11 hour flight in coach with power. Any steam games i can play on my Mac Pro Retina?

BottomsUp

Gawd
to pass the time?

i typically play FPS that won't work with track pad. looking for something else.

Bring an xbox 360 controller to plug in.

Then you can play stuff like fez, limbo, mark of the ninja, etc. Hell grab an emulator and play some old school console games. You can also get the scummvm and play some old school point and click games like dig, sam and max, full throttle, etc.

You could also pick up a doom port or duke 3d(usng eduke32) and play one of them as you didn't really need a mouse.

Games like Plants vs. Zombies or Peggle can be fun. Also fighting games like Mortal Kombat.

i always like to recommend the banner saga. great game, great story and should fill the time quite nicely

I played Civilization the last time I had a transpacific flight with power. I didn't get up for nearly 13 hours and the time just flew by.

I make long flights like this periodically (I have a 15 hour one coming up next month ... although the flight does have internet too :) ) ... I like turn based strategy or RPG games or RTS games when in a captive environment ... they tend to be immersive but not extraordinarily system intensive ... with some of the remastered titles available now (HoMM 3, BG and BG 2, etc) it could be a good time to have some fun with the classics ... However, I also second choices like PvZ (a very addicting and fun Tower Defense game) and if Defense Grid runs on your Mac then it is a fantastic TD game

If, by any chance, you are flying United, they have a ton of free movies you can watch. I think Delta does too, though not as many choices.

11 hours? Sleep is the only option.
Screw gaming.

That is somewhat dependent on what time your flight leaves and when it arrives ... if you are arriving at your destination in the morning then I would agree that sleep is the best option (but for me it is hard to sleep more than 5-6 hours on a plane) ... if you are arriving in the evening at your destination then a lot of sleep isn't a good option as you might have trouble adjusting to the new time zone (so a short 3-4 hour nap is probably best) ... all of those options leave a fair amount of time to kill

I am pretty good at cocooning up with my travel goodies these days ... I bring a tablet loaded with games, a few magazines, some comics, and some ebooks ... I bring my smart phone with audio books or music loaded ... I watch some of the shows or movies on the flight ... I have a portable blu ray player and bring a couple of box sets to keep me distracted ... and I have my laptop ... I am also lucky that the flight I take most frequently (Dallas to Hong Kong) has internet service (it is $19 which isn't too bad for a 15 hour flight) so I can post on [H], read emails, and surf the web ... it is definitely not as boring on long flights as it used to be :cool:

Anything turn-based. Kings bounty is fun.

Divinity: Original Sin, XCOM, Cities Skylines is coo.

As other mentioned, Civ is always a good option.

Bring an xbox 360 controller to plug in.

Then you can play stuff like fez, limbo, mark of the ninja, etc. Hell grab an emulator and play some old school console games. You can also get the scummvm and play some old school point and click games like dig, sam and max, full throttle, etc.

You could also pick up a doom port or duke 3d(usng eduke32) and play one of them as you didn't really need a mouse.

Very sound advice. FEZ is incredible. Also, while it's not as fun without friends, Monaco is pretty cool.

SCUMMVM also plays Sierra SCI and AGI games (like XXXXX Quest, Leisuresuite Larry, etc.)

I also echo the suggestion to grab an emulator or two and some of your favorite classic games.

11 hours? Sleep is the only option.
Screw gaming.

:D I usually fall somewhere in between. I typically fall asleep for a bit, then wake up part way into the flight and can't get back to sleep. This is when I usually start playing some games.

That is somewhat dependent on what time your flight leaves and when it arrives ... if you are arriving at your destination in the morning then I would agree that sleep is the best option (but for me it is hard to sleep more than 5-6 hours on a plane) ... if you are arriving in the evening at your destination then a lot of sleep isn't a good option as you might have trouble adjusting to the new time zone (so a short 3-4 hour nap is probably best) ... all of those options leave a fair amount of time to kill

I am pretty good at cocooning up with my travel goodies these days ... I bring a tablet loaded with games, a few magazines, some comics, and some ebooks ... I bring my smart phone with audio books or music loaded ... I watch some of the shows or movies on the flight ... I have a portable blu ray player and bring a couple of box sets to keep me distracted ... and I have my laptop ... I am also lucky that the flight I take most frequently (Dallas to Hong Kong) has internet service (it is $19 which isn't too bad for a 15 hour flight) so I can post on [H], read emails, and surf the web ... it is definitely not as boring on long flights as it used to be :cool:

I don't fly much, but for me only a regular old book helps me not to go berserk.
I get too bored with my gadgets.

I don't fly much, but for me only a regular old book helps me not to go berserk.
I get too bored with my gadgets.

Yeah, I do too. Even when I wouldn't normally at home. However, I just bring a laptop bag with whatever the current Nintendo handheld is, my laptop, phone, and then yes, either a book or a real magazine or something like that. If I get to that point where I can't just sleep the flight away, I just bounce between all of these.

What I really like to do is work on some of my circuit designs. I get sucked into that fairly easily. However, running SPICE simulations tends to suck the batteries out quickly, so...

Half Life 2. You should be able to do about 2-4 complete runs in 11 hours...if you have already made about 1000 runs like most HL2 owners. :p

Half Life 2. You should be able to do about 2-4 complete runs in 11 hours...if you have already made about 1000 runs like most HL2 owners. :p

:D

Good point though. Valve games will run quite well on that hardware. Maybe a Portal/Portal 2 play is in order too.

...only a touchpad?

You'd be amazed at what my kids can do with one of those things. I don't mind the one on my Macbook Pro for design work while I'm not in a good place for a whole desktop setup, but I'm not a fan. I'll play Borderlands with my daughters though, and they'll actually play using the KB and trackpads on their laptops and actually play very effectively. It's almost... ...disturbing... :D

You'd be amazed at what my kids can do with one of those things. I don't mind the one on my Macbook Pro for design work while I'm not in a good place for a whole desktop setup, but I'm not a fan. I'll play Borderlands with my daughters though, and they'll actually play using the KB and trackpads on their laptops and actually play very effectively. It's almost... ...disturbing... :D

Something about kids and touch devices... they pick it up so well it's eerie

Cities: Skylines or Prison Architect both come to mind. Both are games that I've sat down to for a solid 6 hour session without realizing it. Wonderful games to pass time with.

Cities: Skylines or Prison Architect both come to mind. Both are games that I've sat down to for a solid 6 hour session without realizing it. Wonderful games to pass time with.

The OP wont have a mouse. I'm pretty sure both of those would be tough to play with just the track pad on a laptop

I cannot get Skylines to run on my Retina Macbook Pro.:confused:

The OP wont have a mouse. I'm pretty sure both of those would be tough to play with just the track pad on a laptop

It's not ideal, but it's doable. Actually when I purchase prison architect it was over the holiday and I was traveling with just a laptop. I put at least 10 hours into the game before I made it home.

Maybe the purchase of a small (mobile-style) gamepad is in order. That would open up a lot more possibilities and not take up too much space.

Very true. I have one of those little MS portable ones that the cord wheels up into. It's tiny, but surprisingly not too uncomfortable. Still, on a plane I think I prefer a the MBP trackpad if it's not for games. For games, the mouse would definitely be better. Or a little gamepad. (or both :D ) For me, I take one of my Logitech XInput pads. It just barely fits in my laptop case with everything else. I played FEZ on my last long trip.

I had an 8+ hour flight to Italy on U.S Airways...only to discover that NONE of the usb power ports were functioning in economy PLUS...that's right...I was PLUS with no power...how dare they...Apparently they had been non-functional for pretty much the entire life of the "newer" plane...Luckily I always have some Newtrent battery packs...otherwise I would have been really pissed...

Side note, the in flight entertainment (seat back touch screens) were great. Lots of shows, movies, games...

Back