1170 faster than 1080ti?

Nvidia could probably support Freesync quite easily. But their goal is to take away marketshare which is why they insist on the proprietary Gsync standard which requires Nvidia licensed hardware module and makes Gsync monitors significantly more expensive.

At this point it's probably more about pride and trying to steal market share than offering an affordable solution to their customers for the vsync issue.

I think in a few years when Intel comes in to market with their gaming GPUs as they plan to in 2020-2021 I bet they will support freesync. At that point I think Nvidia might be forced to support both formats and support current Gsync monitors and stops putting money in to it and sticks with freesync. Only time will tell but with more players in the GPU market Nvidia may have to cave.

Just wait a few more years and they'll be super cheap!

LoL. Am I talking about new cards? No! He was talking about Pascal. Yeah if you get a good deal then go for it. When new cards come out used cards usually get cheaper (last gen). It's a month of a difference. Usually I am the last one to tell peolpe to wait. But this is one of those times where next cards are right around the corner. But yeah great deals are already happening in this forum. Just grabbed an after market 1080ti for 525.

I think in a few years when Intel comes in to market with their gaming GPUs as they plan to in 2020-2021 I bet they will support freesync. At that point I think Nvidia might be forced to support both formats and support current Gsync monitors and stops putting money in to it and sticks with freesync. Only time will tell but with more players in the GPU market Nvidia may have to cave.

Im hoping that the fact both consoles support freesync, and alot of new tvs support freesync, that the monitor stranglhold will be a moot point, and lack of freesync will start to erode their market share.

Im find with gsync being proprietary, but come on support industry standard too.

Im hoping that the fact both consoles support freesync, and alot of new tvs support freesync, that the monitor stranglhold will be a moot point, and lack of freesync will start to erode their market share.

Im find with gsync being proprietary, but come on support industry standard too.
Freesync is an AMD proprietary standard, not industry standard, so NVIDIA has no obligation to support it. Adaptive-sync is an optional standard in DisplayPort, and NVIDIA seems to think that it isn't a viable solution. The more interesting development will be VRR in HDMI 2.1, as from what I understand it doesn't require a software driver on the output device to work so long as both the input and output devices are HDMI 2.1 compliant. The Xbox One X supports both Freesync and Game Mode VRR. The first televisions with HDMI 2.1 will start to come out later this year, so we'll see how well it works.

Freesync is an AMD proprietary standard, not industry standard, so NVIDIA has no obligation to support it. Adaptive-sync is an optional standard in DisplayPort, and NVIDIA seems to think that it isn't a viable solution. The more interesting development will be VRR in HDMI 2.1, as from what I understand it doesn't require a software driver on the output device to work so long as both the input and output devices are HDMI 2.1 compliant. The Xbox One X supports both Freesync and Game Mode VRR. The first televisions with HDMI 2.1 will start to come out later this year, so we'll see how well it works.

Right, but AMD Freesync is free to use, there is no licensing cost associated with implementing that in your monitor hardware.

Yes but lot easier to implement and it's not locked down and cost you an arm and leg. Heck even TV's are supporting it now. And not to mention Xbox. If Intel supports freesync which I think they will Nvidiawill be in tight spot with their expensive monitors .

I have a feeling Intel is going for the compute segment and the game hardware. It proabably take Intel more then 2-3 to release a competitive GPU if they do release gaming hardware. I still also think Nvidia will keep going with gysnc.

I have a feeling Intel is going for the compute segment and the game hardware. It proabably take Intel more then 2-3 to release a competitive GPU if they do release gaming hardware. I still also think Nvidia will keep going with gysnc.

I am not sure. Takes about 2-3 years. And with the budget they have I won’t be surprised if they have something in 2020. I think they already said they are on track to release gaming hardware by 2020. Since intel has good relationship with AMD on the GPU side freesync will likely happen with them. Yea nvidia will continue but with the way new HDR monitors are going to cost for gsync it becomes a big difference. Only thing that needs to happen is AMD getting getting their next gen out which I think they will. It’s gonna be exciting times in next 2-3 year with 3 players in the graphics arena.

Back