been currently running the modded 12.7 drivers from benchmark3d for the last 4 days now with this exact visiontek 7970 and I have had zero issues with my fan on this card since. When I tested the 12.8s this was almost 5 days ago so I dont think the fan is dying. The 7970 is brand new about 1 1/2 weeks old

I understand that everyones experience is different but for myself I found 12.8s to not work well at all. Some people have no issues but there are alot of users that I have read on other forums such as OCN that state they are now seeing artifacts, Black Screens, Driver crashes. I seem to the the only one that has had my gpu fan stop twice and 2 installations of the drivers.

12.7s run fantastic. 12.8s for me at least did not work well

Try running overdrive with manual fan control.
12.8 run great for me.

Last edited:
I went back to 12.6 have a 5770 and 12.8 gave me tons of crashes I use driver sweeper to uninstall drivers correctly it's 100% a 12.8 problem.

No i just kept getting random crashes and ccc has stopped working crashes flickering etc in games.
Not a single blip since going back to 12.6 your problem is more than likely a bios issue which will be fixed.

Occasionally when I power on my side monitors one will drop out (all 3 connect via. DP). A simple power cycle on one of the monitors fixes it. This had not happened in several driver revisions. Other than that minor annoyance these drivers have been great on my 6950 CF/eyefinity setup. I've been using AMD cards for the past few years and honestly haven't had driver problems yet with either my 5870 or my 6950 cf setup.

I went back to 12.6 have a 5770 and 12.8 gave me tons of crashes I use driver sweeper to uninstall drivers correctly it's 100% a 12.8 problem.

Well I'm sure the AMD Engineers will be pleased to know you have determined it is 100% due to the drivers, and there cannot possibly be any other cause for your issue. :p

My experience with 12.8s is that they are 100% perfect. I used Solitair to test with correctly so they are 100% stable. :p

The 12.8 release works better for me but I still see issues. On the Windows 8 side I'm seeing much better stability but that could have been last minute fixes in the OS as well. One thing I noticed during the Win 8 RP testing was that system crashes were far more frequent when I used the publicly available drivers vs the ITB drivers. I have zero issues right now on Windows 8 RTM.

My HTPC had problems with TV viewing using the 12.4's while everything else worked perfectly. The 12.6 and 12.7 releases were horrible -- the HDMI audio was constantly switching on and off for most applications with Windows Media Center being the only application that could keep the audio stream constant. While the 12.8's are more stable in the HDMI audio department, it still turns the sound stream on and off at the desktop. You Tube works well for some reason. Windows Media Player and VLC are also affected by this behavior on my system, however, gaming is okay (finally).

5870 card here, zero issues on the 12.8's. As Tony the Tiger says, "they'rrrrrrre great!"*

*=Windows 7 64-bit as well Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

Well I'm sure the AMD Engineers will be pleased to know you have determined it is 100% due to the drivers, and there cannot possibly be any other cause for your issue. :p

My experience with 12.8s is that they are 100% perfect. I used Solitair to test with correctly so they are 100% stable. :p

well it must be 100% a driver issue with the 5770 and the 12.8 if it wasn't I would have problems on other driver versions ? so i don't see your logic there.

Maybe you didn't uninstall 12.6 correctly and it's using part of the old drivers left over from 12.6 on your 12.8 and thus is stable.

I happen to do a new win 7 install with 12.8 drivers this weekend (oh yeah fun city... Zzz) and no issues on my 5870+5830 asymmetrical crossfire setup (and that is a very fussy setup).

Only thing to make sure is to disable ulps (sometimes afterburner enables ulps for some reason) for crossfire if you get crashes a few minutes into a game.

i've had similar issues when I was using afterburner after installing new drivers, fiddling with the newest version of afterburner fixed it

I just started crashing a few days ago while playing games like borderlands. It's been a while since I've really had gaming sessions over a couple hours and I've had at least 3 crashes and one BSOD all while playing.

It looks memory related but I've tested my ram all day long without any issue. I thought the memory leak in catalyst was fixed in 12.8?

Obviously nobody in here plays Space Marine...

12.4 is the last driver version that can run the game properly in Eyefinity. 12.6 and 12.8 both cause the menus and HUD to flicker.

I thought these were sort of stable but it seems that these drivers still have issues with the audio cutting out. If I'm playing music in Windows Media Center, the audio is guaranteed to cut out every 8-10 minutes or so. It's like the interface resets itself. It happens more frequently if WMC isn't running full screen. Gaming is still fine. I bet none of this would be an issue if HDCP didn't exist. Unf*cking believable.

I'll chime in.

Works fine with my 7850 DCII oc'ed.

Works fine with my 6770m, although I see no improvement.

12.8 had worked great for me. Except for the lack of Accelerated Video Transcoding which AMD acknowledged thanks to me LOL and they are working on a fix, everything else works fine.

I've had a lot of issues with my dual 6970s with 12.8.

I could remote into my desktop sometimes and it would tell me the hardware has stopped responding. I would also not be able to get the computer to wake from the displays going to sleep or it would just crash.

I have downgraded to 12.2, which was the last version I had used before I reformatted for my SSD RAID configuration, so now I'm waiting to see if the issue goes away before investigating further.

Back