11.6"~12" Laptop

anthrex

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for my first laptop purchase and since my desktop is my main rig I was thinking the 11.6" to 12" laptop at around 3 lbs would fit my bill as a portable. I'll be mostly surfing the web, music playback, occasional Netflix/Hulu videos (want full screen playback for 480p if possible). No gaming. Good battery life is a must as I am thinking around 6 hours+. I was looking into the Acer timeline series, but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Hoping to by something within the next week. Thanks!

if your price can afford it, the 2740p with slice battery gets me 8-12 hours usage...in a 12.1" screen

rather pricey though, and has the darn cool feature of being able to use it in touch screen mode

if your price can afford it, the 2740p with slice battery gets me 8-12 hours usage...in a 12.1" screen

rather pricey though, and has the darn cool feature of being able to use it in touch screen mode

Sorry to thread crap, how much does your 2740 weigh with the slice? And +1 on the recommendation, this is a VERY nice device and does seem to match up on your reqs though its expensive.

The battery life is a bit shy of your goals, but what about the 11.6-inch MacBook Air? Very light (2.3 pounds), much faster graphics for the class without hurting battery life, and an awesome keyboard and trackpad.

lol knew i forgot something. I'm looking to keep the price lower 600-700, I might be able to go up to 800 but it would have to be pretty worth it to do so. It's tougher I know, but this computer won't be doing anything real fancy and I don't want to be freaking out if I do happen to lose it/stolen/whatever. The Macbook air would be ideal, but its definitely out of my price range. 6 hours is my ideal and anything over would be a plus for me

Look at a used -- off corporate lease via Ebay -- HP EliteBook 2530p, or if you can work it in to the budget (~$800-1000, depending on configuration) a 2540p. I have a 2510p, and I love it, though I wish I had a newer model for various reasons, primarily the use of 2.5" SATA drives instead of the 2510p's 1.8" PATA drive (slow and damn near impossible to find a replacement for). You can get a 3, 6, or 9 cell battery for it, giving you approximately that many hours of use, respectively. My battery is severely aged now after 2.5 years of heavy use, and I still get ~4 hours of normal use out of my 6 cell.

The corporate lease machines are usually around a year old, still very good looking, and have 2 years of the initial 3 year warranty remaining.

yaaa, 2740p wont fit your budget, silent=circuit has a nice suggestion, the Elietebooks are great machines, durable and good bat life..

silent i hear ya, due to size of my 2740p they used a 1.8" drive(Intel G2 x-18m)

@Heatless, thought i mentioned it.....not very heavy at all....w/o the slice it is roughly the weight of a samsung 10" netbook with its battery, it adds ~1/4-1/3 the weight of the machine+stock battery....not heavy at all...HP did a great job in this regard.....sorry for thread crap OP

Sounds good I'll take a look on ebay if I can find one with a reasonable warranty. Any other suggestions out there? I'm open and am eager to finally be able to more mobile than just my iphone

Any of the major buisness class ones. HP has the Elitebook, Dell has Lattidude, and Lenovo has well Lenovo :)

Yea I'm getting pretty tempted by the 13 inch ones as that batter life zooms up. Was looking at the UL30A as I don't need the switching gpu.

Yea I'm getting pretty tempted by the 13 inch ones as that batter life zooms up. Was looking at the UL30A as I don't need the switching gpu.

Wow those are pretty nice, I would like to get one of those for school.

Asus 1215N - 485$ on amazon

Dual core atom, 12" HD screen, nvidia Ion2 graphics. Only real contender that meets your specs. Its the most powerful NETbook out...so no dvd/cd drive. But usb drives are only fifty bucks.
It will play 1080p youtube videos while using only 20 percent cpu....but the screen only displays 720p.
5 - 6.5 hours of battery life and its only 3lbs.

I've read it comes with a ton of bloatware and gaming sucks since the PCI lanes are locked at 1x speed when communicating with the graphics card.

You'd honestly pay $500 for what amounts to a netbook? You can get a machine with a ULV Core2Duo for that much. Possibly less. Similar battery life. Similar weight.

If you can go with only a pointing stick (no touchpad), you probably want to look at a used or refurb Thinkpad X200 or X200s. Also, Dell's D430s and E4200s might be of interest. (again, probably used or refurb), though I think the first one will fall short battery life wise. The E4200 might offer a slice battery.

The Alienware M11x can be had for around that price with a coupon or on ebay.

I just bit on the ASUS UL30A. I'll try and give my impressions when it arrvies. Thanks everyone for the help!

Back