10th Annual BOINC Pentathlon hosted by SETI.Germany

Since the Shout box log is only showing until 5/12, I really don't want to falsely accuse the wrong person. I recall whom I think it was, but really don't want to start a flame war without being able to point to it directly. Looks really bad and unsportsman like at this point if one were to do so. You may need to reach out to SETI.Germany for a full transcript of both weeks.

I am sorry I crunched for TAAT for one night during the Pent. I felt obligated to do something for them because of the help they gave us in Einstein.

My mind has changed on this subject multiple times over the last two weeks, but I am going to stick with my gut, which is telling me that those tactics are not in line with my values. I believe in teamwork. We fight as a team and we win (or lose) as a team. I won't be switching teams or doing any such nonsense going forward. If TAAT wants to join our team for competitions, great, but I won't be flying the banner for TAAT (or anyone else) for any reason. Everyone else can do what they want, but I will represent [H] now and in the future. Period.

The Pentathlon is certainly very stressful for many. The more gear you bring the more stressful it becomes. I find it best to ignore the shoutbox as some take it too far. This year we even saw an individual start using racial stereotyping while trying to insult others. I believe the comment was making fun of how someone was typing (sounding) and said they were sounding like a black person whining or something along those lines. It is sad and discraceful. Since nobody really knows whom is posting due to how easy you can change your handle in the shoutbox, one could argue it wasn't them. I don't care who it was but the fact someone thought it was ok to do. It shows how low people are getting in these events. It caused us to lose one of our own because he now feels it is too toxic of an environment to be in. Then you have all the hate towards miners constantly being tossed out there. It is sad how few people realize that their team comprises of miners of various sizes. I recall EVGA getting attacks back in our folding days about being paid EVGA bucks to contribute to their team. Some of the people on that team complain about miners in BOINC as if it is any different. It just sickens me to read that crap all the time. H used to share its wisdom in the open. We now horde a lot of it to get the edge. I for one think we need to leave the hidden forum and the closed Discord/Slack channels to only Challenge discussions while they occur and bring back the general stuff into the open.

NICE

I'm really kicking myself for not finding the time to add more systems to LHC. Certainly had more at my disposal; but getting the ones I did bring online (20 boxes, a mix of 2P and 4P Xeons spanning Sandy through Skylake) was a real PITFA due to other issues. Was suffering from burnout pretty badly though. Regardless, it's really going to be bugging me for a while... thinking "what if" about 2-3 more 4Ps and ~4 more 2Ps? Ugh. :(

The team switching needs to be addressed. But first; a hat tip to those who helped. Thank you. :) What is done is done. Water under the bridge and all that. For the future though? Think of this like the Olympics where people compete for their "birth" nation vs. their home. Might seem weird sometimes, but it's allowed. If someone wants to switch teams for a big event like we just had, that's all fine and dandy. However it must be done before the event starts; because once the event starts, you cannot switch teams. Chose your team, then live or die by your team. This seems extremely logical to me.

If someone wants to switch teams for a big event like we just had, that's all fine and dandy. However it must be done before the event starts; because once the event starts, you cannot switch teams. Chose your team, then live or die by your team. This seems extremely logical to me.
Makes sense. And at least transparent after the first stats update. One can still reassign hardware to another user; but that is a higher bar as the credits not moving on own account. For those who want to have them.

Back