11+ or so years using an A-MVA, how bad would switching to a TN be?

LordJezo

Limp Gawd
It's an older BenQ monitor. Bought it back in.. 2007 or 8, I forget exactly, because it wasn't a TN panel and back then TN panels were terrible, if you moved a few inches off center you couldn't see a thing. Now a days I think things have improved but I still haven't used one in a long time.

If I get a Freesync TN panel, 144hz, moving from a legacy MVA, will it be terrible or have things improved in the past decade in monitor technology?

For reference here is what I bought: https://www.anandtech.com/show/2787/3

I've been on an 8-bit TN panel on my ASUS PG278Q for years now with no complaints and I'm the type of guy who has refused to buy laptops because of their shitty panels with poor image quality and massive color shift if you move anywhere from the center. The better TN panels nowadays have minimal color shifting and do sRGB colors just fine. As long as you don't expect those high gamut "popping" colors they are accurate.

just get an IPS/AHVA......I use the Asus PG279Q or whatever that has a 120hz AHVA IIRC. It is tolerable image quality. I prefer my Dell IPS image quality but....those suck ass for gaming.

The only "real" advantage to TN now is that it can go as fast as 240hz (from what I've seen). If you just need 100ish hz, modern IPS can do that already.

The only "real" advantage to TN now is that it can go as fast as 240hz (from what I've seen). If you just need 100ish hz, modern IPS can do that already.
mediocre image quality IPS can :p Really good screen quality ones are still very slow sadly but at least we got options now. My Dells still look way better but....100 hz ULMB destroys standard 60hz in gaming

For reading text i find my AHVA disappointing. For gaming, image viewing, video streaming it's great at any resolution. Probably going to pick up an IPS purely for reading / editing.

You have to look at each screen , some TN panels are pretty good others are horrible. I would go to some stores that sell monitors and mess with them. 11 years is a long time. I remember I had this monitor from my sister it was very expensive like $700 for the time it was only like 15 inches a high end SONY LCD. But looking at it years later it was total trash compared to even cheap monitors. Also know that even LEDs and CFL back lighting all degrade over time. If you are willing to spend the money a fast IPS monitor is a good compromise, 2560x1440 165hz monitors are a great balance.

A quality TN panel isn't too bad at all. The only thing that suffers are the view angles and the high quality ones don't even have that all that bad. The 1080p TN panel in my thinkpad T530 is an example of a high quality TN that looks much better than quite a few IPS/VA panels.

Modern TN still can't compare to modern VA or IPS as far as image quality, and viewing angles. Some people don't mind them, but then some people are partially color blind too. I don't like how faint color gradients become indistinguishable on a TN. Yellow and white, shades of gray. Viewing angles changing colors as you look towards the outside of a big screen? No thanks.

I've used one of the Asus Predator 27" type 144hz and 165hz monitors at a LAN. I wouldn't consider buying them compared to a good VA or IPS. IPS and VA are plenty fast enough for gaming nowdays - so why sacrifice the quality of the image?

Last edited:
Modern TN still can't compare to modern VA or IPS as far as image quality, and viewing angles. Some people don't mind them, but then some people are partially color blind too. I don't like how faint color gradients become indistinguishable on a TN. Yellow and white, shades of gray. Viewing angles changing colors as you look towards the outside of a big screen? Not thanks.

I've used one of the Asus Predator 27" TN type 144hz and 165hz monitors at a LAN. I wouldn't consider buying them compared to a good VA or IPS. IPS and VA are plenty fast enough for gaming nowdays - so why sacrifice the quality of the image?

FTFY The AHVA IPS type ones are another story. No idea why anyone buys the TN versions.

I am just waiting for plasma to come back to monitors or OLED to finally get true CRT quality back that doesnt make your eyes bleed. God CRTs were awful on your eyes esp[ecioally if you have migraines or other issues

Back