10GigE NIC Recommedations

peanuthead

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking to play with 10GigE on the cheap. Anyone recommend an inexpensive set of NICs for this? It can be either copper or fiber as the two hosts will have a direct connection. Dual port preferred but single port is fine too. Thanks!

You can get a pair of Brocade 1020's dirt cheap on ebay. The only downside is the TwinAX has to be Brocade so limited options there. If you're doing direct connections then this will work fine. Connectivity outside of that, i'd look at Intel all the way.

Get a couple of used Mellanox connectx-3 cards. A relatively cheap QSFP+/QSFP+ cable to link the two hosts. 40gbe ethernet!

we also use them widely

excellent but there are issues with firmware updates and drives

intel = no complains

ps another mellanox bonus is infiniband :D

Get a couple of used Mellanox connectx-3 cards. A relatively cheap QSFP+/QSFP+ cable to link the two hosts. 40gbe ethernet!

Intel is always the safe bet especially with ESXi, but never the cheap bet.

Then again, do you really want to drop cash on a bad solution that you end up throwing out in favor of Intel anyway? Might be more expensive up front but cheaper in the long run.

You might prefer the Intel x540 - unlike the x520 it is passively cooled (one less thing to break).

windows beta drives that don't work is what we currently have with our connectx4 cards

broken hardware so connectx3 expected to do native 40 gbe cannot be flashed to do so and we have use them in 10 gbe mode or run slower ipoib

dropped srp support in windows server 2012 r2 so we have to use 2008 r2 on old hardware

enough? :)

What issues? I assume you meant 'drivers'?

i would prefer sfp+ over rj45

lower latency

less watts

Intel is always the safe bet especially with ESXi, but never the cheap bet.

Then again, do you really want to drop cash on a bad solution that you end up throwing out in favor of Intel anyway? Might be more expensive up front but cheaper in the long run.

You might prefer the Intel x540 - unlike the x520 it is passively cooled (one less thing to break).

Yeah, but SFP+ gets far more expensive if you ever look at adding a switch too - RJ45 is safe and easy from that aspect, especially since you don't have to deal with idiotic TwinAx compatibility lists.

I have a couple of the Brocade 1020s and I wish I would of spent more on the X520/540 so I could just use regular cables. Once I bought the cables I needed for the cheaper 1020s it cost the same if not more and now I have to spend more to go to RJ45

op does not need switches

we got mellanox-branded cables

Yeah, but SFP+ gets far more expensive if you ever look at adding a switch too - RJ45 is safe and easy from that aspect, especially since you don't have to deal with idiotic TwinAx compatibility lists.

You can get a pair of Brocade 1020's dirt cheap on ebay. The only downside is the TwinAX has to be Brocade so limited options there. If you're doing direct connections then this will work fine. Connectivity outside of that, i'd look at Intel all the way.

I have 3 of these and use Brocade SFPs, they work flawlessly I am really happy with them and the combined cost of 3 x Brocade 1020's plus the SFPs was pretty good.

I bought a job lot of 4 x Brocade 10GE SFPs for about $90.

For a simple point to point link, get mellanox connectx-3 EN cards. QSFP+ connectors and give you 40gbe enet. I got new (open box) units on ebay for $300 or so.

I've been looking at the Mellanox ConnectX-3 cards also, they are actually not badly priced now compared to when I last looked!! Must admit I am tempted. Broad comment but I'm assuming QSFP to SFP breakout cables are supported as well?

I can't swear to that, since I haven't done that, but I was told by the guy who sold them on ebay that was true. e.g. you could get a QSFP/SFP adapter and then plug into a 10gbe switch if need be.

Back