10TB WD Easystore + 32GB USB $180

• Thread starter Deleted member 184142
  • Start date
Thanks for putting this up, I grabbed 2 of these on the black Friday sale for a RAID 1 on my freeNAS box... I had been kicking myself for not having a hot spare available.

Thanks for putting this up, I grabbed 2 of these on the black Friday sale for a RAID 1 on my freeNAS box... I had been kicking myself for not having a hot spare available.
No point in a hot spare for a raid 1, which freenas calls a mirror, just add the disk to the mirror resulting in a 3 disk mirror. You'll be better protected that way.

Back up to $189 today but if you have a business account they are $170.99/ea.

Is this a single drive, or 2 drives in a JBOD configuration?

Also, I don't want to Shuk, Jive, or otherwise modify the thing. I simply want it as a mass storage drive and backup drive for Windows 10.

I assume it's good enough for that.

Is this a single drive, or 2 drives in a JBOD configuration?

Also, I don't want to Shuk, Jive, or otherwise modify the thing. I simply want it as a mass storage drive and backup drive for Windows 10.

I assume it's good enough for that.

Single drive. I forget the model number, but there is a reddit thread about the model numbers they come with.

Single drive. I forget the model number, but there is a reddit thread about the model numbers they come with.
Its a WD100EMAZ white label drive generally, which is the same speed/cache/reliability as the 5400 rpm WD NAS red drive.

Its a WD100EMAZ white label drive generally, which is the same speed/cache/reliability as the 5400 rpm WD NAS red drive.

10GB Drives. JC. For $180. Whoda thunk it?

My first hard drive was for a TRS-80 Model 4 in the early 80's. It was $2795.00 for 15MB (Yes, MEGABYTES!). That's just about enough to hold ONE relatively complex Word Document these days.

That's just fucking amazing.

10GB Drives. JC. For $180. Whoda thunk it?

My first hard drive was for a TRS-80 Model 4 in the early 80's. It was $2795.00 for 15MB (Yes, MEGABYTES!). That's just about enough to hold ONE relatively complex Word Document these days.

That's just fucking amazing.

my first job as a tech was installing these new fangeled FIVE (5) MB drives, full height 5.25" heavy as a cinder block, they replaced a full height 5.25" single sided floppy drive

the controller card was full length double wide and got rather warm, wide bulky cables

a few years later when seagate came out with the 20mb half height drives we were blown away

before then drives never parked the heads, you had to remember to run a parking utility

I still shake my head at smartphones in wonder, meanwhile kids today haven't a clue

my first job as a tech was installing these new fangeled FIVE (5) MB drives, full height 5.25" heavy as a cinder block, they replaced a full height 5.25" single sided floppy drive

the controller card was full length double wide and got rather warm, wide bulky cables

a few years later when seagate came out with the 20mb half height drives we were blown away

before then drives never parked the heads, you had to remember to run a parking utility

I still shake my head at smartphones in wonder, meanwhile kids today haven't a clue

Yeah, the ST-225-1's and ST-252-1's were frickin' awesome when they came out.

IIRC, I bought an external Mac drive that had an ST-252-2 40MB drive in it. I believe it was around $500 in 1987 or so.

The ST-252-2 was a major improvement over the ST-252-1. IIRC, it dropped the seek time from 40ms to 28ms. Laughable numbers by todays standards!

The one bad drive of the era was the ST-238R-1, the first RLL drive. It was a total POS and failure was almost guaranteed within a year.

My favorite drives of all time were the Maxtor MXT-540's. These things had amazing fucking transaction rates and I'm not even sure today's drive could match.

Last edited:
My favorite drives of all time were the Maxtor MXT-540's. These things had amazing fucking transaction rates and I'm not even sure today's drive could match.

I still have a Maxtor 8gig IDE drive in the spare pile I purchased new back in 96 or 98, if refuses to die.

I still have a Maxtor 8gig IDE drive in the spare pile I purchased new back in 96 or 98, if refuses to die.

I kinda miss Maxtor, but the MXT series was kinda their last really good drives.

I kinda miss Maxtor, but the MXT series was kinda their last really good drives.

Their quality ran hot or cold. I was convinced that they would cut corners till they started failing like mad and then go the other way. Rinse and repeat.

I think I have two or three Maxtor drives left, just went through my inventory last week. Majority are Seagates with a sprinkling of WD and the odd Hitachi.

Yeah, the ST-225-1's and ST-252-1's were frickin' awesome when they came out.

IIRC, I bought an external Mac drive that had an ST-252-2 40MB drive in it. I believe it was around $500 in 1987 or so.

The ST-252-2 was a major improvement over the ST-252-1. IIRC, it dropped the seek time from 40ms to 28ms. Laughable numbers by todays standards!

The one bad drive of the era was the ST-238R-1, the first RLL drive. It was a total POS and failure was almost guaranteed within a year.

I remember some drives back then used to be capable of RLL if you bought an RLL controller and reformatted the drive.
Instantly more space. That was a fun trick.

How many of you old-timers remember what this is?

g=c800:05

I remember some drives back then used to be capable of RLL if you bought an RLL controller and reformatted the drive.

Yep. It turned a 20MB ST-225-1 into a 30MB ST-225-1 instantly :) And it was VERY unstable.

I know exactly what that debug command is :) Have yer Platter, cylinder and Head data handy!

I run two of these 10TB drives as one "mirrored" drive through windows 10 storage space, then backblaze cloud backup. Might get some more later and build a NAS system but I have met my immediate needs.

Yep. It turned a 20MB ST-225-1 into a 30MB ST-225-1 instantly :) And it was VERY unstable.

From what I remember, the RLL formatting worked well on the drives that supported it. I think I tried it on a Toshiba full height 40mb drive and it worked well.
Don't think I tried it on the Seagate drives though.

My 10tb is supposed to be here from BB today.

Next day free delivery, and no $129/year fee !

IIRC I put one in my sisters Vectra back in the day... green screen FTW! Do I qualify as an old fart?

I hope this bastard lives nowhere near me.

That being said, it's only 2520$ worth of drives. I say "only" because people are dropping 2600$ or more on a pair of GPUs that probably won't even last them 2-5 years, while most HDDs will last you several.

I bet hes gonna use them in a huge nas, given that usage scenario its not bad.

Deal is still going at $180. Bought 9 of them later part of November/early December. Ran BadBlocks, all passed. Now I have more storage for my movie and TV show collection. :happy:

8JRfQzQ.png

Working great in my Qnap TS-832X-8G-US. No issue with the 3.3V line that legacy backplanes have.

Ok. Got it.

Is this just a WD thing?

Last edited:
Ok, so WD isn't being a dick. It's just a change in specification that older supplies may not be compatible with.

I can dig it.

Am I missing something -- the price shows as $199. I actually purchased one at that price earlier in the week because I needed one but this isn't the $179.99 pricing.

I see the $179 price, thinking about picking up a third.

I just refreshed the page and it went to $199, mistake maybe?

Yeah, it's dead already. I hate it when they jerk you around with blink-and-you-missed-it sales.

Back