11700K Temps Different across cores

• Thread starter Deleted member 109755
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109755

I haven't had an Intel chip since the 7700K and I'm not finding anything particularly clear explaining if what I'm seeing might be normal.

On my 7700K and my current AMD chips all the core temps are locked with each other temp wise. On the 11700K I have some that are in step with each other and some that are 10-15C higher when loaded. I know these Intel chips do a lot of things with boosting but I wouldn't expect this much delta between them, but I am not exactly the most familiar with Intel anymore.

It's cooled with a NH-D15S from Noctua, running on a ROG Strix Z590-i, which is admittedly a very tight fit, but I don't think the IHS and HSF are unevenly mated.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
This is normal. I've tested a lot of these CPU's and I've seen quite a bit of difference from one core to another.

Thank you for the quick replies, nothing about it screamed danger to me because it wasn't hitting even 80C but it's weird to see when you're not used to it.

I haven't had an Intel chip since the 7700K and I'm not finding anything particularly clear explaining if what I'm seeing might be normal.

On my 7700K and my current AMD chips all the core temps are locked with each other temp wise. On the 11700K I have some that are in step with each other and some that are 10-15C higher when loaded. I know these Intel chips do a lot of things with boosting but I wouldn't expect this much fluctuation, but I am not exactly the most familiar with Intel anymore.

It's cooled with a NH-D15S from Noctua, running on a ROG Strix Z590-i, which is admittedly a very tight fit, but I don't think the IHS and HSF are unevenly mated.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Is this with a sustained all-core load? have you tried re-installing the cooler? With high core count CPUs, I think spreading the thermal grease over the whole IHS is the best way to get your temps as even as possible.

On my 7700K and my current AMD chips all the core temps are locked with each other temp wise. On the 11700K I have some that are in step with each other and some that are 10-15C higher when loaded. I know these Intel chips do a lot of things with boosting but I wouldn't expect this much delta between them, but I am not exactly the most familiar with Intel anymore.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
15C delta is a bit high unless youre running small FFT AVX2 or something. But deltas are definitely higher than any previous chips. You were lucky if you had 10C on a 10900k running Prime95.

Have you noticed bigger deltas for the 11700K vs 11900K?
I haven't tested an 11700K specifically. Just the 11900K, 10900K, etc. Most of the time I work with the upper most end of the range only. That being said, there shouldn't be a huge difference between different models concerning this.

Well, doing a little more stress testing, under a smallest FFT load for max power i'm within 5C and no hotter than 79-80C. Fans on CPU and case cranked to full so I consider that pretty solid.

Idle with fans on minimal I'm in the mid 30's with sometimes a 10 C delta... so I'm going to consider this pretty safe / normal for now.

5C difference on a core or two isn't bad. But you may be able to cut that down a couple of degrees, with a careful repasting and refitting.

Both my 6700K and 10700K show the same temp delta as yours.

However...
I delidded the 6700K and when given fresh paste between the core and lid, there is only around 4C difference between all cores.
As time passes and the paste is pumped out by heat cycling it eventually becomes 15C difference again, takes a few months to get that bad.
Its crap it is.

note: 15C difference is when running prime95, its not quite as bad under lesser loads.

Well, doing a little more stress testing, under a smallest FFT load for max power i'm within 5C and no hotter than 79-80C. Fans on CPU and case cranked to full so I consider that pretty solid.

Idle with fans on minimal I'm in the mid 30's with sometimes a 10 C delta... so I'm going to consider this pretty safe / normal for now.
I've seen 7-9c differences in some cases. At 5c, your doing fine.

well thats hell alot better then my 7980xe lol some of the cores were at times 50c different i ripped the ihs off carved the black goo off iso bathed it overnight then applied liquid metal and reapplied the ihs suprise the cores were within 5c of one another lol. as a future note dont trust non der8bauer delid kits bought a $50 cheaper version form ebay it fit but didnt apply proper pressure and only 32gb outa 64gb would dispaly,

Back