1155 crossfire motherboard?

StupidDream

Weaksauce
I am running a e3-1220 (3.1ghz quad core, no hyper threading, 8mb l3)

I would like to run a pair of rx580 8gb cards in crossfire

I understand I will likely be buying a used board... but what board is worth getting and why?

socket 1155 lasted through several chipset iterations. so long as you see two pci-e 16 slots on the board, it likely supports cf. amd was much less strict with its lane speed criteria than nvidia. team green demanded a minimum of two 8x speed lanes ( plus a cash payout) to get sli certification. cf can be run on boards that have one 16x and one 4x speed lanes. as a long-time multi gpu enthusiast (not anymore) your best bet for framerate smoothness would be to find a higher end z77 board that will supply your cards with at least 8x speeds for each lane.

I’d like to see 16/16 or 8/8. Not interested in 16/4 seems like it would be problematic

I’d like to see 16/16 or 8/8. Not interested in 16/4 seems like it would be problematic

It shouldn't be. I don't think you're going to get 16/16 unless you get something with an extra PLX chip and that costs money. Some of the high end boards had them and maybe some workstation boards.

not sure where you're buying from but a cruise by ebay, i can see a bunch of asus p8z77 boards for about $100usd.

It shouldn't be. I don't think you're going to get 16/16 unless you get something with an extra PLX chip and that costs money. Some of the high end boards had them and maybe some workstation boards.
+1 the 1155 socket natively has a maximum of 23 lanes, the most you see on a standard board will be 1x16, 8x8, or 8x (two x 4), the remaining lanes are reserved for the sata/usb chipset and the like.

It’s proving to be very hard to find a decent 1155 motherboard that supports 8x/8x cross fire

Back