10Gb switch for home use with 8xSFP+ ports and at least 4x10Gbe ports?

jlficken

n00b
So far I'm seeing basically the EdgeSwitch ES-16-XG and the Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM but beyond that everything is $1500+ and uses an insane amount of power.

It appears that the MikroTik is fine for L2 at line speed but it tanks with L3 since it falls back to the CPU for that task while the EdgeSwitch handles line speed at L3 from what I can find.

I have a standard networking sized rack so am limited to basically 14" deep.

Ideally I'd love a Netgear M4300 12x12F but they are $2K+
icon_smile_sad.gif

Any other suggestions that I am missing?

Qnap has an unmanaged option below, the unifi or edgeswitch with ubiquiti is pretty much your cheapest option for a managed/L3 though and you already noted the MikroTik potential issues.
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/qsw-1208-8c

The MikroTik CRS312-4C+8XG is the best/cheapest option IMO I don't have a use L3 though.

Last edited:
I've seen that QNAP a few times now and WISH it was VLAN capable :-(

I really don't need any L3 features right now so maybe I should try the Mikrotik from somewhere like Amazon that has a great return policy.

I'll probably put it off for a bit as I'm starting to get analysis paralysis.

You could consider building your own. Probably the cheapest fully managed option right now. You would need a motherboard with enough pci-e slots (expansion cables/cards) and a cpu that has enough lanes (1st gen Threadripper?), but I bet it could all be done for less than $1000.

You could consider building your own. Probably the cheapest fully managed option right now. You would need a motherboard with enough pci-e slots (expansion cables/cards) and a cpu that has enough lanes (1st gen Threadripper?), but I bet it could all be done for less than $1000.
The edgemax and unifi are only about $600 so I think $1k is probably out :p.

The edgemax and unifi are only about $600 so I think $1k is probably out :p.

You are probably right. However, doing it your self opens up the possibility for other functionality as well. 10G switch and a NAS in the same box? Not a bad value.

Fair, if most the PCIE lanes are used for network, might be hard to fit the HBAs though (or vice versa)

Yeah "rolling my own" switch is probably more than I care to do right now.

What sucks is that I only really care about having the uplink ports be SFP+. I don't actually have any individual 10Gb devices nor do I really need any but I would like to have 10Gb to the router for Inter-VLAN routing purposes.

I can't find anyone that makes such a switch though.

How many ports total do you need?
Theres an 8p 10Gbe trendnet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BV2VYVF/?th=1

But for the cost you may as well snag the ubiquiti
(also your unicorn switch was 20 SFP (1Gb ports) and only 4-10Gb SFP+)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Total I need at least 16 in order to replace my ES-12F

Of those at least half need to be SFP+. The rest can be 10GbE ports.

That's the conclusion I have come to as well.

I should have said that only 4 needed to be SFP+ the others could be SFP which is why the FS.com switch would have worked.

Someday I'll just byte the bullet and grab the ES. I'm just cheap :) I got my SG350-28P switch as an open box for $150 a few months back.

Horrible idea. Bridging a bunch of NICs to act as a switch is going to perform, at best, sub-optimally compared to a proper switch. Even if you can maintain line-speed across NICs, latency will probably be high. I'd expect power consumption would also be worse.

Horrible idea. Bridging a bunch of NICs to act as a switch is going to perform, at best, sub-optimally compared to a proper switch. Even if you can maintain line-speed across NICs, latency will probably be high. I'd expect power consumption would also be worse.

I doubt latency would be high enough to negate any real world usage in a home or even small business setting. Espescially if you dedicated a core for for the processing. I would agree with you on power consumption, and would not be worth it for a pure switch solution.

What about something like this?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arista-DCS...310886?hash=item364b955166:g:4KAAAOSwKWJcr7cV

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I doubt latency would be high enough to negate any real world usage in a home or even small business setting. Espescially if you dedicated a core for for the processing. I would agree with you on power consumption, and would not be worth it for a pure switch solution.

What about something like this?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arista-DCS...310886?hash=item364b955166:g:4KAAAOSwKWJcr7cV

It's too big for my rack sadly.

I'm probably going to just have to go with the EdgeSwitch as it makes the most sense both performance wise and cost wise in my situation since I already have all of the SFP transceivers that I need for the EdgeSwitch except for a couple of SFP+ transceivers for uplinks.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back