11 States to Support California's Fight Against Violent Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
A total of eleven states have joined California in its fight against violent video games. Obviously this is a priority because these states have no other pressing issues (jobs, economy, housing) to deal with.:rolleyes:

Eleven U.S. state attorneys general have banded together to support the California law that restricts the sale of violent video games to minors, which was struck down by an appeals court but will be reconsidered by the Supreme Court of the United States.

Will California be spearheading an effort against violence in movies as well?

Oh good grief. This shit is supposed to be a parents responsibilty not the fucking government.:rolleyes:

These damn State govs need to pull their heads out of their asses and worry about real fucking issues. Such as unemployment, creating jobs, oh, and how about balancing their fucking budgets ?

Just heard this morning my state has a 850 million shortage of funds needed. So what the fuck is our governor doing ? Creating jobs ? Of fucking course not. Let's fucking raise taxes to pay for the budget shortfall. Fucking inbred assholes. Rant off. lol

States I won't live in:

California, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Texas, and Virginia

Especially Texas.

It's so sad, they don't realize any law they make will have absolutely no effect on whether or not kids play violent video games. Only senile out of touch people are involved in politics.

LOL, it's been blocked by the 9th circuit for over 4 years:

"A San Francisco federal appeals court said that the state hadn’t produced enough evidence to prove that video games cause physical and psychological harm to minors."

It's a good day, or years.

No more Just Cause 2 (A game where users play as a US government-sanctioned all-around terrorist).

States I won't live in:

California, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Texas, and Virginia

Especially Texas.

To be fair, it is the politicians in those states...not the people...that are the problem. Some of the best people on the planet live in those states, ESPECIALLY Texas :)

To be fair, it is the politicians in those states...not the people...that are the problem. Some of the best people on the planet live in those states, ESPECIALLY Texas :)

To be fair, people elect politicians. If the people in those states don't agree with this kind of stuff they should stop voting against their own interests.

People are always voting against their interests. That's what makes a good politician, i.e. painting an imaginary picture of how awesome the politician will be when elected. Of course being a good politician has nothing to do with whether that candidate will make a good governor/senator/president/etc..

MD resident here and this is just the kind of dumb shit that we (or I at least) cant seem to vote away. not because kids SHOULD play ultra violent games, but because it is a waste of time for state politicians to even discuss it. if something must be done, run some PSA commercials advising parents and be done with it.

Hey look left! Pay no attention to the massive job losses and faltering economy... We have violent games to contend with and everyone know violent games promote terrorism!

Oh No! My state is on there.

Little did they know that the only thing keeping me from killing all the hookers in a 10 block radius was having a suitable outlet. (just kidding)

I just noticed that it was only for minors. Rest easy tonight hookers. You win. For now.

I thought CA had a monopoly on Village Idiots, looks like in is spreading. Need more birth control.

I can see some kid standing infront of EB asking some guy to go in and buy him a game. That's EB, next door to the liquor store where the kid already got his beer.

Only senile out of touch people are involved in politics.

That pretty much sums up the Democratic party out here in California. Meanwhile Pelosi busy doing to Washington what the Democrats have done to California for the past 20 years.

About the only thing that could save us now, is if the Bay area & Sacramento fell off into the ocean.

rofl this was on the news last night, apparently the majority of politicians don't realize that the ESRB exists... Quote from the anchorman

"If only there was some sort of rating system like how we rate movies for video games..."

Distract and redirect, distract and redirect... OMG LOOK!!! PONIES!!!! *steals treasury*

+1 on this.

Like the California congressman (state) from So.Cal who wants our state rock/mineral to be removed because it has been found to have traces of asbestos in it.... *sigh* Politicians here are going full retard.

Don't hint at anything negative related to Texas 1 month ban If you get caught.

As an adult I can give a crap less if minors can buy violent games. Altho this seems like it could be solved by enforcing the restrictions the ESRB already have.

Good thinking, keeping kids away from violent video games. They will just have to settle for crack and real guns. Save our children!

Does anyone really care what little kids are and aren't allowed to buy?

Once upon a time, our Supreme Court ruled on things like segregation. Now they have to put up with violent video games. Ugh.

And can someone tell me in which game you can digitally rape someone?

Guys, these politicians will try to get anything passed and they will come up with something controversial enough to get some light on their political careers. This is another lame attempt by some congressmen trying to push their career so they can advance ... why? because the people who place these guys into elections don't give a shit wether what they did was beneficial or absolutely retarded, its the fact that they did something that is all they care about.

This won't ever get passed like the 500000 times it was brought up before.

lets ban violent video games., but recruit kids to join the army to fight over something that is none of their business, f#$@^!% hypocrites

Sure they all amend this to another health care bill or some crap cause they know it wont pass any other day..

But again, why are these people in office, don't the american people have the ability to kick this mindless tools out of office?

fml, I live in California. The pricks responsible for crap like this can be sure they're not getting my vote in the next election.

You guys are kings of "not getting all the facts." First off, stop with the implications that the "government gots better things to do." All this article says is that the attorney generals (one per state) signed a brief written by the California attorney general, which was addressed to the supreme court. Not a big time waster...

Second, no one here has gotten even close to what the law actually said. The gist of it was the following:

1. Violent video games are those where you can kill, torture, or sexually assault an image of another human being.
2. Violent video games can't be sold or rented to minors (under 18).
3. Parents and guardians ARE ALLOWED to give their children violent video games if they choose.
4. ALL violent video games need a 2"x2", white with black outline, "18" printed on the front (similar to the warning on cigarettes).
5. The penalty for violating the section is up to $1000 fine, but salesclerks who don't own the business are exempt.

That's it. Don't believe me?Read if yourself (click "next" to get all the way through section 1746).

No one is trying to take video games away. No one is even trying to take violent video games away. They are trying to take violent video games away from kids who don't have parent's permission.

That being said, I think the law should change to 16 for violent games. At that age, you are old enough for whatever is in them. The logo should only have to be 1"x1" as that would alert everyone, without ruining box covers. 2" just seems to be punishing the video game companies.

The 9th district shot down the law because the state did not, in the court's mind, show actual psychological harm resulting from playing video games. This is basically an argument over social science. I, personally, don't think actual harm results. The supreme court, on the other hand, is much much more conservative than the 9th circuit (easily the most liberal court when it comes to rights such as freedom of speech). It will be interesting to see how the supreme court views not only the social science in this case, but whether their ruling from the past term that "corporate money used as political donations is speech" affects this case. I'll be watching closely.

Short version: get your facts straight. be outraged is worthless is you aren't informed.

A total of eleven states have joined California in its fight against violent video games. Obviously this is a priority because these states have no other pressing issues (jobs, economy, housing) to deal with.:rolleyes:

To be fair.. you could say that those 3 issues are never truly "dealt with"... there will always be higher priority items than gaming. As a result people try to pick up issues they know will be overlooked and handle them, like these people seem to be doing.

Back