$1100-$1200 Budget, <=14.5"

Uncle Humjaba

Limp Gawd
Hey all

I'm going to be looking into a new laptop here in a month or so. I know times are always changing, but sandy bridge is just starting to come out so I figure I'd see if there's anything interesting coming down the pike.

My priorities, in order
- 13-14.5" quality screen, high resolution
- Fast processor
- Can play modern games, if only on low (TF2, BFBC2 would be nice, Civ 5)
- Battery life would be nice

I was tempted by the Envy 14 with radiance display, but since the display seems to have vanished I'm left pretty much empty handed. The Macbook Pro 13 seems to fit the bill nicely, but I hesitate to buy anything with a CPU + GPU that far behind. Is there anything I'm missing?

Nope, you're looking for a fairly modest request (especially given the advances hardware has made), but that kind of laptop simply doesn't exist.

The E6410 or T410/s will come the closest, but you won't be able to run modern games at low at native resolution. If at all.

I'm holding out hope that we'll get something decent with Sandybridge laptops, but who knows.

I believe HP still has referbs on envy 14's with the 1600x900 display...
http://h71016.www7.hp.com/html/hpremarketing/daily.asp
You'll need to call and ask to see if they do indeed have any with that display.

Sadly I don't think you're going to see any sandy bridge laptops in the near future. I too was holding out for SB to flood the market. That said I'm in the very same boat as you looking for a good laptop that has better then the dorky 1366x768 screen. Sadly they are few and far between.

I'll keep my eyes open for any laptops and post back my findings if I come across any good ones.

I have a 14" laptop with a 1280x768 screen currently... How are the viewing angles/brightness/etc. on the lower-res Envy screen? I could deal with the lower resolution as long as it's still a good screen. Would help with my gaming requirements as well...

It's not too bad. Just not as NICE as the 1600x900 display. So if you can find a envy 14 with that display jump on it. There's a chance that you may be able to find one on ebay for a reasonable price.

BTW if you have any staples nearby check their website to see if any carry the envy 14 in store. Alot of the Staples around me have them in stock and on display.
If you have a microcenter nearby, within a hour or so, go there! they have a great in store selection of laptops that include the envy 14.

Back