10TB WD Easystore + 32GB USB $180

• Thread starter Deleted member 184142
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 184142

BF pricing on the 10TB with a 32GB USB drive live. The 8TB were very popular at $160, this is the 10TB at $180, so still a very good deal for those looking to shuck the drives.

G3Waf0rh.jpg

Thanks for posting. I would really like to know which drives are in these. Does anyone have any experiences/thoughts?
Are these essentially the same drives that were in the 8tb drives?
I am looking to build a new NAS and these would fit the bill nicely since the boxed RED drives are still very expensive.
I have 9 of the 8tb version and have had very good luck with them.

Any comments appreciated.

From what I've found googling, these suffer from the same 3.3V pin requirement as the 8tb white label drives. Molex to SATA or taping seems to be the fix action.

They are helium 5400rpm drives.

At this price you should definitely get the 10TB, and not the 8TB (which lately has been selling for $150).

From what I've found googling, these suffer from the same 3.3V pin requirement as the 8tb white label drives. Molex to SATA or taping seems to be the fix action.

This is actually an issue with old power supplies.. not hard drives.

BTW: I just noticed something weird. I searched on Bestbuy.com and it was $289.99 but if I click through your link it's the price you said - $179.99!

BTW: I just noticed something weird. I searched on Bestbuy.com and it was $289.99 but if I click through your link it's the price you said - $179.99!
Site probably botched something since these are early BF deals that run from 11/8-11/11. If you don't buy by the 11th you'll have another chance around BF.

Generally in the 8-10 year range, however some of the 5-8 year psu were backwards compatible and suffer the same issue most backpanes on qnap, synology and the like work fine.
You can find more info about the issue including a list of devices/PSU folks have tested on the 8TB Compendium Page

I'm really hoping they do a BF deal of $140 again for the 8TB, the $180 for the 10TB is really tempting though, I need more iops rather than more space though.

Generally in the 8-10 year range, however some of the 5-8 year psu were backwards compatible and suffer the same issue most backpanes on qnap, synology and the like work fine.
You can find more info about the issue including a list of devices/PSU folks have tested on the 8TB Compendium Page

The spec changed in 2016 and as far as I know, PSUs haven't generally updated their cables. (The few that are listed as working on that page are probably mistakes). Backplanes are immune because they don't supply 3.3v, unlike ATX PSUs.

The cleanest fix is to remove the 3.3v pin from the modular plug.

The spec changed in 2016 and as far as I know, PSUs haven't generally updated their cables. (The few that are listed as working on that page are probably mistakes). Backplanes are immune because they don't supply 3.3v, unlike ATX PSUs.

The cleanest fix is to remove the 3.3v pin from the modular plug.

When I got my 8TB a year or so ago, a WD Red from an Easystore, it didn't work on my Intel Backplane, this drive doesn't have the 3.3 issue but maybe my backplane doesn't support 8TB drives, you think that may be a possibility? I have a couple of Green 4TB and a Red 4TB hooked to the backplane with no issues.
I ended up sticking the drive in my gaming PC.
IMG_2367.JPG

Thanks OP, I picked up two to upgrade my Seagate NAS. Had a $15 cert I had to use from that spend $100 promo. Placed 2 different orders to get 2xshutterfly promos

There’s a version without the USB that is $289.99, the $279.99 is a Early BF Edition.

Honestly at this price it's kind of worth it even if you just use them as an external that never really leaves the computer.

I'm really hoping they do a BF deal of $140 again for the 8TB, the $180 for the 10TB is really tempting though, I need more iops rather than more space though.

Wow, that's lame, looks like the brand new Seasonic Focus that I just got won't even work with these. =\

Honestly at this price it's kind of worth it even if you just use them as an external that never really leaves the computer.

Wow, that's lame, looks like the brand new Seasonic Focus that I just got won't even work with these. =\

Don't sweat it. It's a very simple fix. Visit the 8TB Compendium Page link above and you'll see. I have 8 of the 8TB units with an old Corsair power supply and had to modify a couple power cables I bought on ebay to get them to play nice with my PS but it only took literally minutes to do.

I'm looking for a 10TB drive. Will this most likely be the best deal of the season?

I have an EVGA 1000P2, will it have the 3.3v issue?

Will these be fine for my plex server. Not a lot of writing. Mostly reading since once I copy something I tend to leave it

Will these be fine for my plex server. Not a lot of writing. Mostly reading since once I copy something I tend to leave it
These will be excellent for that purpose. They should last a long time. I have a lot of the 8tb (8x8tb in one case) versions just for that purpose. Now that I know these are EMAZ drives I will go get a couple because the price is too good to pass up.
Also of note BB has a WD 4tb portable drive with the included 32 gig thumb-drive for $79.99 as well - through Sunday.

Hmm.. What do you with the 16x new 8TB Reds I have.

Haha, likewise. If any of them are the Helium type and 256mb cache, I'd certainly be interested to purchase.

Edit: I seem to recall there's a certain CrystalDisk visible flag that shows if a drive is Helium type or not.

In any event, the new 10TB drives seem to be a similarly good deal if they prove to be as reliable and high spec'd etc... as the best models of the 8TB variants.

I hope this bastard lives nowhere near me.

That being said, it's only 2520$ worth of drives. I say "only" because people are dropping 2600$ or more on a pair of GPUs that probably won't even last them 2-5 years, while most HDDs will last you several.

no, the only specs shown was what you see on the Synology screen as he just put them in his 12 bay Synology unit.

Another member cleaned out 2 of his local Best Buys, wish I had money to drop for that amount of drives.

Damn. I picked up 6 and that hurt my wallet. Can't imagine doing 14 or more. Evidently I need a new job.

One would think that BackBlaze is buying these to shuck...

I hope this bastard lives nowhere near me.

That being said, it's only 2520$ worth of drives. I say "only" because people are dropping 2600$ or more on a pair of GPUs that probably won't even last them 2-5 years, while most HDDs will last you several.

The drives have a 2 year warranty, most of'em should last at least double that.

I picked up 2 more today at my local BestBuy. It showed out of stock and the area with the portable storage also was cleared out, but I found 2 in a display Kiosk near the Apple stuff so keep an eye out.

Now to figure out if I want to get 2 more and upgrade my 4-bay and 2-bay NAS unit too.

415C78F0-6152-4C0A-A747-8978E5E7EB66.jpeg
E2AF897B-6BC8-47CD-8386-A7D299BCA9DB.jpeg

One would think that BackBlaze is buying these to shuck...

BackBlaze is migrating all their old 4TB drives to 12TB drives and looking at going even bigger in the very near future. They don't care about price/GB as much as they do getting the biggest drive they can find in mass quantities. Majority of their cost is in power and infrastructure, not drives. They talk about that in their last drive stats report: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/2018-hard-drive-failure-rates/ It is cheaper to replace small drives with bigger ones than it is to add another rack to the datacenter.

Back