111 one star reviews on new egg for 990fXA-UD3

NewEgg reviewers are fcking idiots most of the time

NewEgg Review said:
Cons: No IDE or floppy headers. Be sure you don't need these.

Who the hell is still using IDE or floppy headers on a desktop motherboard???

Looks like Gigabyte had a bad batch. Happens to them all. Like the recent ASUS (I think) board that had a bad problem catching fire so they clearanced them down to like $40 and still took some time to sell out.

I remember, it was an EVGA board, not ASUS.

Not sure why the revise the board when the 1.1 was good enough I guess the throttling is to prevent the board from catching fire which is the case for FX8350 and reversion 3.0

So hell if I'm going to upgrade to Steamroller if my board will just start on fire =)
Someone said their board was warped from the heat too on Overclock.net

I've built at least 5 systems with that board using 1st FX chips, nobody has called with any probs.

Been using that board for a while, first with a phenom 2 x4 that clocked to 4.3, then with a 1100t that clocked to 4.1, and now with an fx-6300 that clocks to 4.8.

Been rock solid for me. Those reviews are pretty brutal, like someone said it looks like gigabyte hit a bad batch.

NewEgg reviewers are fcking idiots most of the time

Windows XP users often need a floppy drive in order to load achi drivers. XP dosent support ahci natively like the newer windowses do. Still, he should just order a USB floppy drive and call it a day. Its understandable to want that feature.

Windows XP users often need a floppy drive in order to load achi drivers. XP dosent support ahci natively like the newer windowses do. Still, he should just order a USB floppy drive and call it a day. Its understandable to want that feature.

I, too, use an EOL operating system.

The problem wasn't the Rev 1.1 and earler original boards, it was the Rev 3.0 boards that came out with a bungled UEFI when Vishera did. I bought one and it was horrible, Gigabyte support for the issues I was having with the UEFI (mainly my chip getting stuck in throttled mode due to no way to turn off APM) was not good either, basically they didn't even admit to the issues let alone try to fix it. I returned mine for a Sabertooth R2.0 and that board was awesome.

ive heard some bad things about the 990fx-ud3, but ive never had a problem with any of my AMD boards.

This is one of my go to boards for AM3+ builds because I trust it. I haven't had any issues with it. I think pretty much any product out there has unhappy users at some point.

I had one of these when they first released and it was a great board for me. I had my 1090t at 4.0 & 1.425V on it. I ended up going blue after the FX series turned out to be a less than worthwhile upgrade and sold it for what I paid for it, so no complaints on resale value at the time either.

The only complaint I had with it was that it would not boot from USB devices at all, though to be fair my other Gigabyte motherboards all suffer from the same problem and it is something Gigabyte support knows about, but don't seem to be in a hurry to fix.

Maybe revising them was a bad idea...

Picked up the revision 3 board for my sons new build a month ago on sale at egg for 109 after rebate and paired it with the 8350. Put it on the test bench and found that the northbridge cooling sucks ass. took off the heatsink and replaced it with arctic ceramique, the paste that was on there was dried up and fused to the NB chip. (was really hard to get it off the chip) The temps are much better, but still have to hang a fan off the case to keep it cool. I think that most of the bad reviews on egg is because the NB burned up :mad: Now Gigabyte has the rev.4.0 and if you check out the picks they have a heat pipe cooler on the NB :(

I WANT THE NEW REV DAMMIT :D

The rig is running great and beleve me... my 17 year old son puts it through the test.

Just would have thought that Gigabyte would have not skimped on the other revisions :confused:

In my experience, gigabyte started waning in quality around the end of the 775 era, after a near 50% RMA rate on their 1156 boards, I refuse to sell them. I stick with Asrock, myself: they have their share of nitpicky issues, but they have (so far) a low RMA rate on their boards.

Looks like Gigabyte had a bad batch. Happens to them all.

Yeah. The original UD3 boards were outstanding, I've never had a problem with mine despite my massive 8120/8320 overclocks.

Still one of the best looking motherboards around, too. I wish there were more high-end boards that came in flat black rather than the ugly power ranger/transformer/Mexican wrestler color schemes you see on so many boards.

In my experience, gigabyte started waning in quality around the end of the 775 era, after a near 50% RMA rate on their 1156 boards, I refuse to sell them. I stick with Asrock, myself: they have their share of nitpicky issues, but they have (so far) a low RMA rate on their boards.

As much as I used to love Gigabyte boards many years ago I also refuse to buy them at all anymore. I've had three gigabyte boards - all different models, and all 3 of them didn't work in unganged duel channel mode even though all 3 boards claimed they supported that feature. One of them didn't have the setting despite the manual saying that it did, and the other two would let me change the setting to unganged but was actually in ganged mode. This has made me not trust that brand anymore.

The rev3 UD5 and UD7 are pretty solid. I'm not a fan of gigabyte at all, but they had the highest amount of PCIe x8/x16 slots. If Asrock or MSI had aboard with four x8 slots (electrical) I would have jumped on it.

I had one of these when they first released and it was a great board for me. I had my 1090t at 4.0 & 1.425V on it. I ended up going blue after the FX series turned out to be a less than worthwhile upgrade and sold it for what I paid for it, so no complaints on resale value at the time either.

The only complaint I had with it was that it would not boot from USB devices at all, though to be fair my other Gigabyte motherboards all suffer from the same problem and it is something Gigabyte support knows about, but don't seem to be in a hurry to fix.

Maybe revising them was a bad idea...

I wish I had the revision of my UD7, would love to have load line calibration.

I have. I also use serial ports.
Certain older test equipment requires both. As far as IDE, some older DVR's use IDE drives and so do older PC's (to retrieve data for example). Also, the ability to isolate IDE bootable drives by disabling SATA ports that have other bootable drives (since it doesn't seem possible to disable individual ports anymore) is a huge plus.

You discount those functions too easily, though floppies I can live without.

I went with this board only because it plays nice with virtualization technology. I got burned on a Gigabyte board 8 years ago, and switched to ASUS since. Now, having said that, I've had no issues on my system (see sig) but then again its a lab environment and doesn't get used daily.

The only difference I see at first glance between Rev 3 and 4 is that Rev 4 doesn't support JBOD and Rev 4 has a different USB chipset.

Running a UD3 Rev 1.1 for several months now. 8350, 7850, and never a glitch. Temps are fine in my HAF 912.
Love the board buy bought a Crosshair V here for another 8350 I had and I like the board better.

I had the UD3 rev 1.1.

Used it for several months then returned it.

Long story short, if you are really on a tight budget and aren't going to do crazy overclocks then there may be better options. After just a few weeks the one I had would have problems powering on. Also the board ran VERY HOT. Granted I was overclocking my 965, and maybe other users won't overclock at all. But in that case there is no reason to spend close to 140 for this board. There are better low end offerings that will run a stock cpu just fine.

The sabertooth is only 40-50 bucks more. And I can attest to the fact that it is 100% more stable. It runs WAY cooler and has a ton more features than the gigabyte board. It holds more stable overclocks and if they do fail the board will be okay. I BSOD, black screened because of Ocing and not once did I have to clear the CMOS to get it to power on again. It just reboots and I set back the clocks. I could never say the same about the UD3.

Can't really say anything about the ud5-7 models since I haven't owned them.

My temps all look good, CPU is idling at 40c with a H100i w/4 fans set to the quiet profile. The board itself is stays fairly cool even with the CPU at 4.4Ghz.

The rev3 UD5 and UD7 are pretty solid. I'm not a fan of gigabyte at all, but they had the highest amount of PCIe x8/x16 slots. If Asrock or MSI had aboard with four x8 slots (electrical) I would have jumped on it.

I've been a gigabyte for a long time. I am not exclusive to them, but I've used them probably more than any manufacturer. In fact I think one of my first boards back on socket 7 with a k62 CPU was them, and plenty of socket a builds were done with them.

I've actually had more trouble with MSI than anything, but I still use them too.

Jason

Newegg reviewers may be stupid but there is no reason to believe that a motherboard maker will have significantly more stupid reviewers than any other motherboard maker. Is the UD3 the apple brand motherboard lol? Is there some rush of novice computer builders suddenly jumping on this board? IMO the newegg and amazon reviews are good in that you can compare the total percent of bad reviews once they have certain number of reviews down, say 100 total. Then go pick other motherboards in a similar class and see what percent of 1 star reviews they have.

In the case I looked up 990fx motherboards and it had slightly higher 1 star review percent at 15, but not a heck of a lot worse than others which were 12 - 14% 1 star reviews. The total number of reviews is meaningless when gigabyte has like 3x as many reviews as others. It is up to you to decide if 1 -3% difference in 1 star reviews is significant enough to take your money elsewhere.

Back