10TB WD Easystore + 32GB USB $180

• Thread starter Deleted member 184142
  • Start date
I picked up 2 more today at my local BestBuy. It showed out of stock and the area with the portable storage also was cleared out, but I found 2 in a display Kiosk near the Apple stuff so keep an eye out.

Now to figure out if I want to get 2 more and upgrade my 4-bay and 2-bay NAS unit too.
They tend to do that sometimes to give the store pickup ordering folks a chance (wife used to work there).

I just picked up 2 of the 10TB myself, and plan on ordering 2 more on/around Black Friday so I can space out my credit card payments.
The 8TB just went on "Sale" for $180 for the weekly deal (without the flash drive) the same price as the 10TB.

I picked one up, myself. Currently using it as an external since I'm not sure if I have any more slots left. Kind of sucks as an external. Transfer rate is literally about a third of or less of internal speed. I backed up around 4.2TB and it took like 1.5-2 days. I'm not even kidding.

I picked one up, myself. Currently using it as an external since I'm not sure if I have any more slots left. Kind of sucks as an external. Transfer rate is literally about a third of or less of internal speed. I backed up around 4.2TB and it took like 1.5-2 days. I'm not even kidding.

1.5 - days!! Are you kidding me?

:sneaky:

I got one as well, ordered the Kapton tape off Fleabay

Did not work with my EVGA 1000 P2

They had some good deals in the store as well. I went to store last week and saw a 4TB WD portable HD with 32GB USB flash drive for like 79 bucks. I wasn't even planning on buying it. But that was really too good of a deal for my xbox lol. This one seems to be back to regular price.

This one is back to 179.99, here is the link. There are two different ones.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-eas...usb-flash-drive-black/6290669.p?skuId=6290669

They had some good deals in the store as well. I went to store last week and saw a 4TB WD portable HD with 32GB USB flash drive for like 79 bucks. I wasn't even planning on buying it. But that was really too good of a deal for my xbox lol. This one seems to be back to regular price.

This one is back to 179.99, here is the link. There are two different ones.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-eas...usb-flash-drive-black/6290669.p?skuId=6290669
That is the same link as in the OP and says $299.99 for me...

It is 179.99 today for Elite and Elite Plus members as a part of Best Buy's Black Friday Early Access.

I can add it to my cart but when I try to check out it says out of stock! Bummer

I bought one last week, 11/11/18 for the advertised $179.99 at a local Best Buy. I am now regret that I only purchased one. I should of buy at least 2 or 3 and setup an Unraid server.

I bought one last week, 11/11/18 for the advertised $179.99 at a local Best Buy. I am now regret that I only purchased one. I should of buy at least 2 or 3 and setup an Unraid server.
You're in luck they're going back on sale again during BF Thurs/Friday.

The $25 shutterfly coupons are decent too, while they can't be combined with any other promos, if you can get just the right dollar amount you can get $25 worth of photos for just shipping of $5-7. They have wonderful card stock 11x14 large prints that are awesome for framing for around $20.

The shutterfly codes are only for online orders, I didn't get them for the ones I bought in-store.

Thanks for the heads up, grabbed 2 today. Since I had a $50 reward points, this makes it even better. :)

NO DEAL in California BB, today:

10 TB WD - $299
4 TB WD - 85

Everything seems at MSRP Prices or higher, disappointed!

NO DEAL in California BB, today:

10 TB WD - $299
4 TB WD - 85

Everything seems at MSRP Prices or higher, disappointed!

I think the current deal is for shipping only, not in store, and you have to be a Best Buy member (part of the early access deals, Monday, November 19–Tuesday, November 20.).

I think the current deal is for shipping only, not in store, and you have to be a Best Buy member (part of the early access deals, Monday, November 19–Tuesday, November 20.).
Thursday and friday it goes live in store (aka true black friday deals)

these aren't really helium drives like a couple mentioned right?

because helium are guaranteed to fail in 3-5 years, the atoms are so small compared to oxygen they slowly leak out

these aren't really helium drives like a couple mentioned right?

because helium are guaranteed to fail in 3-5 years, the atoms are so small compared to oxygen they slowly leak out
Will wrapping them in a tinfoil hat prevent the atoms from escaping?

But kidding aside, actual big data testing shows its not an issue, after 3 years the SMART variable for helium levels has only been below 100 on one of their drives and its still running fine.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/helium-filled-hard-drive-failure-rates/

yeah no. I'm still not buying a helium drive if that's what these are, I'll wait for the 8TB again

btw the 10TB deal is live again as of 1pm EST 11/22

Citation needed.

helium not only slowly escapes from metal canisters there is also something called helium (and hydrogen) embrittlement where the particles slide through the metal molecules and fracture them because they are so small compared to other atoms

so I have 500gb drives that are a decade old and I can still plug them in and read every single byte

but in a decade everyone is going to be like "omg my entire archive is gone" on their 10TB+ drives

http://google.com/search?q=helium+embrittlement

I have been using an 8TB version with the old red label drives for portable hard drive purposes. Perhaps it's time to shuck that one and replace the portable drive with one of these less shuckable ones?

Can we prove that this is something that will affect these HDDs specifically? I've not done a ton of research into the subject, but its important to figure out if the implementation is as such that embrittlement would be likely to take place at all and if so, at what rate and what would be the consequence?

After all, I cant imagine that Western Digital et al would be ignorant as to put such a major potential flaw that would reflect badly on their drives, right? After all Helium drives tend to be the higher end, high capacity and durability drives with He specifically advertised as a feature. High end HDD and other storage manufacturers know that a bad run of products can blight their name for a long, long time in the most valuable sectors of the market like business and enthusiasts , so I'd think they'd be very careful lest the end up with another "3TB platters suck" or "Seagate sucks" problem!

Last edited:
My server is ancient, rebuilt it with a Core 2 duo, Yea it's due for an upgrade soon. But the PSU is only 4 or 5 years old seasonic. These should be ok correct?

As far as HD failure, I always run redundancy, but I'm not especially worried about helium escaping from the drives. In the end it will just get full or air and will probably continue to operate. Plus you should get a SMART warning right? In 3 years (likely longer) are you going to care you have to replace your 10TB drive with a 15 TB drive? if it throws a smart warning?

yeah no. I'm still not buying a helium drive if that's what these are, I'll wait for the 8TB again

btw the 10TB deal is live again as of 1pm EST 11/22

Arnt the 8tbs drive helium too?

Definitely something to think about.

I could not purchase this in the store itself. I had the 10TB in my hands but the SKU was wrong and I could not get the price of $180.

However, back at home, I was able to purchase these at the stated price. Free shipping and they should be on the way tomorrow!

can someone enlighten me as to the difference between WD "my book" "elements" and "easystore" branding?

Back