10gb Switch and Intel x540-t2

N Bates

Limp Gawd
I have just added a switch Netgear xs708t 10gb switch and connected my PC and the OmniOS NAS via an intel x540-t2 on each.

I can see that the NAS connection on the switch is green and looks like working although I haven't tried to transfer anything to it yet as I can't get the Windows PC to connect to the switch somehow.

The switch comes as default with 192.168.0.239 IP address with subnet 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.0.254 gateway, I have left it as is and set a static IP for the NAS in the 192.168.0.x and the same for the PC for the intel x540's.

I have disabeled and re-enabled the x540 on the windows PC, tired a different cable without success, should I maybe have reconfigured the switch to be in the same IP address range of my home network 192.168.1.x and connected the xs708t to the home network switch Netgear GS724TV3 and set the IP's for the PC and the NAS in this range accordingly?

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XS708T/XS708T_XS716T_IG_EN.pdf

Do you have a router that can do DHCP?

For all of my gear that allows it, I do DHCP, and set a reservation in my Edgerouter 4.

If that doesn't work, then despite being on the same network, the nodes may not be on the same broadcast domain. Are there any VLANs set? Are subnet masks the same on every port in use?

[please disregard if I'm asking apparently stupid questions; when something simple that should 'just work' doesn't, I try to roll it back to stupid to help think outside of the box]

Do you have a router that can do DHCP?

For all of my gear that allows it, I do DHCP, and set a reservation in my Edgerouter 4.

If that doesn't work, then despite being on the same network, the nodes may not be on the same broadcast domain. Are there any VLANs set? Are subnet masks the same on every port in use?

[please disregard if I'm asking apparently stupid questions; when something simple that should 'just work' doesn't, I try to roll it back to stupid to help think outside of the box]

I do have a router that does DHCP and some of my devices are setup with DHCP addressing however there are other devices and PC's that are using static IP addresses and for a NAS at least I wouldn't want DHCP even with reservation, I don't have any VLAN's setup.

iam just thinking because I use static IP address on the 10gb switch devices I should have probably configured the switch accordingly to use static IP's but not sure if this is what's causing my issue for the PC x540 not to connect.

but not sure if this is what's causing my issue for the PC x540 not to connect.
How far do you get?

Can you get to the switch from the PC? Can you get to anything else?

From the switch, can you get to the PC and the NAS?

From the NAS, can you get to the switch?

I don't think there's going to be an 'ah ha!' moment, but can definitely map the problem.

All the devices are only three meters or so from the 10gb switch.

I can't get from the PC to the 10gb switch and this is my problem.

From the switch I can get to the NAS.

I can get from the NAS to the switch.

The x540 on my PC is somehow showing not connected with "X cable cable uplugged" message on the adaptor, although it is physically connected, tried different cables too and can send a message from the PC to indentify the adaptor connection from the intel windows properties.

The x540 on my PC is somehow showing not connected with "X cable cable uplugged" message on the adaptor, although it is physically connected, tried different cables too and can send a message from the PC to indentify the adaptor connection from the intel windows properties.

I had this issue with an old Mellanox going to an old Aruba (and then my new HP 10Gbit and even my Edgerouter 4 SFP...). Replaced the card with an Aquantia 10Gbase-T and moved on; it was getting too arcane for me and I just wanted the damn thing to work.

However, when I wanted to trunk the HP to the Aruba over SFP+, I ordered custom DAC cables from fs.com to make sure I got the right thing, and those do work. If you want to be sure, see if they have a solution that would be guaranteed to work, or wait for a custom cable. I picked up two and even got the two switches to trunk the ports into a single interface, not that I could use 20Gbps, but hey, it worked!

[my situation was exactly as described- connection just wouldn't enable when coming from the Mellanox]

It's nice to see 10gb truncking working on 10gb but I can't see that is yet required with the current hard drives SSD speeds, in my case I just want the damn thing to work, however, I am sure, it is just my setup possibly that needs to be amended somehow.

It's nice to see 10gb truncking working on 10gb but I can't see that is yet required with the current hard drives SSD speeds, in my case I just want the damn thing to work, however, I am sure, it is just my setup possibly that needs to be amended somehow.

Oh, I imply zero utility. None. I bought two because I didn't want to have to go back and hope that I could get another cable if / when the first one broke (by me or otherwise). So I hooked them both up on receipt to test, wondered if it would work, gave it a stab, and it came up.

Although- a single NVMe SSD could easily saturate 40Gbit ;).

As to your problem- do check DAC compatibility, or perhaps try sourcing cheap transceivers and some fiber. But do keep the price of an Aquantia AQ-107 in mind; you can easily eclipse that US$70 entry point (you can buy the cheapest one on Amazon, they're all the same), and with a short length of CAT6 be up and running.

Well...well...I have removed the intel x540-t2 and replaced it with a spare that I have and it all works good now, I guess it just died, I think I will be sending this one back for replacement or repair, I thing these have a lifetime waranty on them.

Well...well...I have removed the intel x540-t2 and replaced it with a spare that I have and it all works good now, I guess it just died, I think I will be sending this one back for replacement or repair, I thing these have a lifetime waranty on them.

I was wondering why you were using those- they're nice cards, but I'd never pay MSRP for one (not that they make them anymore).

I was wondering why you were using those- they're nice cards, but I'd never pay MSRP for one (not that they make them anymore).

I know what you mean, but I wanted something that works and if any issues they get resolved quickly, however, I have just got in touch with Intel support and they told me that the card is retail as it supports a valid yottamark code, so they've asked for two photographs one of each side and the invoices, I told him that the photos I can do, but for the invoices I can not remember where I put them.

So, I forwarded the photos, without invoices of course and wait to see what they say, hopefully I will get an RMA number to send it back, but if they press on the invoices, I am not going to be happy paying that price for three cards and won't have the support that I thought I paid for.

I will wait and see.

Keep us updated. I've bought a few Intel nics off ebay, knock on wood no issues so but would be nice to know how they handle it.

Keep us updated. I've bought a few Intel nics off ebay, knock on wood no issues so but would be nice to know how they handle it.

I will, initially they've asked for some photos and then they said that they have sent the case to Intel Europe team as I am based in the UK, so far haven't heard anything yet, but I have only received the e-mail yesterday.

I have received an e-mail from Intel with details on how to send the item, I will be receiving a separate e-mail from DHL for the collection of the X540-T2 to be returned to Netherlands, once this has been received and inspected, apparently I will be receiving a replacement x540-T2, so far so good, just waiting to receive an e-mail from DHL.

I will keep you posted.

I have received an e-mail from DHL express with a despatch label and instruction on how to package the goods, the collection by DHL will be made on Tuesday 20/08/2019.

Sounds like they are going to take care of it. That is good.

Yes, brilliant service, DHL collected the defective one yesterday and I just had an e-mail that the replacement will be delivered tomorrow, wow, brilliant service.

DHL made the delivery today, a brand new Intel x540-T2 retail exactely the same as they collected, the one they collected manufacturing date was 2016, this was made in 2018.

So all good.

Back